Question

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GermanTownship

Question

Post by GermanTownship »

Where would our Buccos be without Melky and Lyles? I know that I questioned the signings. Hopefully, Jordan Lyles has finally figured out how to be a complete pitcher. Evidently, the promise and ability was always there. Could be another J.A. Happ. Until he came to the Pirates, he was also borderline average to mediocre. Look what happened to him. If he continues to pitch well, I would hope the Pirates ownership would attempt to sign him to at least a two year contract before the season is over. They definitely can afford it.
fjk090852-7

Question

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I agree the way Lyles has pitched I wish the Bucs could sign him for a couple seasons, but I would not be surprised if he decided to test the free agent market this offseason.
SteadyFreddy

Question

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Both of these signings by Neal have been very good and without them the Pirates definitely wouldn’t be 2 games over .500. So I don’t give Huntington too much credit anymore for the things he does but these two signings have been good ones.
CTBucco

Question

Post by CTBucco »

Interesting position for Lyles. Do you believe in what you’ve done over 10(?) starts?  Or do you take an offer from the Bucs which is almost certainly discounted if you do keep it up and which is a steal for you if you regress to career norms?  I suppose it depends what the Bucs might offer. And from management’s perspective, how long do you wait since any discount you can get over market value (at peak performance) shrinks the longer he keeps doing it?

So, if they make an offer this week, what would it have to be to tempt Lyles?
notes34

Question

Post by notes34 »

3/18m?
DemDog

Question

Post by DemDog »

54554E5F49090E3A0 wrote: 3/18m?

Depending on how his season progresses I think this is a good starting offer.
Ecbucs

Question

Post by Ecbucs »

can he become a free agent after this season? or do the Pirates have one more year of control?

If he thinks he can be a starter all year and is a free agent after the season he could probably get a deal worth at least ten million for 3 years.

If he is eligible for arbitration and lets say he is a successful starter, 185 innings, ERA of 3.30 or less, strikeouts 8 per nine innings he could probably get 8 or 9 million for next year.
Roberto218

Question

Post by Roberto218 »

Pay it and hope that he goes for it it!
BenM

Question

Post by BenM »

Three years is actually kind of long in the new free agent market. Only a handful of pitchers got that for this year. Charlie Morton and JA Happ got two.
notes34

Question

Post by notes34 »

6443486B260 wrote: Three years is actually kind of long in the new free agent market. Only a handful of pitchers got that for this year. Charlie Morton and JA Happ got two.
Lyles is only 28 that's why I suggested 3 years.