Newman

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

bucs607179

Newman

Post by bucs607179 »

Bet that title brought Seinfeld to mind. ;D

Talking about Kevin. I know it's meaningless but at least it's a good record a Pirate holds. He finished batting .606. It is a MLB spring training record. I'm guessing he did not face top tier pitchers but it's still impressive. If he can cut that in half that would be a great season for him.

BEAT EM BUCS!!!!!!!!!
fjk090852-7

Newman

Post by fjk090852-7 »

What is most impressive is that I believe I heard he did not strikeout the entire ST. That is amazing! I sure hope he can continue putting the ball in play during the season. Another fact about Newman is that I think he must have at least 6 walk of hits during his time with the Pirates.
Bobster21

Newman

Post by Bobster21 »

It's encouraging that when he became a regular in 2019 he batted .308. So while the .606 BA in ST is bizarre in a nice way, he has already demonstrated that he can be a good, consistent hitter. I think we have to give little credence to 2020 stats as many players throughout MLB had uncharacteristically poor seasons. And that's understandable with the short ST, so much uncertainty about the season, about whether the next game would even be played, and all the health concerns about their families that had to have affected their focus on baseball. But Newman's strong spring this year suggests he can hit much more like the full season of 2019 rather than the short, crazy season of 2020.