Bob Gibson

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave

Bob Gibson

Post by WildwoodDave »

Sorry to hear about his passing. We were just posting about him recently. He was a helluva pitcher.
fjk090852-7

Bob Gibson

Post by fjk090852-7 »

He was a great pitcher. He pitched a no hitter against the Pirates in 1971, and I remember when Clemente lined a pitch off his leg, and broke it.
Surgnbuck

Bob Gibson

Post by Surgnbuck »

717D7C272E272F22253A20170 wrote: He was a great pitcher. He pitched a no hitter against the Pirates in 1971, and I remember when Clemente lined a pitch off his leg, and broke it.
I was at work and saw it on a patients television. Those were the first two things we talked about!

RIP to a man who changed the game....by being so good, they made things easier for the hitters!
Javy

Bob Gibson

Post by Javy »

I've always said that he was most fierce competitor I ever saw on a baseball diamond. I saw him pitch on TV many times, and I do not recall him ever having a bad start. Hitters wouldn't dig in on him because he would back you off the plate in a hurry.

What many people don't know, or remember, is that he also toured with the Harlem Globetrotters for several years after he graduated from Creighton University. Bing Devine, the Cards GM, paid him extra money to give up his basketball career.
Bobster21

Bob Gibson

Post by Bobster21 »

656968333A333B36312E34030 wrote: He was a great pitcher. He pitched a no hitter against the Pirates in 1971, and I remember when Clemente lined a pitch off his leg, and broke it.
He pitched to 3 more batters after his leg was broken. Talk about tough!
GreenWeenie

Bob Gibson

Post by GreenWeenie »

4977727A6971717A5A7F687B1E0 wrote: Sorry to hear about his passing. We were just posting about him recently. He was a helluva pitcher.

Almost as good as Joe Musgrove!

That guy brought it.
ArnoldRothstein

Bob Gibson

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Very weird how allegiances stay with you. I started following the Pirates in 1966, when the league finished LA-SF-Pirates-Phils. The Pirates slumped to .500 in 1967, while the Cards took over the league, so they became my first "second team." Cepeda was #1 for me, but Gibson was #2 - the superstar pitcher the Pirates didn't have. I know the Cards take a lot of grief from Pirate fans, but they've remained my No. 2, and it's mostly because of Cepeda and Gibson and Brock and Flood and McCarver and Julian Javier (which is just a great name).
Bobster21

Bob Gibson

Post by Bobster21 »

4C7F636261695F6279657E796864630D0 wrote: Very weird how allegiances stay with you. I started following the Pirates in 1966, when the league finished LA-SF-Pirates-Phils.  The Pirates slumped to .500 in 1967, while the Cards took over the league, so they became my first "second team." Cepeda was #1 for me, but Gibson was #2 - the superstar pitcher the Pirates didn't have.  I know the Cards take a lot of grief from Pirate fans, but they've remained my No. 2, and it's mostly because of Cepeda and Gibson and Brock and Flood and McCarver and Julian Javier (which is just a great name).
I always kinda liked the Cardinals too. At least in the 1960s. Not so much anymore. I liked the guys you mentioned plus Ken Boyer. They had great pitching with Carlton and Briles besides Gibson. They even got Dick Groat. And Bob Skinner. It's ironic that Javier was blocked by Maz but ended up being a teammate of Groat anyway.
GreenWeenie

Bob Gibson

Post by GreenWeenie »

Dal Maxville, Red Schoendienst...They were exciting to watch. They're probably my third team, and the Pirates are doing everything they can to change places with them.
ArnoldRothstein

Bob Gibson

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

436E63727564733330010 wrote: liked the Cardinals too. At least in the 1960s. Not so much anymore. I liked the guys you mentioned plus Ken Boyer. They had great pitching with Carlton and Briles besides Gibson. They even got Dick Groat. And Bob Skinner. It's ironic that Javier was blocked by Maz but ended up being a teammate of Groat anyway. 

Until 2015, I never felt like the teams were blood rivals in a given season. They had a true dogfight in 1974, but it was pretty clear that the survivor would be annihilated by the Reds or Dodgers.