Pirates 2020: Doing the Roster Math

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

The Pirates currently have 49 - count 'em - players on their 40-man roster due to 9 players on the 60-day DL. Jameson Taillon will certainly be reinstated to the 60-Day DL on Opening Day, allowing the Pirates to promote someone signed to a minor league deal to be added to the 40-man. Recent examples of players added that way include Francisco Liriano and Melky Cabrera.

If my math is right, the Pirates will need to release 14 players in order to protect a handful of Rule 5 candidates, most likely: Ke'Bryan Hayes, Will Craig, Oneil Cruz, Blake Cedarlind & Cody Ponce.

3 free agents will leave, at least until opening day:

1. Lonnie Chisenhall

2. Melky Cabrera

3. Francisco Liriano

3 more fringy position players added late in '19 will also leave:

4. Steve Baron

5. Jake Elmore

6. Corbin Joseph

Fringy pitchers without remaining options are almost certainly going to leave the 40-man:

7. Williams Jerez

8. Dovydas Neverauskas

9. Yefry Ramirez

10. There won't be room for both Clay Holmes and Chris Stratton on the 25-man, and both are out of options. Perhaps one or both will be traded, but for what return?

Four more pitchers will need to go, and despite having remaining options, there's a good chance they won't be scooped up in the Rule 5 anyway. Right-handed middle relievers are a fungible commodity.

11. Yacksel Rios

12. Montana Durapau

13. Alex McRae

14. Parker Markel

I kept Luis Escobar and Geoff Hartlieb on the 40-man because they are younger than those I'm letting go. I kept Wei-Chung Wang because we should have a lefty reliever for call-up.

Nick Burdi and Edgar Santana may or may not be ready to start the 2020 season, but both have options regardless.

I'm holding out hope that Pirate management will see the light and add a veteran lefty starter and reliever to 11 holdovers but that list will come in another post or a reply to this one if anyone wants to see it.

I've been a Pirate fan for almost sixty years, and I cannot remember an off-season where I expected to see so many 40-man departures, but was less concerned. God bless 'em, but these guys just aren't that good.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Yeah, losing players is not a problem.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Great analysis SyrBucco. Do think the Mrs would be willing to move to the Burgh when you become VP of roster management aka GM of the Bucs! ;D

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

We are about a month away from setting the winter 40 man roster, and it looks like your prediction of the players to be removed is right on the money.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

1. Lonnie Chisenhall - gone

2. Melky Cabrera - gone (maybe resign, but should upgrade)

3. Francisco Liriano - gone (maybe resign, but should upgrade)

4. Steve Baron - gone

5. Jake Elmore - gone

6. Corbin Joseph - gone

7. Williams Jerez - gone

8. Dovydas Neverauskas - gone

9. Yefry Ramirez - gone

10.Clay Holmes - gone (send to AAA if he is'n't claimed

11. Chris Stratton - keep on 40 man, give shot to make 25 man

12. Yacksel Rios - gone

13. Montana Durapau - keep on 40 man

14. Alex McRae - gone

15. Parker Markel - gone
PMike

Post by PMike »

625F414C43494260485F4E48492D0 wrote:

2. Melky Cabrera - gone (maybe resign, but should upgrade)

3. Francisco Liriano - gone (maybe resign, but should upgrade)

Sadly, they were two of the brightest spots for us this year.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

If they’re smart, they’ll have a lot more guys come off. No reason to keep Vazquez on there as he'll be racking up saves for the Pennsylvania State Penitentiary Slow-Pitch Softball Team, unless they’re make a deal and trade him to the Florida State Pen team for a PTBNL.

They (the Pirates) should be looking to move Marte, Polanco, Bell, Musgrove, Williams, Newman, Reynolds, and Moran. For starters. I’ll be very disappointed if the Pirates win more than 60 games next year. They need to tear the entire thing down and start from scratch.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

686063544267404F210 wrote: If they’re smart, they’ll have a lot more guys come off. No reason to keep Vazquez on there as he'll be racking up saves for the Pennsylvania State Penitentiary Slow-Pitch Softball Team, unless they’re make a deal and trade him to the Florida State Pen team for a PTBNL.

They (the Pirates) should be looking to move Marte, Polanco, Bell, Musgrove, Williams, Newman, Reynolds, and Moran. For starters. I’ll be very disappointed if the Pirates win more than 60 games next year. They need to tear the entire thing down and start from scratch.

they may not be able to win many more than 60 next year if they don't tear it down.

This team is not going to improve much if at all just by changing the manager and coaches.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

Say goodbye to 4, 5 & 6. The AAAA guys are gone.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

It's really an indictment of NH that he has compiled a 40 man roster involving so many who need to be removed from it.