Time for Mitch Keller???

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Time for Mitch Keller???

Post by SteadyFreddy »

He is now 5-0 with a 3.45 ERA with 56 strikeouts in 47 innings pitched. The Pirates have to get him up here in the rotation in the next week or so with everything that is going on with the injuries to Taillon and Williams, with Archer essentially imploding every start he makes, and with guys like Brault and Kingham who are not reliable there are really no better options at this point and time. You can’t keep using the opener and pitching Durapau to start games every 4th or 5th day it’s just not going to work eventually, and you can’t have only 3 starters in your rotation when you are 24-21 and currently in a wildcard position at the moment.

The Pirates I feel are really tempting fate at this point not doing anything with this pitching staff at the moment and the logical guy to call up and help you at this point is Keller. He better make a start here for the Pirates in the next week or so there is absolutely no excuse for him not too at this point.
Bobster21

Time for Mitch Keller???

Post by Bobster21 »

3 of his last 4 starts have been good but he's also struggled in 4 of his 9 starts including one of his five wins. Maybe he'll be recalled out of desperation but his stats, other than the W-L record, aren't very impressive. 3.45 ERA, 1.426 WHIP, 47 hits and 20 BBs in 47 IP. I don't know how much help he will be at this stage of his development.
SammyKhalifa

Time for Mitch Keller???

Post by SammyKhalifa »

It's crazy how we keep having the same conversations here.  Remember when we said that same thing about Glasnow and decided that NH was lying when he said he wasn't ready?  We go though this same thing every time there's a guy people like in Indy.  If he comes up right now it's because there's no other option, not because it's a good idea. 

I mean I think we'll see him coming soon (ish) but doing it right now just seems like a kneejerk reaction.
SteadyFreddy

Time for Mitch Keller???

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Well there really are no other options which is why he should come up. Believe me if Brubaker was healthy I would bring him up over Keller. How much worse could Keller be then Chris Archer right now or Brault. These guys can’t even get out of the 4th or 5th inning. You can’t continue to go with a 3 man rotation and use the opener every 5th day is my point. This team is 24-21 and in a playoff position right now for crying out loud the front office owes it to the fans to do something and give this team a better chance to compete and right now I feel they are not doing that at all.
IABucFan

Time for Mitch Keller???

Post by IABucFan »

I see both sides of this. One one hand, we’re not in week 1 any more. Were nearly a third of the way through the season, and somehow, through all the injuries, the Pirates are currently in a playoff position. They have 2/5 of a starting rotation right now. It’s not fair to expect Musgrove and Lyles to be great every time out. Hall of Famers aren't great every single time they take the ball. But that’s what we’re expecting out of them. Archer has been horrendous. We need someone to take the ball and give competitive innings. Not just eat innings. They need to be competitive. Keller seems to be the best option, yet, I personally don’t believe he’s ready. I predict he'll come up, get shelled (Great American Bandbox isn’t the ideal place to make your first MLB start), and people will be all upset, making the same calls to “trade him for a bag of balls,” that they were making about Glasnow.

Keller might be the answer. But, personally, I think they should call Dallas Keuchel and find out what it would really take. After June 3, there’s going to be a lot more teams vying for his service. Offer him what he wants and sign him. If he’s been working out and staying in shape, he could presumably step right into the rotation. Now, I realize this will never happen. But people expect Keller to come up and be Pedro Martinez. More than likely, he won’t be. He might be that good someday. Who knows? But more than likely, he’s first taste of MLB isn’t going to go like people envision.
SammyKhalifa

Time for Mitch Keller???

Post by SammyKhalifa »

1E16152234113639570 wrote: I see both sides of this. One one hand, we’re not in week 1 any more. Were nearly a third of the way through the season, and somehow, through all the injuries, the Pirates are currently in a playoff position. They have 2/5 of a starting rotation right now. It’s not fair to expect Musgrove and Lyles to be great every time out. Hall of Famers aren't great every single time they take the ball. But that’s what we’re expecting out of them. Archer has been horrendous. We need someone to take the ball and give competitive innings. Not just eat innings. They need to be competitive. Keller seems to be the best option, yet, I personally don’t believe he’s ready. I predict he'll come up, get shelled (Great American Bandbox isn’t the ideal place to make your first MLB start), and people will be all upset, making the same calls to “trade him for a bag of balls,” that they were making about Glasnow.

