Great out of the Gate

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

INbuc

Great out of the Gate

Post by INbuc »

Before we got cable in 1978, we would get one or two baseball games a week on TV. However, I could get all the Cubs, Reds, and Cardinals games on the radio. Anytime the Bucs played one of these teams I tuned in. And many nights I listened to the Reds and Cards just to get updated scores. One night in 1975, the Reds’ Marty Brenneman gave me the first review of a new Pirate pitcher after winning his first big league game. Brenneman said something like “John Candelaria is going to be a problem in this division for a long time.” In the middle of a decade long arms race between the Bucs and the Reds, I am sure Brenneman knew all about Candelaria’s arrival.

Candelaria had a great rookie season. But in that era, he wasn’t the only Pirate to have a strong rookie season. Don Robinson, Randy Tomlin, and Jose DeLeon were highly effective in their first seasons. A couple decades later, I remember Zach Duke had a similar type season.

I am sure forgot or left out others who were strong out of the gate, but I never forgot the five I mentioned. Does anyone else have memories of great Pirate rookie pitchers?

iwatch

Great out of the Gate

Post by iwatch »

In the mid to late 80’s I seem to recall Mike Dunne having a great rookie year. I was excited about his arrival as he had pitched on the US Olympic baseball team. Seems like he only lasted a few years but I don’t recall why
ArnoldRothstein

Great out of the Gate

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Tim Wakefield's probably No. 1 on the list: 8-1 down the stretch, 2 complete game wins in the playoffs.

Sean Burnett was 5-2 with five straight wins before he fell back to 5-5. He was probably pitching hurt for the last month.
ArnoldRothstein

Great out of the Gate

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Rich Loiselle had a decent cup of coffee in 1996, 20.2 innings. He got shoved into the closer role in 1997, because the team miraculously came up with six plausible starters, and rang up 29 saves.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Great out of the Gate

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

I remember Woodie Fryman having a fairly decent rookie season and who can forget Bruce Kison's impact in '71.
Bobster21

Great out of the Gate

Post by Bobster21 »

George "Red" Witt 1958. 9-2, 1.61 ERA, 3 shutouts.
JollyRoger

Great out of the Gate

Post by JollyRoger »

I remember John Smiley made the team in 1987 and pitched in relief. He was converted to a starter in 1988 and won 13 games.

Of course he would go on to become a 20 game winner with the Bucs in 1991
ChitownBucco

Great out of the Gate

Post by ChitownBucco »

I can't remember if Todd Ritchie was technically a rookie when he came over from (the twins I think) but he was close to a rookie and his is first year with the Pirates he had a very impressive first year.
Bobster21

Great out of the Gate

Post by Bobster21 »

6843425F445C45695E4848442B0 wrote: I can't remember if Todd Ritchie was technically a rookie when he came over from (the twins I think) but he was close to a rookie and his is first year with the Pirates he had a very impressive first year.
Ritchie was in the Twins BP for 2 years before the Bucs got him. But the Bucs made him as starter.