MLB All time Pirate LF

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave

MLB All time Pirate LF

Post by WildwoodDave »

1. Ralph Kiner, 2. Barry Bonds, 3. Fred Clark1900-11 13-15( as a

teenager, Possum saw him play). He was a player manager and was the winningest mgr. in Pirate History. 4. Brian Giles 5. Starling Marte

Any additions, subtractions, or thoughts?
Bobster21

MLB All time Pirate LF

Post by Bobster21 »

Stargell, Bay, Al Martin.
mouse

MLB All time Pirate LF

Post by mouse »

I would go with Stargell or Kiner. I'm too young to remember Fred Clark but would defer to Possum's recollections on that option. I thought Al Martin played centerfield and I thought Bonds did also when he was in Pittsburgh.
Bobster21

MLB All time Pirate LF

Post by Bobster21 »

33312B2D3B5E0 wrote: I would go with Stargell or Kiner. I'm too young to remember Fred Clark but would defer to Possum's recollections on that option. I thought Al Martin played centerfield and I thought Bonds did also when he was in Pittsburgh.
Bonds played CF as a rookie in 1986 but moved to LF in 1987 when Van Slyke was acquired for CF. Martin occasionally played CF but was the primary LFer 1993-99.
DemDog

MLB All time Pirate LF

Post by DemDog »

It is spelled Clarke. He was a good one for sure but did not hit for much power. But those were the dead-ball days.

I go for Kiner for sure. No matter the score we waited around 'til the last inning to see if Kiner would crush one out of the House of Thrills. He was such a slugger. He was not a great defender but he compares to Pops when it comes to that area.

I'd rate Giles in 3rd place. He had some pop and sure as heck played some serious OF defense.

Bobster21

MLB All time Pirate LF

Post by Bobster21 »

18393118333B5C0 wrote: It is spelled Clarke.  He was a good one for sure but did not hit for much power.  But those were the dead-ball days.

I go for Kiner for sure.  No matter the score we waited around 'til the last inning to see if Kiner would crush one out of the House of Thrills.  He was such a slugger.  He was not a great defender but he compares to Pops when it comes to that area. 

I'd rate Giles in 3rd place.  He had some pop and sure as heck played some serious OF defense. 
Taking nothing away from Kiner but when he played, Forbes Field dimensions were reduced from 365 to 335 down the LF line and 406 to 376 to left-center. When he was traded, the longer lengths were restored. I wonder how many more HRs Stuart, Clemente, Maz and Clendenon would have had with the shorter dimensions. For all his power, Stuart only hit 48 HRs at Forbes Field in 3.5 seasons. In 2 seasons with the Red Sox he hit 43 at Fenway.
ArnoldRothstein

MLB All time Pirate LF

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Unexpected number: BB-Ref has data back to 1904 for most putouts in a season by a left fielder. Kiner sits at #13 (1948) with 360 and #25 (1947) with 353. I think that these are the team's top 10 seasons:

Bonds 366 1989

Clarke 361 1909

Kiner 360 1948

Max Carey 358 1912

Kiner 353 1947

Clarke 346 1908

Carson Bigbee 342 1922

Carey 337 1913

Bonds 331 1990

Carey 319 1914

2drfischer@gmail.c

MLB All time Pirate LF

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

This thread's reminded me that the Pirates franchise has had not only some outstanding offensive left fielders, but also terrific players in center and right fields as well.
WildwoodDave

MLB All time Pirate LF

Post by WildwoodDave »

1D303D2C2B3A2D6D6E5F0 wrote: Stargell, Bay, Al Martin.
I would take Al Martin over Marte as well
ChitownBucco

MLB All time Pirate LF

Post by ChitownBucco »

Ralph Kiner has to be a top all time under rated slugger

Guy stepped into the league, led the league in HR's as a rookie and continued to lead the league for seven straight years.

Only because his career was so relatively short does he not get the notoriety. Why did his career end so quick? 32 years old and retired after a pretty mediocre year with Cleveland.