Welcome to doc

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Welcome to doc

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

507D70616677602023120 wrote: I'll have to compare notes with him. I also used to go to Florida to play ball.

Did you play in the Roy Hobbs tournament in Ft. Myers? It's such a thrill.
Bobster21

Welcome to doc

Post by Bobster21 »

6B3D2B3F302A3A313C2B193E34383035773A590 wrote: I'll have to compare notes with him. I also used to go to Florida to play ball.

Did you play in the Roy Hobbs tournament in Ft. Myers?  It's such a thrill.
Yes I did. I played for a Baltimore team in 2010. We didn't do well but I loved the experience and playing in all those different parks including Terry Park. I would have enjoyed doing that frequently but in 2012 I suffered a neurological illness that left me with nerve damage in my legs and ended my playing days. Prior to that I had done an Orioles fantasy camp in Sarasota, another unofficial Orioles camp at Pirate City and 9 Pirate camps there. I was also playing in a rec league in Baltimore.
NJBucsFan

Welcome to doc

Post by NJBucsFan »

Not a new member, but all this talk of first games reminds me of my first Pirates game. 1979 Word Series, my dad got me tickets for game 1 as a birthday present. I grew up in Maryland, so I was an Orioles fan at the time (I eventually saw the light of course) and my dad was always a Pirates fan.

We drove the two and a half hours to the game and...it was snowed out! Broke my ten year old heart, because I didn't think we'd be able to go back again. But the next day after school we made the drive to Baltimore once again! Orioles scored five in the first, and ended up winning 5-4. So I got to see the Orioles win a World Series game, and my dad got to see the Pirates win the series, so we both won.

Really became a Pirates fan in the 80's when I moved there for college, and got to go to games for $5 and an empty Coke can.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Welcome to doc

755855444352450506370 wrote: I'll have to compare notes with him. I also used to go to Florida to play ball.

Yes I did. I played for a Baltimore team in 2010. We didn't do well but I loved the experience and playing in all those different parks including Terry Park. I would have enjoyed doing that frequently but in 2012 I suffered a neurological illness that left me with nerve damage in my legs and ended my playing days. Prior to that I had done an Orioles fantasy camp in Sarasota, another unofficial Orioles camp at Pirate City and 9 Pirate camps there. I was also playing in a rec league in Baltimore.

Sorry to hear of your physical ailment. I hope you're able to still do many of the things you like to do.

I've been to the Hobbs tourney about eight times and I feel like a kid each time. Playing on those fields is a blast. Currently I play in both the over-60 and the over-65 tournaments over a two week stretch. I'm always impressed by the level of play, especially in the playoff rounds. I'm going to continue to play until my mom calls to say it's time to come in for dinner.
Bobster21

Welcome to doc

Post by Bobster21 »

6E382E3A352F3F34392E1C3B313D3530723F5C0 wrote: I'll have to compare notes with him. I also used to go to Florida to play ball.

Sorry to hear of your physical ailment.  I hope you're able to still do many of the things you like to do.

I've been to the Hobbs tourney about eight times and I feel like a kid each time.  Playing on those fields is a blast.  Currently I play in both the over-60 and the over-65 tournaments over a two week stretch.  I'm always impressed by the level of play, especially in the playoff rounds.  I'm going to continue to play until my mom calls to say it's time to come in for dinner.
Yes, play as long as you can! The Hobbs tourney is great!
2drfischer@gmail.c

Welcome to doc

4D606D7C7B6A7D3D3E0F0 wrote: I'll have to compare notes with him. I also used to go to Florida to play ball.

Sorry to hear of your physical ailment.  I hope you're able to still do many of the things you like to do.

I've been to the Hobbs tourney about eight times and I feel like a kid each time.  Playing on those fields is a blast.  Currently I play in both the over-60 and the over-65 tournaments over a two week stretch.  I'm always impressed by the level of play, especially in the playoff rounds.  I'm going to continue to play until my mom calls to say it's time to come in for dinner.

Hobbs started a new six-team tournament last April in Asheville. We had a good time there, too, and are signed-up to return this year. It's a good way to jump start the summer season.
Bobster21

Welcome to doc

Post by Bobster21 »

0254425659435358554270575D51595C1E53300 wrote: I'll have to compare notes with him. I also used to go to Florida to play ball.

Hobbs started a new six-team tournament last April in Asheville.  We had a good time there, too, and are signed-up to return this year.  It's a good way to jump start the summer season.

In 2003 I played pretty much the entire year. I had my summer rec league, then a fall league, then a winter indoor league that led up to fantasy camp, then it was almost time to start practicing for the summer rec league. I couldn't get enough. Unfortunately, the indoor winter league folded after 1 season. :)
2drfischer@gmail.c

Welcome to doc

614C41505746511112230 wrote: I'll have to compare notes with him. I also used to go to Florida to play ball.

Hobbs started a new six-team tournament last April in Asheville.  We had a good time there, too, and are signed-up to return this year.  It's a good way to jump start the summer season.

In 2003 I played pretty much the entire year. I had my summer rec league, then a fall league, then a winter indoor league that led up to fantasy camp, then it was almost time to start practicing for the summer rec league. I couldn't get enough. Unfortunately, the indoor winter league folded after 1 season.  :)

Dang, I'm jealous.  When I grow up, I want to be like you.  Every time I drive past one of those big bubbles, I dream about someone starting an indoor winter league.  I'd love to play year 'round, with a two week break every few months just to recharge the battery.  I've never played a game that's as much fun to play as baseball.
Bobster21

Welcome to doc

Post by Bobster21 »

6A3C2A3E312B3B303D2A183F35393134763B580 wrote: I'll have to compare notes with him. I also used to go to Florida to play ball.

In 2003 I played pretty much the entire year. I had my summer rec league, then a fall league, then a winter indoor league that led up to fantasy camp, then it was almost time to start practicing for the summer rec league. I couldn't get enough. Unfortunately, the indoor winter league folded after 1 season.  :)

Dang, I'm jealous.  When I grow up, I want to be like you.  Every time I drive past one of those big bubbles, I dream about someone starting an indoor winter league.  I'd love to play year 'round, with a two week break every few months just to recharge the battery.  I've never played a game that's as much fun to play as baseball.

The indoor league was run by former Oriole Larry Sheets at his facility in Westminster, Md. A great way to spend the winter.
shedman

Welcome to doc

Post by shedman »

" I've never played a game that's as much fun to play as baseball."

---

You mean even more fun than golf?