Glasnow and Meadows

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Glasnow and Meadows

Post by Ecbucs »

6D6C7766703037030 wrote: I think it's an indictment of their failure to give him any starts last year, and I also think he'd be pitching just as well for us if he were still here.
I couldn't disagree more. Even Glasnow himself admitted as much. It was in his head and he needed a fresh start. He was a hot mess here. Now adding Meadows and Baz are what I had a real problem with.

unfortunately, its easy to bring money up in most deals with the Pirates. One of the things that made Archer attractive to the Bucs was his contract (cheap for a starting pitcher) and years of control.

Adding those factors in the number of pitchers that the Pirates would want to deal for was tiny. Now we have to root for Archer to be better in Pittsburgh than he was in Tampa and Keller has to be an impact pitcher too.

iabucco

Glasnow and Meadows

Post by iabucco »

I am torn on the trade. I tend to think we over value our prospects both by ownership and the fans. I also always thought that Glasnow would struggle and then figure it out. But, he had struggled much more than I thought he would. I do like that this was a bold move. The kind of move the team really hasn't done before. The downside is that the risk factor was much higher than the reward because both Meadows and TG could become really good players.

The fact that Baz had to be added to the trade also makes me think that even the Ray didn't value both Glasnow and Meadows that much. Maybe NH is a terrible poker player but have to think he isn't that bad.
CTBucco

Glasnow and Meadows

Post by CTBucco »

I agree with the line of thinking that Glasnow was not given enough of a chance in the majors here. And I think his improvement has a bit to do with the fact that TB is allowing him to pitch up in the zone. The instruction here through his development was all about keeping it down, throwing 2-seamers. In doing so, they neutered the big guy with the blazing fastball (see Cole, Gerritt). Guys with plus FBs can blow them past hitters up at the letters. They can be less predictable and give hitters less time to respond.

I don't understand trading Meadows. I know you have to pay to get, but Cutch was gone. Dickerson won't be here very long. He was their OF depth and has the potential to be a star. It's too hard for the Bucs to find that.

Add in the lack of follow through building a win-now team, and I just hate this trade and hope that one day I'll be happy to be very wrong about that.