Derek Holland

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

INbuc

Derek Holland

Post by INbuc »

Giants pitcher Derek Holland may have finally let the cat out of the bag.  For years we have questioned the legitimacy of some of the DL (now IL?) moves made both by the Pirates and other  teams.  How many times has a player's poor performance been followed by a swift move to the DL with some nebulous injury?

Yesterday Holland stated he faked an injury so the Giants could justify his recent DL stint.  The Giants' President, GM, and Manager Bruce Bochy rushed to counter Holland's claim that he did not have a bruised finger. 

That these roster sherades occur is no surprise.  What is surprising is that more players, particularly released or scorned players, haven't brought light to this more often.
Ecbucs

Derek Holland

Post by Ecbucs »

You have to wonder if no official medical reports are needed. I guess it is just the trainer signing off, maybe just the GM. (or an assistant)
SammyKhalifa

Derek Holland

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Another question is that if everyone's okay with it, is it an issue?

Still seems kind of slimy to me though, yeah. But what constitutes "hurt enough" to go on the DL?
IABucFan

Derek Holland

Post by IABucFan »

576569697D4F6C65686D6265040 wrote: Another question is that if everyone's okay with it, is it an issue?

Still seems kind of slimy to me though, yeah.  But what constitutes "hurt enough" to go on the DL? 

Probably depends on the player. Jacob Stallings was "injured" and was starting behind the plate in a "rehab" assignment for Indy the next day.
Bobster21

Derek Holland

Post by Bobster21 »

Players keep the trainers busy. The role of the trainers is to treat whatever bumps and bruises the players have in order to keep them on the field. After a number of games, just about everyone has something minor they can be treated for. So when a roster spot is needed and no one is injured enough to be unable to play, a front office can usually find some minor ailment the trainers noted on an essentially healthy player and use it to conveniently IL and rehab the guy to open a roster spot. All teams manipulate the IL and rehab program that way. As long as the trainers can confirm the ailment, even if it's just merely a bruise, the player can be moved to the IL. It is not necessary to justify an inability to play, as MLB does not want to get into the business of evaluating the effects of medical issues.
OrlandoMerced

Derek Holland

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I'm also sure most players would rather take an unnecessary placement on the DL rather than risk being put on waivers and then claimed by another team, requiring the player to have to move.
ScottinMass

Derek Holland

Post by ScottinMass »

1D1516213712353A540 wrote: Another question is that if everyone's okay with it, is it an issue?

Still seems kind of slimy to me though, yeah.  But what constitutes "hurt enough" to go on the DL? 

Probably depends on the player. Jacob Stallings was "injured" and was starting behind the plate in a "rehab" assignment for Indy the next day.
Actually Stallings went on IL 4/21 retroactive to 4/18.

Was assigned to Indy for rehab on 4/27