Pirats vs Nats/Scherzer 4/14

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4B47461D141D15181F001A2D0 wrote: I love that Hurdle put Vazquez in the 8th, let him pitch 2 innings and even bat in between. That's how baseball was played decades ago when managers considered Wins more important than Saves. In 1960 Roy Face had 19 plate appearances, including 2 sac bunts and was otherwise 7 for 17 (.412). Today's managers are so rigidly addicted to formulas that such stats are impossible. But kudos to Hurdle (not my favorite manager) for deviating from his usual formulas to try --successfully--to win!
You are so right, Face, Guisti, and Teke all pitched multiple innings in relief. I think today’s managers fear they will blow out the relief pitchers arm if they have them pitch more than an inning.
So true. And lest we forget, in Goose Gossage's only season as a Pirate, Chuck Tanner (his former White Sox manager) used him for 133 innings n 72 games (nearly 2 innings per game) and that was the best season of Gossage's HOF career. Gossage was 5 for 23 batting that year because he usually entered prior to the 9th and often remained in the game more than 1 inning even if he had to bat. That 1 season with the Bucs was the most ABs Gossage ever had but it shows Tanner was only concerned with winning games regardless of who got a save. Gossage led the team with 26 saves but there were 13 more saves divided between 4 other relievers. The save stat should be secondary to winning. Sadly today, managers usually prioritize saves over winning. Kudos to Hurdle today.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Good to win a series on the road as the Bucs have now won 7 of 10. Good opportunity coming up these next 9 games for the Pirates as they have 2 in Detroit, 3 at home with the Giants, and 4 at home with the DBacks. All 3 of these teams are beatable and if the Pirates continue to pitch well like they have and the offense and the bullpen can continue to improve I could see them going something like 6-3 in these 9 games which would put them at 14-9 going into LA to play the Dodgers the last weekend in April with guys like Dickerson and Polanco that much closer to coming back. So good opportunity here for the Pirates these next 10 days or so to continue to take advantage of a somewhat easy schedule and continue to stack wins heading into May.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

A few observations:

1) Yes, it was good that Hurdle gave the ball to Vasquez for 2 innings, but the bad is that neither Kela or Rodriguez appear to be up to the task of holding a lead or keeping a tied game in check. One or both need to step it up and soon if the Bucs are to have any chance of a successful season.

2) E Gon played good defense today, nothiing too spectacular, but he made all the plays with little drama.

3) Marte had a nice game defensively in CF.

4) Burdi's arm may fall off by mid-June, but he has the look of a being a major league reliever.

5) Martin has made a nice first impression. He was overmatched facing Scherzer, but came through in the 9th against the reliever.

6) The umpire missed so many balls - strikes that he should be suspended. Worse, he was not consistent with the misses that he made.

7) Tallion did a good job gutting it out for 6.

8) Hoping that Bell can maintain his current swing without going into some of the histrionics that seem to befall him all too regularly.

9) Perhaps Moran can be an asset offensively.

10) Winning 2 of 3 on the road is nice. Bucs essentially have been in every game until the end except for the one blow-out loss to the Cubs. Always being involved in tight games can be rough, with opportunities to lose as well as to win. The pen needs to help out and be more than 2 deep (Vasquez/Burdi).
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

78545C5B5077405646350 wrote: A few observations:

1)  Yes, it was good that Hurdle gave the ball to Vasquez for 2 innings, but the bad is that neither Kela or Rodriguez appear to be up to the task of holding a lead or keeping a tied game in check.  One or both need to step it up and soon if the Bucs are to have any chance of a successful season.

2)  E Gon played good defense today, nothiing too spectacular, but he made all the plays with little drama.

3)  Marte had a nice game defensively in CF.

4)  Burdi's arm may fall off by mid-June, but he has the look of a being a major league reliever.

5)  Martin has made a nice first impression.  He was overmatched facing Scherzer, but came through in the 9th against the reliever.

6)  The umpire missed so many balls - strikes that he should  be suspended.  Worse, he was not consistent with the misses that he made.

7)  Tallion did a good job gutting it out for 6.

8)  Hoping that Bell can maintain his current swing without going into some of the histrionics that seem to befall him all too regularly.

9)  Perhaps Moran can be an asset offensively. 

10)  Winning 2 of 3 on the road is nice.  Bucs essentially have been in every game until the end except for the one blow-out loss to the Cubs.  Always being involved in tight games can be rough, with opportunities to lose as well as to win.  The pen needs to help out and be more than 2 deep (Vasquez/Burdi). 

maybe it's too early to push him into high leverage situations, but Burdi as a rule V pick is an absolute steal. Clint used him wisely yesterday - late innings but the back of the batting order.

I think I saw 97 from him yesterday. Before TJ he was 100+.

Anyway, I look for Burdi to get the ball later and later in the game if the other two keep struggling.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

292E38303E296E621B3C363A3237753834365B0 wrote: A few observations:

1)  Yes, it was good that Hurdle gave the ball to Vasquez for 2 innings, but the bad is that neither Kela or Rodriguez appear to be up to the task of holding a lead or keeping a tied game in check.  One or both need to step it up and soon if the Bucs are to have any chance of a successful season.

2)  E Gon played good defense today, nothiing too spectacular, but he made all the plays with little drama.

4)  Burdi's arm may fall off by mid-June, but he has the look of a being a major league reliever.

5)  Martin has made a nice first impression.  He was overmatched facing Scherzer, but came through in the 9th against the reliever.

6)  The umpire missed so many balls - strikes that he should  be suspended.  Worse, he was not consistent with the misses that he made.

8)  Hoping that Bell can maintain his current swing without going into some of the histrionics that seem to befall him all too regularly.

10)  Winning 2 of 3 on the road is nice.  Bucs essentially have been in every game until the end except for the one blow-out loss to the Cubs.  Always being involved in tight games can be rough, with opportunities to lose as well as to win.  The pen needs to help out and be more than 2 deep (Vasquez/Burdi). 

maybe it's too early to push him into high leverage situations, but Burdi as a rule V pick is an absolute steal.  Clint used him wisely yesterday - late innings but the back of the batting order.

I think I saw 97 from him yesterday.  Before TJ he was 100+.

Anyway, I look for Burdi to get the ball later and later in the game if the other two keep struggling.

Sounds like Kyle Crick should be back tomorrow.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

7C4E42425664474E4346494E2F0 wrote: A few observations:

maybe it's too early to push him into high leverage situations, but Burdi as a rule V pick is an absolute steal.  Clint used him wisely yesterday - late innings but the back of the batting order.

I think I saw 97 from him yesterday.  Before TJ he was 100+.

Sounds like Kyle Crick should be back tomorrow.

The potential for the pen is absolute lights out. My preseason pick was based on a great rotation and a great pen. I fully expect the pen to work out the kinks. If they do, this staff makes the Pirates a very good team.