Keller might be the answer. But, personally, I think they should call Dallas Keuchel and find out what it would really take. After June 3, there’s going to be a lot more teams vying for his service. Offer him what he wants and sign him. If he’s been working out and staying in shape, he could presumably step right into the rotation. Now, I realize this will never happen. But people expect Keller to come up and be Pedro Martinez. More than likely, he won’t be. He might be that good someday. Who knows? But more than likely, he’s first taste of MLB isn’t going to go like people envision.
You know, I was not on the Dallas Kuechel thing at all but the more time goes the more I'm heading that way. I think part of it is all of the confusion over just what the draft pick would be. I do wonder what everyone else is seeing that we (as fans) aren'--but even if he disappoints (for him) he's by default probably better than what we have, and like Freddy said Brubaker is hurt who would be my choice otherwise.
DemDog

Time for Mitch Keller???

Post by DemDog »

665458584C7E5D54595C5354350 wrote: I see both sides of this. One one hand, we’re not in week 1 any more. Were nearly a third of the way through the season, and somehow, through all the injuries, the Pirates are currently in a playoff position. They have 2/5 of a starting rotation right now. It’s not fair to expect Musgrove and Lyles to be great every time out. Hall of Famers aren't great every single time they take the ball. But that’s what we’re expecting out of them. Archer has been horrendous. We need someone to take the ball and give competitive innings. Not just eat innings. They need to be competitive. Keller seems to be the best option, yet, I personally don’t believe he’s ready. I predict he'll come up, get shelled (Great American Bandbox isn’t the ideal place to make your first MLB start), and people will be all upset, making the same calls to “trade him for a bag of balls,” that they were making about Glasnow.

You know, I was not on the Dallas Kuechel thing at all but the more time goes the more I'm heading that way.  I think part of it is all of the confusion over just what the draft pick would be.  I do wonder what everyone else is seeing that we (as fans) aren'--but even if he disappoints (for him) he's by default probably better than what we have, and like Freddy said Brubaker is hurt who would be my choice otherwise. 

Keuchel is not the answer for the Bucs considering what he wants.  If he was asking for something reasonable I think he would have signed somewhere a long time ago.  He has only had one "great" year and that was 3 going on 4 yrs ago.  Take away that 2015 season and his barely a .500 pitcher.  No way should the Bucs spend $20+ million on a .500 pitcher. 

That much money might not hurt them for one year when pro-rated but what does it do to the team overall in the next few years when they will have more than a few players hitting arb and possible FA and Keuchel's salary stands in the way of keeping those players.  If Keuchel would take something reasonable like the $13 mil he got last year for one year and then walk again without draft compensation I say give it a shot.  But no big-time long term deal for him.

I know that is not any help for the Bucs current SP situation and maybe the injuries and bad decisions on the part of TBMTIB will scuttle this season. But there are seasons beyond this the promise better things to come.
SammyKhalifa

Time for Mitch Keller???

Post by SammyKhalifa »

42636B426961060 wrote: I see both sides of this. One one hand, we’re not in week 1 any more. Were nearly a third of the way through the season, and somehow, through all the injuries, the Pirates are currently in a playoff position. They have 2/5 of a starting rotation right now. It’s not fair to expect Musgrove and Lyles to be great every time out. Hall of Famers aren't great every single time they take the ball. But that’s what we’re expecting out of them. Archer has been horrendous. We need someone to take the ball and give competitive innings. Not just eat innings. They need to be competitive. Keller seems to be the best option, yet, I personally don’t believe he’s ready. I predict he'll come up, get shelled (Great American Bandbox isn’t the ideal place to make your first MLB start), and people will be all upset, making the same calls to “trade him for a bag of balls,” that they were making about Glasnow.

