Keller

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Keller

Post by GreenWeenie »

You know things are tough when the hype...is all hype. :)
2drfischer@gmail.c

Keller

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

1B3D3A2F262A3D2B23480 wrote: Keller was nothing more than hype from Huntington for a future that never arrives in Pittsburgh.  The current Management's hype for the future that never arrives in Pittsburgh is Jose Soriano.   
That's a fictional hype. Make up anything you want. This administration isn't hyping anyone.
______

This sounds like hype to me:

"One of the Pirates’ top prospects is nearing a return to the mound.

Pirates director of sports medicine Todd Tomczyk said on Wednesday that José Soriano, the club’s No. 25 prospect per MLB Pipeline, is expected to begin a rehab assignment in the next five to seven days.

“There's no magic solution. There's no magic number or games,” Tomczyk said. “We'll take that as we see how the body responds, how the stuff plays with each outing.”
That's not hype. Nice stretch though. [highlight]Maybe Doc's team needs a first baseman.[/highlight]

Actually, Surge, at our age, everyone wants to play first.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Keller

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

2D6E776C7F6A7B6D2D1E0 wrote: Well the Padres just signed 44-year old lefty Joe Beimel to a minor league deal.

:o
johnfluharty

Keller

Post by johnfluharty »

If he goes to AAA and struggles that could completely destroy any confidence he has at all - not to be seems like he has much lately. As bad as it may be for the major league team, I'd rather he stick it out in majors this whole season and they can make a decision on his future at the end of the season. Having said that, he needs to be able to go more than two or three innings most of his starts. If he can't even do that then he does need time in AAA.
GreenWeenie

Keller

Post by GreenWeenie »

What will we know about the guy in September that we don't know today?
fjk090852-7

Keller

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Joel Hanrahan as most know is the Indy pitching coach. Joel was a guest on The Fan Morning Show in Pittsburgh today, and listening to him I think that maybe he is what Keller needs. To me I think Keller lacks confidence, and someone like Hanrahan who had some early struggles in the Big Leagues can help him. I even have thought the Bucs should bring in A J Burnett to teach Keller some swagger when on the mound. Keller supposedly has the stuff to be a winning pitcher, but he needs that attitude that says you can’t hit my best pitch.
DemDog

Keller

Post by DemDog »

I heard the Hanny interview and think that if Keller can gain confidence in his command he can be a better than avg SP. Keller needs to learn to trust his stuff and when things go bad just turn his back and remind himself to trust his stuff for the next hitter etc. Burnett might be a guy to work with Mitch a little.
Bobster21

Keller

Post by Bobster21 »

I know that confidence seems to be an issue with him but in all the games he's pitched for the Pirates I really haven't seen the "stuff" that's supposed to put him on the road to stardom. He throws in the upper 90s--like many MLB pitchers--but doesn't seem to have much else. If he just keeps trying to throw the ball past hitters he's not likely to gain much confidence.
DemDog

Keller

Post by DemDog »

664B46575041561615240 wrote: I know that confidence seems to be an issue with him but in all the games he's pitched for the Pirates I really haven't seen the "stuff" that's supposed to put him on the road to stardom. He throws in the upper 90s--like many MLB pitchers--but doesn't seem to have much else. If he just keeps trying to throw the ball past hitters he's not likely to gain much confidence.

In other words, he needs to become a pitcher and not a thrower?
Bobster21

Keller

Post by Bobster21 »

5C7D755C777F180 wrote: I know that confidence seems to be an issue with him but in all the games he's pitched for the Pirates I really haven't seen the "stuff" that's supposed to put him on the road to stardom. He throws in the upper 90s--like many MLB pitchers--but doesn't seem to have much else. If he just keeps trying to throw the ball past hitters he's not likely to gain much confidence.

In other words, he needs to become a pitcher and not a thrower? 

If he doesn't have the arsenal of pitches to get MLB hitters out, it doesn't matter. Guys like Anderson and Cahill who don't have much "stuff" are pitchers rather than throwers. But with their limitations, there's not a lot they can do. I haven't seen anything from Keller that leads me to think he can dominate MLB hitters either throwing FBs or mixing up his pitches. I just don't see a high ceiling for Keller whether throwing or pitching.