Draft Signings

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

Draft Signings

Post by MaineBucs »

Pirates officially sign Skenes for $9.2 vs a slot value of $9.721.

While it is great to see Skenes sign, the Pirates are now more than $1 mil under slot value. I am anxious to see how (if) they spend this money, and if not, their explanation for why they didn't use the full amount of money available to them.

Bobster21

Draft Signings

Post by Bobster21 »

426E66616A4D7A6C7C0F0 wrote: Pirates officially sign Skenes for $9.2 vs a slot value of $9.721.

While it is great to see Skenes sign, the Pirates are now more than $1 mil under slot value.   I am anxious to see how (if) they spend this money, and if not, their explanation for why they didn't use the full amount of money available to them.
So he received a record bonus but less than slot value. Good for him for not trying to break the bank. Sounds like he just wants to play baseball.
MaineBucs

Draft Signings

Post by MaineBucs »

Just to be clear --- I am not denigrating Skenes for signing for less than slot value or the Pirates for signing him for $9.2 mil; which is nearly $500,000 more than any other draft pick has received in the past.

What I am curious about is how the Bucs will or will not allocate the draft pool monies that have saved by signing a number of players to under-slot deals and if they are trying to save money rather than drafting players who may have had more of an upside when they had the advantage of the largest pool of draft signing monies ever available. The Bucs, like all organizations, need talent, and they need to leverage every opportunity they have available to them to bring in the best talent that they can.

Lastly, I credit everyone, particularly Skenes and his agent, for making this a no drama signing. I am excited that Skenes is now in the organization.

2drfischer@gmail.c

Draft Signings

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

6E424A4D4661564050230 wrote: Pirates officially sign Skenes for $9.2 vs a slot value of $9.721.

While it is great to see Skenes sign, the Pirates are now more than $1 mil under slot value.   I am anxious to see how (if) they spend this money, and if not, their explanation for why they didn't use the full amount of money available to them.

They should have him start tomorrow’s game.
WildwoodDave2

Draft Signings

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

7D505D4C4B5A4D0D0E3F0 wrote: Pirates officially sign Skenes for $9.2 vs a slot value of $9.721.

So he received a record bonus but less than slot value. Good for him for not trying to break the bank. Sounds like he just wants to play baseball.
Agreed- Also from all indications, it would not have been

this easy with Crews.
UtahPirate

Draft Signings

Post by UtahPirate »

I think they might need some extra $$ to sign the CB round kid Mueth.
mouse

Draft Signings

Post by mouse »

One thing you can't say about the Pirates is that they're cheap - https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/pi ... 77b3&ei=56

(Okay, I have special abilities and can still say they're cheap - even this signing is underslot.)
Surgnbuck

Draft Signings

Post by Surgnbuck »

I hit on my bet. I said it would be a millisecond for the first yinzer to automatically cry about anyone especially the number one pick signing below slot, and saying the organization is too cheap. Seriously, on the radio, all over SM, no one cares about the guys being signed, only what they signed for.
UtahPirate

Draft Signings

Post by UtahPirate »

Only two kids left to sign out of this draft class.

Mueth gets $700,000 over slot and the 11th and 12th round players get overslot as well.

https://www.piratesprospects.com/2023/0 ... picks.html
2drfischer@gmail.c

Draft Signings

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

0D2C393008312A392C3D580 wrote: Only two kids left to sign out of this draft class.

Mueth gets $700,000 over slot and the 11th and 12th round players get overslot as well.

https://www.piratesprospects.com/2023/0 ... picks.html

Thanks for that article, Ute. Nice summation of the talents of the latest signings.