Upcoming Offseason

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Upcoming Offseason

Post by Ecbucs »

404751595740070B72555F535B5E1C515D5F320 wrote: The Vázquez and a cleaning house of the organization are two separate situations. With all that has gone on inside the clubhouse this season such as fights, suspensions and fines the interest in the team is very low. As someone mentioned how do you sell tickets for next year, or will PNC want to extend the naming rights to the ballpark? This season has hit bottom just like in 1985 with the drug trials. After that season a new manager, Jim Leyland was hired, as well as a new GM Syd Thrift. I would not be surprised if a new manager and GM lead the Pirates in 2020.

I hate to be a contrarian, but Neal will be back.  Bottom line, Neal serves Nutting's purposes.

might start calling him Igor.
UtahPirate

Upcoming Offseason

Post by UtahPirate »

2A2D3B333D2A6D61183F35393134763B3735580 wrote: The Vázquez and a cleaning house of the organization are two separate situations. With all that has gone on inside the clubhouse this season such as fights, suspensions and fines the interest in the team is very low. As someone mentioned how do you sell tickets for next year, or will PNC want to extend the naming rights to the ballpark? This season has hit bottom just like in 1985 with the drug trials. After that season a new manager, Jim Leyland was hired, as well as a new GM Syd Thrift. I would not be surprised if a new manager and GM lead the Pirates in 2020.

I hate to be a contrarian, but Neal will be back.  Bottom line, Neal serves Nutting's purposes.

The answer to how do you sell tickets is ... Neal will not be back.

The only way to create interest is to get rid of NH and I think Hurdle. Whatever the new GM does, whether it is a tear down, or just a few trades to tweak the lineup, will be enough to create enough interest to sell tickets and keep the money flowing, which is the most important thing to Nutting.
Ecbucs

Upcoming Offseason

Post by Ecbucs »

7756434A724B50435647220 wrote: The Vázquez and a cleaning house of the organization are two separate situations. With all that has gone on inside the clubhouse this season such as fights, suspensions and fines the interest in the team is very low. As someone mentioned how do you sell tickets for next year, or will PNC want to extend the naming rights to the ballpark? This season has hit bottom just like in 1985 with the drug trials. After that season a new manager, Jim Leyland was hired, as well as a new GM Syd Thrift. I would not be surprised if a new manager and GM lead the Pirates in 2020.

The only way to create interest is to get rid of NH and I think Hurdle. Whatever the new GM does, whether it is a tear down, or just a few trades to tweak the lineup, will be enough to create enough interest to sell tickets and keep the money flowing, which is the most important thing to Nutting.

somebody has to take the fall and Searage isn't big enough this time.
rucker59@gmail.com

Upcoming Offseason

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

597F7E697F6F1C0 wrote: The Vázquez and a cleaning house of the organization are two separate situations. With all that has gone on inside the clubhouse this season such as fights, suspensions and fines the interest in the team is very low. As someone mentioned how do you sell tickets for next year, or will PNC want to extend the naming rights to the ballpark? This season has hit bottom just like in 1985 with the drug trials. After that season a new manager, Jim Leyland was hired, as well as a new GM Syd Thrift. I would not be surprised if a new manager and GM lead the Pirates in 2020.

We shall see soon enough. I expect Hurdle is now gone.  He almost had to be moved out.  But not Neal. If Neal is fired Nutting will almost certainly have to address the situation including introducing the new GM and “the plan” going forward. Nutting isn’t taking any questions on this mess.  That’s Neal’s #1 job in Nutting’s mind.

There is nothing going on with the Pirates that resembles the rest of MLB. Nutting has nothing in common with MLB. No reason to expect Nutting to do anything we would expect.

But the biggest reason I feel certain Neal will be back is I don’t think a new GM or new manager sells a single new ticket. Certainly not enough to justify firing Neal, in Nutting’s mind. Sitting in PNC right now - this mess is beyond anyone other than a new owner with a respectable payroll. The fans aren’t coming back to this.  Not simply because a new hapless GM is delivering the “new” BS message. No one will be giving this organization the time of day unless this owner sells or puts up real money.

