2020 Pitching Staff

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

2020 Pitching Staff

Post by fjk090852-7 »

This season is about over even before the Pirates have reached the All Star Break. I thought it might be worthwhile to review their pitchers who could be available next year. Hopefully as starters they would have Taillon, Williams, Archer, and Keller. Potential starters or long guys in the bullpen would be Kuhl, and Musgrove. Late innings guys would be Vasquez, Crick and Santana. If possible I would attempt to bring back Lyles as a starter, or as a bullpen pitcher. We have seen this year what can happen if you need to supplement the bullpen with AAA guys. So I would bring back Lyles as veteran depth. Brault would probably be in the mix as well , and for additional depth they should sign a couple free agents like they did with Liriano this offseason.
Ecbucs

2020 Pitching Staff

Post by Ecbucs »

7874752E272E262B2C33291E0 wrote: This season is about over even before the Pirates have reached the All Star Break. I thought it might be worthwhile to review their pitchers who could be available next year. Hopefully as starters they would have Taillon, Williams, Archer, and Keller. Potential starters or long guys in the bullpen would be Kuhl, and Musgrove. Late innings guys would be Vasquez, Crick and Santana. If possible I would attempt to bring back Lyles as a starter, or as a bullpen pitcher. We have seen this year what can happen if you need to supplement the bullpen with AAA guys. So I would bring back Lyles as veteran depth. Brault would probably be in the mix as well , and for  additional depth they should sign a couple free agents like they did with Liriano this offseason.

Hopefully Brewbaker is healthy and in the mix too. Maybe Burdi in the bullpen and Escobar.

If Lyles is a decent starter for the rest of the season I wonder if the Bucs would make an effort to sign him? Maybe if he would sign for Nova money. I still don't understand why the Pirates don't seem interested at all in left handed pitching.
fjk090852-7

2020 Pitching Staff

Post by fjk090852-7 »

183E3F283E2E5D0 wrote: This season is about over even before the Pirates have reached the All Star Break. I thought it might be worthwhile to review their pitchers who could be available next year. Hopefully as starters they would have Taillon, Williams, Archer, and Keller. Potential starters or long guys in the bullpen would be Kuhl, and Musgrove. Late innings guys would be Vasquez, Crick and Santana. If possible I would attempt to bring back Lyles as a starter, or as a bullpen pitcher. We have seen this year what can happen if you need to supplement the bullpen with AAA guys. So I would bring back Lyles as veteran depth. Brault would probably be in the mix as well , and for  additional depth they should sign a couple free agents like they did with Liriano this offseason.

Hopefully Brewbaker is healthy and in the mix too.  Maybe Burdi in the bullpen and Escobar. 

If Lyles is a decent starter for the rest of the season I wonder if the Bucs would make an effort to sign him?  Maybe if he would sign for Nova money.  I still don't understand why the Pirates don't seem interested at all in left handed pitching.

It would be good to acquire a lefty for the rotation. I forgot about Burdi who was not too bad before his injury. I also did not include a Kela, who if was healthy would be another back end bullpen guy. Maybe I am dreaming, but if all those guys were healthy, and you brought back Lyles and added a lefty starter they could have a competitive pitching staff.
ScottinMass

2020 Pitching Staff

Post by ScottinMass »

This might be 1 too many pitchers, but if healthy....

SP:

Taillon

Williams

Archer

Keller

Musgrove/Kuhl

BP:

Musgrove/Kuhl

Brault

Liriano/Rodriguez

Burdi

Santana

Kela

Crick

Vasquez

AAA:

Brubaker

Agrazal

Escobar

Brentz

DemDog

2020 Pitching Staff

Post by DemDog »

This is from Tim Williams at P2:

"I see Keller as a top of the rotation starter in the majors one day. My concern is that he won’t reach that in Pittsburgh because of [highlight]their out-dated approach toward pitching[/highlight], and his tendency to rely on the fastball too often. This needs to change, otherwise, the Pirates will waste Keller in the same way that they wasted Cole in his final two years with the team."

To me this signals that Uncle Ray and the entire pitching development staff need to go!
IABucFan

2020 Pitching Staff

Post by IABucFan »

It's sad to not even be mid-June and already be looking to 2020. I'm coming to Pittsburgh next week for the two game set with the Tigers, and I've never looked less forward to going to a Bucs game. The only good thing about it is that I'm traveling with my parents, and while I didn't necessarily enjoy family vacations as a child and adolescent, as an adult I'm looking forward to spending time with them.

But, win or lose, I couldn't care less. I went to a Pirates/Cardinals game in St. Louis last August. The Bucs were out of it by then. At least on that one, I got to check another stadium off my list.

That said, I'm cautiously optimistic about 2020. We can't possibly have as many injuries next year as we've had this year. Reynolds has emerged as a good MLB player. Ditto Newman. That should fill two holes. Marte has had a good year. Bell has been great. Even Stallings has been pretty good as a backup catcher. Santana and Kuhl will be back. Hopefully Burdi as well. Maybe Taillon can stay healthy for once.

I'd try to resign Dickerson. If this year has shown us anything, it's that you can never have too many good players.
maher.timothy20@gm

2020 Pitching Staff

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

This list highlights the need to get more pitching via trade and free agency. I don't know if we'll get much for Melky or Dickerson, unfortunately, since their contracts are up at the end of the year, but who knows, maybe some marginal contender will get desperate.