Williams and Osuna Designated

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Williams and Jose Osuna have been designated for assignment in order to add Max Kranick and Castro to the roster.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

That sounds like BC might not participate in the MLB portion of the Rule 5 draft. Although if something comes up that want to go that way there are a few candidates we've already mentioned that could go the DFA route.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I am going to guess that there was no interest by any team to acquire Williams in a trade. I would think if they could have received even a low minor league player for him they would have pulled the trigger.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Have the rules changed at all? It seems like at the very least they should be able to draft and trade someone.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

00332F2E2D25132E3529323524282F410 wrote: Have the rules changed at all? It seems like at the very least they should be able to draft and trade someone.

I agree, however, I could see the team picking up someone who became available today who they think is better than what they already have (how hard could it be?).

Even with that, it seems like a no brainer that team that picks first should take someone.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

We will see, if Cherington evaluations is good or not. I personally thought Williams was good enough to keep who do they have that is better at least as a number 5 starter. If Williams catches on and does well elsewhere it will tell us something.
shedman

Post by shedman »

Quietly, Cherington dumped $2.8 million more in salary.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

796163646473626578796F0A0 wrote: We will see, if Cherington evaluations is good or not.  I personally thought Williams was good enough to keep who do they have that is better at least as a number 5 starter.  If Williams catches on and does well elsewhere it will tell us something.
Have to believe 5 of Taillon, Keller, Musgrove, Brault, Kuhl and Brubaker head the list. Williams was good for one half of one season but has since regressed so much that it's hard to say he's better than any of those 6. They'll probably give Ponce a chance in ST and they always seem to bring in a washed up veteran to compete for a starting job.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

496469787F6E79393A0B0 wrote: We will see, if Cherington evaluations is good or not.  I personally thought Williams was good enough to keep who do they have that is better at least as a number 5 starter.  If Williams catches on and does well elsewhere it will tell us something.
Have to believe 5 of Taillon, Keller, Musgrove, Brault, Kuhl and Brubaker head the list. Williams was good for one half of one season but has since regressed so much that it's hard to say he's better than any of those 6. They'll probably give Ponce a chance in ST and they always seem to bring in a washed up veteran to compete for a starting job.

I wonder what Ivan Nova is doing next year?
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

You guys know that it seems the BC is hearing us. He is dumping the salary of course but he is also dumping vets who will not really add to the Pirates' future and going with the kids. That is what many of us have been saying all season. Now we will see what the kids have.