You know, I was not on the Dallas Kuechel thing at all but the more time goes the more I'm heading that way.  I think part of it is all of the confusion over just what the draft pick would be.  I do wonder what everyone else is seeing that we (as fans) aren'--but even if he disappoints (for him) he's by default probably better than what we have, and like Freddy said Brubaker is hurt who would be my choice otherwise. 

Keuchel is not the answer for the Bucs considering what he wants.  If he was asking for something reasonable I think he would have signed somewhere a long time ago.  He has only had one "great" year and that was 3 going on 4 yrs ago.  Take away that 2015 season and his barely a .500 pitcher.  No way should the Bucs spend $20+ million on a .500 pitcher. 

That much money might not hurt them for one year when pro-rated but what does it do to the team overall in the next few years when they will have more than a few players hitting arb and possible FA and Keuchel's salary stands in the way of keeping those players.  If Keuchel would take something reasonable like the $13 mil he got last year for one year and then walk again without draft compensation I say give it a shot.  But no big-time long term deal for him.

I know that is not any help for the Bucs current SP situation and maybe the injuries and bad decisions on the part of TBMTIB will scuttle this season.  But there are seasons beyond this the promise better things to come.

Yeah, I'm under the assumption that he wants a one year deal to get out from under the draft pick thing and try again next year.
DemDog

Time for Mitch Keller???

Post by DemDog »

6C5E52524674575E5356595E3F0 wrote: I see both sides of this. One one hand, we’re not in week 1 any more. Were nearly a third of the way through the season, and somehow, through all the injuries, the Pirates are currently in a playoff position. They have 2/5 of a starting rotation right now. It’s not fair to expect Musgrove and Lyles to be great every time out. Hall of Famers aren't great every single time they take the ball. But that’s what we’re expecting out of them. Archer has been horrendous. We need someone to take the ball and give competitive innings. Not just eat innings. They need to be competitive. Keller seems to be the best option, yet, I personally don’t believe he’s ready. I predict he'll come up, get shelled (Great American Bandbox isn’t the ideal place to make your first MLB start), and people will be all upset, making the same calls to “trade him for a bag of balls,” that they were making about Glasnow.

I know that is not any help for the Bucs current SP situation and maybe the injuries and bad decisions on the part of TBMTIB will scuttle this season.  But there are seasons beyond this the promise better things to come.

Yeah, I'm under the assumption that he wants a one year deal to get out from under the draft pick thing and try again next year.

That would be a nice assumption if it is true. Been following it on MBTRs and I get the sense that he wants the moon even for one year! Will be nice to see what happens and if the Bucs get in his market.
Ecbucs

Time for Mitch Keller???

Post by Ecbucs »

5A7B735A71791E0 wrote: I see both sides of this. One one hand, we’re not in week 1 any more. Were nearly a third of the way through the season, and somehow, through all the injuries, the Pirates are currently in a playoff position. They have 2/5 of a starting rotation right now. It’s not fair to expect Musgrove and Lyles to be great every time out. Hall of Famers aren't great every single time they take the ball. But that’s what we’re expecting out of them. Archer has been horrendous. We need someone to take the ball and give competitive innings. Not just eat innings. They need to be competitive. Keller seems to be the best option, yet, I personally don’t believe he’s ready. I predict he'll come up, get shelled (Great American Bandbox isn’t the ideal place to make your first MLB start), and people will be all upset, making the same calls to “trade him for a bag of balls,” that they were making about Glasnow.

That would be a nice assumption if it is true.  Been following it on MBTRs and I get the sense that he wants the moon even for one year!  Will be nice to see what happens and if the Bucs get in his market.

my guess is the time has passed for Bucs to have a shot at him. The time for the Bucs to get him would be before the draft (where they only surrender their third pick in the draft). After the draft the higher spending teams will have their chances. Although one thing in Bucs favor is that they have a winning record.