Yasiel Puig or Hunter Pence...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I know this might be thinking way outside the box but I think the Pirates should consider signing Puig or Pence  for just a 1 year deal for maybe something like 7-8 million a year to play in the outfield with Reynolds and Polanco. They are both still out there as a free agents  and nobody has signed them and both can still play and can add some much needed offense to this lineup. The Pirates obviously have the money to sign somebody so go and do it and at least fill some holes and then trade these guys for prospects at the deadline. I don’t think going into the season with guys like Heredia and Jason Martin as potential starters is good enough. Go out and spend some damn money.
NewMexicoLobo

Post by NewMexicoLobo »

10372622273A05312627273A430 wrote: I know this might be thinking way outside the box but I think the Pirates should consider signing Puig or Pence  for just a 1 year deal for maybe something like 7-8 million a year to play in the outfield with Reynolds and Polanco. They are both still out there as a free agents  and nobody has signed them and both can still play and can add some much needed offense to this lineup. The Pirates obviously have the money to sign somebody so go and do it and at least fill some holes and then trade these guys for prospects at the deadline. I don’t think going into the season with guys like Heredia and Jason Martin as potential starters is good enough. Go out and spend some damn money.
Cherington has already said he's looking outside of the organization for an outfielder to replace Marte. My guess is that he's probably already talking to guys like who you say -- and I would include Kevin Pillar in that group.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

674C5E644C51404A4665464B46290 wrote: I know this might be thinking way outside the box but I think the Pirates should consider signing Puig or Pence  for just a 1 year deal for maybe something like 7-8 million a year to play in the outfield with Reynolds and Polanco. They are both still out there as a free agents  and nobody has signed them and both can still play and can add some much needed offense to this lineup. The Pirates obviously have the money to sign somebody so go and do it and at least fill some holes and then trade these guys for prospects at the deadline. I don’t think going into the season with guys like Heredia and Jason Martin as potential starters is good enough. Go out and spend some damn money.
Cherington has already said he's looking outside of the organization for an outfielder to replace Marte. My guess is that he's probably already talking to guys like who you say -- and I would include Kevin Pillar in that group.
Puig just does not appear to be a good add to the clubhouse. He is a loose cannon and I just don’t think his presence with a rookie manager would be a good fit.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I would not want either.

Puig because of his volatility and Pence because of his long-term decline.

I would prefer that the Bucs take a flyer on a player who is a minor league player with limited or no major league experience (such as Keon Buxton from 5 years ago) and see if they could add some value. While Reyes didn't perform very well last year, Reyes showed flashes at the end of 2018 and enough to be a semi-factor in the Bucs overall plans for 2019.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

I'm not in favor of either Puig or Pence at this point for reasons already mentioned, but I do think BC needs to acquire a legitimate major league center fielder. He doesn't have to be a star, just someone who can play the position in a steady manner. The club might be embarrassing enough without someone running around out there who's obviously over-matched. Besides, with Polanco potentially in RF for most of the games, a good center fielder is a must.
BenM

Post by BenM »

Does anyone know if Cherington or Shelton talked about Polanco last weekend? He's been shut down two straight seasons for the same shoulder injury. And when he was brought back last season, it seemed like he struggled to throw to the cutoff men. And an outfielder who can't throw isn't much of an outfielder.
WildwoodDave

Post by WildwoodDave »

Puig is not in the category of an Antonio Brown but somewhat close - no need for that
CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

No thanks on either of those guys. Maybe Domingo Santana can bring his mix of K's, dingers, and poor defense to one of the corner spots? Pillar could work too.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

My concern is that Reynolds likes to play CF but is really good a LF in PNC Park.

I say BC and NuttJob should spend some $s on both Puig and Pillar. Puig for RF and Pillar for center. Will allow Puig to learn to behave himself and go FA in 2021.

I don't put Puig in the same class as AB. AB was all world and Puig is just a very, very good player. Perhaps a rookie manager and his bench coach can turn Puig around. What does NuttJob have to lose but money. Oh, I forgot NuttJob still has the first $ he earned a long time ago.

IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

Frankly, I don't want anyone who might jeopardize getting the #1 pick in 2021. That's what the Pirates are playing for this year. If you're going to lose 90, might as well go all the way and lose 100. It doesn't matter. But the difference between picking #1 and #5 in 2021 might matter a whole lot in 2026.