Don't understand

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GermanTownship

Don't understand

Post by GermanTownship »

With the current lack of offense, I don't understand the logic and reason why Kang is not playing short this spring. He can't be that bad. According to the Pirates (Hurdle & Hunnington), he is in very good shape and moving very well. I would so much rather see both he and Moran on a semi-regular basis than the current situation. With Hurdle's Sunday and day game lineup changes, both of them would in all probability be "rested" anyway.
DemDog

Don't understand

Post by DemDog »

Good question but I look at Kang's offense he is hitting .200, Gonzalez is hitting .214 and Newman is at .269. Both Kang and Kramer have 5 RBIs. As for Moran he is at .231 with 6 RBIs.

My worry about Kang is that all his hits have been HRs and nothing else. Yes, he is a much better fielder than Moran but I will not say he is the best shortstop guy now.

When push comes to shove I think Gonzalez wins the OD SS job with Newman going back to AAA for regular at bats. And that Reyes and Kang would play SS in relief.

I hate to see them waste Kang's power but he also needs to show that he can get other types of hits and draw some walks before I anoint him the starting or even backup SS or 3B.
maher.timothy20@gm

Don't understand

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

Moran with another error today. I'd put Kang at 3B in pen.

And Newman won't get regular at bats in AAA, since Tucker will start there.
mouse

Don't understand

Post by mouse »

He might get the at bats at second or in the outfield. He does have options, which they love to use to protect someone else who doesn't.
notes34

Don't understand

Post by notes34 »

52737B527971160 wrote: Good question but I look at Kang's offense he is hitting .200, Gonzalez is hitting .214 and Newman is at .269.  Both Kang and Kramer have 5 RBIs.  As for Moran he is at .231 with 6 RBIs.

My worry about Kang is that all his hits have been HRs and nothing else.  Yes, he is a much better fielder than Moran but I will not say he is the best shortstop guy now. 

When push comes to shove I think Gonzalez wins the OD SS job with Newman going back to AAA for regular at bats.  And that Reyes and Kang would play SS in relief. 

I hate to see them waste Kang's power but he also needs to show that he can get other types of hits and draw some walks before I anoint him the starting or even backup SS or 3B. 
Kang needs to play period. I'm not worried at all about the batting average. He still has an .OPS of 1.110. This team is going to struggle to score runs you simply cannot play Moran over Kang.
CarolinaBucco

Don't understand

Post by CarolinaBucco »

You know what would have been a really good idea? ... To go out and SIGN AN ACTUAL MAJOR LEAGUE SHORTSTOP !!
Bobster21

Don't understand

Post by Bobster21 »

0C2E3D202326212E0D3A2C2C204F0 wrote: You know what would have been a really good idea? ... To go out and SIGN AN ACTUAL MAJOR LEAGUE SHORTSTOP !!
Yes but that requires AN ACTUAL FRONT OFFICE!
OrlandoMerced

Don't understand

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Gonzalez and Newman have both shown signs of life the past week. They survived about half a decade with a SS that couldn't surpass a .700 OPS, in the least it does appear that these two could occupy that .680-.700 OPS range and play better defense.

I would have rather they brought in a Galvis type as security, but the performances from Tucker and Hayes this ST make me less inclined to criticize them for leaving the holes on the left side of the infield.