MLB All time Pirate LF

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

MLB All time Pirate LF

Post by GreenWeenie »

Only?

If it was only anything, it was only because he played on shitty teams.  Not his doing, but it's the way it is.

We finished last without him. We finished last with him.

Retired because he was injured.
ChitownBucco

MLB All time Pirate LF

Post by ChitownBucco »

Looked it up. Kiner retired with back issues. At the time of his retirement he ranked 6th in all time HR's
ChitownBucco

MLB All time Pirate LF

Post by ChitownBucco »

did Giles play Left or Right?
ArnoldRothstein

MLB All time Pirate LF

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Giles started about 400 games in left, 250 in center, 60 in right. I don't think they ever went into a season planning to play Giles in center, but aside from the year they signed Kenny Lofton their center fielders didn't work out very well.
WildwoodDave

MLB All time Pirate LF

Post by WildwoodDave »

003E3B332038383313362132570 wrote: 1. Ralph Kiner, 2. Barry Bonds, 3. Fred Clark1900-11 13-15( as a

teenager, Possum saw him play). He was a player manager and was the winningest mgr. in Pirate History. 4. Brian Giles 5. Starling Marte

Any additions, subtractions, or thoughts?
Ok guys. Without starting a new topic, MLB named each teams all time CF.. Naturally they picked Cutch. Don't think anyone would argue with that. How about #2? Marte wasn't there long enough. I don't recall anyone who really stood out. Defensively, I have to go with Bill Virdon.Any other ideas
Bobster21

MLB All time Pirate LF

Post by Bobster21 »

152B2E26352D2D2606233427420 wrote: 1. Ralph Kiner, 2. Barry Bonds, 3. Fred Clark1900-11 13-15( as a

teenager, Possum saw him play). He was a player manager and was the winningest mgr. in Pirate History. 4. Brian Giles 5. Starling Marte

Ok guys. Without starting a new topic, MLB named each teams all time CF.. Naturally they picked Cutch. Don't think anyone would argue with that. How about #2? Marte wasn't there long enough.  I don't recall anyone who really stood out. Defensively, I have to go with Bill Virdon.Any other ideas
Andy Van Slyke, Omar Moreno, Matty Alou.
2drfischer@gmail.c

MLB All time Pirate LF

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

6E434E5F58495E1E1D2C0 wrote: 1. Ralph Kiner, 2. Barry Bonds, 3. Fred Clark1900-11 13-15( as a

Ok guys. Without starting a new topic, MLB named each teams all time CF.. Naturally they picked Cutch. Don't think anyone would argue with that. How about #2? Marte wasn't there long enough.  I don't recall anyone who really stood out. Defensively, I have to go with Bill Virdon.Any other ideas

I'll add Lloyd Waner. Not as good as brother Paul, but a pretty fair baseball player in his time.
Ecbucs

MLB All time Pirate LF

Post by Ecbucs »

1D4B5D49465C4C474A5D6F48424E4643014C2F0 wrote: 1. Ralph Kiner, 2. Barry Bonds, 3. Fred Clark1900-11 13-15( as a

I'll add Lloyd Waner.  Not as good as brother Paul, but a pretty fair baseball player in his time.

Max Carey was pretty good too. then there are the Mike Kingery's and Lee Mazilli's.
ArnoldRothstein

MLB All time Pirate LF

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

then there are the Mike Kingery's and Lee Mazilli's.

They traded Lieber for Brant Brown to play center. They were probably the only team in the league who thought he could play center in a park like Three Rivers.
Ecbucs

MLB All time Pirate LF

Post by Ecbucs »

6C5F434241497F4259455E594844432D0 wrote: then there are the Mike Kingery's and Lee Mazilli's.

They traded Lieber for Brant Brown to play center. They were probably the only team in the league who thought he could play center in a park like Three Rivers.

yep, and it turned out he couldn't hit either.