9/7 Game Thread - Taillon Day

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CutchisaBoss

Post by CutchisaBoss »

Well, at this point, I can't get excited much about anything except watching our young guys.

Watson has really screwed this thing up...if he just shuts the door in his last two blown saves during this skid we're still 69-67 and right in the mix.

Now, short of a 10 game win streak, we're pretty much looking to next year. Which is a shame, because the talent level of this team exceeds the record. I wonder if Clint is on the hot seat?
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

506667707B7A6072517C6060130 wrote: Well, at this point, I can't get excited much about anything except watching our young guys.

Watson has really screwed this thing up...if he just shuts the door in his last two blown saves during this skid we're still 69-67 and right in the mix.

Now, short of a 10 game win streak, we're pretty much looking to next year.  Which is a shame, because the talent level of this team exceeds the record.  I wonder if Clint is on the hot seat?

I see what you're saying but it seems weird to dump it onto Watson. I know he's the freshest failure in our minds but there are plenty of other prospective goats out there . . .
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

An issue that regularly bothers me it Polanco's sidearm throws.

He clearly qualifies for a major bonehead award after the Brewer's runner went from 2nd to 3rd because he saw that Polanco was lobbing the ball into second.

While that gaffe is a problem, his lackadaisical side-arm throws have opened too many doors for opposing runners to take an extra base or a non-contested base. Polanco has a decent arm if he throws over the top, but he is not like Clemente's mother who reportedly (mystically) could throw out someone trying to make it home from second on a single to right.

Polanco is a very talented player, but there are times when it appears that he chooses to mail it in rather than play like it was the first and last time that he will ever step on a big league field.

I will check out the game tonight because of Tallion, but otherwise, still reeling from the past week of play and last night's demoralizing loss.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I am really bummed out because I have absolutely ZERO enthusiasm for tonight's game.

First time this year, in game 137, that it doesn't matter.

For that matter, first time in 623 games spanning almost 4 years that the Pirates are playing a game that is basically meaningless. (I realize not mathematically, but in terms of reality).

I've got to readjust my mindset so I can follow these games for entirely different reasons now -- how does Taillon do, how does Josh Bell look, Trevor Williams, etc.

And by the way I am guaranteeing a Pirates win tonight. Not because Taillon is pitching, but because the game doesn't matter. NOW is the time the Pirates will rise up and beat the Cardinals -- when it no longer matters. Of course ...

Quail

Post by Quail »

Going forward I will do as Carolina said and 'readjust my mindset'. With good young talents like Taillon, Kuhl, Brault, Bell and Frazier playing for their MLB futures it should provide some real entertainment as well as some optimism for 2017. If nothing else those kids are worth watching.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

6C5E52524674575E5356595E3F0 wrote: Well, at this point, I can't get excited much about anything except watching our young guys.

Now, short of a 10 game win streak, we're pretty much looking to next year.  Which is a shame, because the talent level of this team exceeds the record.  I wonder if Clint is on the hot seat?

I see what you're saying but it seems weird to dump it onto Watson.  I know he's the freshest failure in our minds but there are plenty of other prospective goats out there . . .

How about Jaso in the first inning? That was the biggest play of the game.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

No Marte in line up again tonight, nor is Bell. Marte lost that ball in the sun on Monday, and the crowd was not very happy. I wonder if he is being benched for not making that play.
ScottinMass

Post by ScottinMass »

060A0B5059505855524D57600 wrote: No Marte in line up again tonight, nor is Bell.  Marte lost that ball in the sun on Monday, and the crowd was not very happy.  I wonder if he is being benched for not making that play.
Freese in at 1B. 4 for his last 25 with 12 K's.

I'm not ready to give up on him, but Bell seems like a better option against a RH pitcher.
massbucsfan

Post by massbucsfan »

16262A31312C2B08243636450 wrote: No Marte in line up again tonight, nor is Bell.  Marte lost that ball in the sun on Monday, and the crowd was not very happy.  I wonder if he is being benched for not making that play.
Freese in at 1B. 4 for his last 25 with 12 K's.

I'm not ready to give up on him, but Bell seems like a better option against a RH pitcher.
I just don't understand management decisions on this team sometimes NOW your gonna decide to bench guys who make errors or have lackadaisical play this should have been done long ago now who cares and why is bell on the bench AGAIN this guy regardless of the errors should be playing everyday wake up management
CutchisaBoss

Post by CutchisaBoss »

7B70787471706B2E285F667E777070317C701F0 wrote: Well, at this point, I can't get excited much about anything except watching our young guys.

I see what you're saying but it seems weird to dump it onto Watson.  I know he's the freshest failure in our minds but there are plenty of other prospective goats out there . . .

How about Jaso in the first inning?  That was the biggest play of the game. 

It was awful too...but it's Jaso, he's terrible and I expect terrible things from him. And despite he's stupid play, Watson was ahead 0-2 and let a fastball up over the middle of the plate.