I’ve been out here a lot of years and this is the worst I’ve seen it. Even the ushers are depressed, and that’s not a joke.

Neal will try to look like a GM and will fire Hurdle.  He has to do this whether he wants to or not.  I don’t think it’s because of fan expectations, but to try to look like a MLB organization to the rest of MLB.
Bobster21

Upcoming Offseason

Post by Bobster21 »

5D5A4C444A5D1A166F48424E4643014C40422F0 wrote: The Vázquez and a cleaning house of the organization are two separate situations. With all that has gone on inside the clubhouse this season such as fights, suspensions and fines the interest in the team is very low. As someone mentioned how do you sell tickets for next year, or will PNC want to extend the naming rights to the ballpark? This season has hit bottom just like in 1985 with the drug trials. After that season a new manager, Jim Leyland was hired, as well as a new GM Syd Thrift. I would not be surprised if a new manager and GM lead the Pirates in 2020.

We shall see soon enough. I expect Hurdle is now gone.  He almost had to be moved out.  But not Neal. If Neal is fired Nutting will almost certainly have to address the situation including introducing the new GM and “the plan” going forward. Nutting isn’t taking any questions on this mess.  That’s Neal’s #1 job in Nutting’s mind.

There is nothing going on with the Pirates that resembles the rest of MLB. Nutting has nothing in common with MLB. No reason to expect Nutting to do anything we would expect.

But the biggest reason I feel certain Neal will be back is I don’t think a new GM or new manager sells a single new ticket. Certainly not enough to justify firing Neal, in Nutting’s mind. Sitting in PNC right now - this mess is beyond anyone other than a new owner with a respectable payroll. The fans aren’t coming back to this.  Not simply because a new hapless GM is delivering the “new” BS message. No one will be giving this organization the time of day unless this owner sells or puts up real money.

I’ve been out here a lot of years and this is the worst I’ve seen it. Even the ushers are depressed, and that’s not a joke.

Neal will try to look like a GM and will fire Hurdle.  He has to do this whether he wants to or not.  I don’t think it’s because of fan expectations, but to try to look like a MLB organization to the rest of MLB.

I think that sums it up perfectly.
SCBucco

Upcoming Offseason

Post by SCBucco »

3C3B2D252B3C7B770E29232F2722602D21234E0 wrote: The Vázquez and a cleaning house of the organization are two separate situations. With all that has gone on inside the clubhouse this season such as fights, suspensions and fines the interest in the team is very low. As someone mentioned how do you sell tickets for next year, or will PNC want to extend the naming rights to the ballpark? This season has hit bottom just like in 1985 with the drug trials. After that season a new manager, Jim Leyland was hired, as well as a new GM Syd Thrift. I would not be surprised if a new manager and GM lead the Pirates in 2020.

While truthful, you are a buzz kill.
Ecbucs

Upcoming Offseason

Post by Ecbucs »

3C3B2D252B3C7B770E29232F2722602D21234E0 wrote: The Vázquez and a cleaning house of the organization are two separate situations. With all that has gone on inside the clubhouse this season such as fights, suspensions and fines the interest in the team is very low. As someone mentioned how do you sell tickets for next year, or will PNC want to extend the naming rights to the ballpark? This season has hit bottom just like in 1985 with the drug trials. After that season a new manager, Jim Leyland was hired, as well as a new GM Syd Thrift. I would not be surprised if a new manager and GM lead the Pirates in 2020.

this also explains that NH is a toady and has no integrity. He may want to win but he isn't going to try and win.
rucker59@gmail.com

Upcoming Offseason

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

0C1C1D2A3C3C305F0 wrote: The Vázquez and a cleaning house of the organization are two separate situations. With all that has gone on inside the clubhouse this season such as fights, suspensions and fines the interest in the team is very low. As someone mentioned how do you sell tickets for next year, or will PNC want to extend the naming rights to the ballpark? This season has hit bottom just like in 1985 with the drug trials. After that season a new manager, Jim Leyland was hired, as well as a new GM Syd Thrift. I would not be surprised if a new manager and GM lead the Pirates in 2020.

While truthful, you are a buzz kill.

Sorry To have taken the fun out of your baseball season.