Upcoming 10 game road trip...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

The Pirates I feel at least have to try and go 5-5 worst case 4-6 if they want to realistically hope to continue to hang around in the wildcard race. Tonight begins a stretch of 16 of the next 21 games on the road for the Pirates until July 1st. So going either 5-5 or 4-6 on this trip is almost a MUST and I don’t like the Pirates chances of doing that these first 3 games in Milwaukee when guys like Davis and Brault are pitching in 2 of these 3 games.

I think overall the leash for the Pirates being able to hang right around .500 the last month or so is going to start getting shorter and shorter these next 2-3 weeks. After tonight there will be exactly 100 games remaining and you can’t continue to tread water and play .500 baseball forever. Once we hit July realistically you can’t be right at .500 or slightly below like the Pirates are now and expect to compete. The Pirates have to start winning more consistently and have to start doing it soon before this season starts slipping away.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I'm optimistic. We're so much better on the road than at home, it's crazy.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

This road trip has been dreadful. The Pirates are now in last place, and this season cannot get much worse. For me it is very difficult to watch them play. I wonder how long it will be until the players cash it in.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

The dreams of staying in the hunt are over. The offense has surprised me. I say keep scoring tons, give up tons - tank and move up in the 2020 draft.

Here is the first by Callis.

https://www.mlb.com/news/early-2020-mock-mlb-draft

The good thing, we would be drafting 8th as of tonight instead of 10th.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

The Pirates are pretty much at a point now having lost 7 in a row and 18 of their last 24 where they almost have to go something like 7-1 in these next 8 games they have against the Marlins Tigers and Padres and at least attempt to try and get  back to . 500 which would put them at 37-39. This is really their last chance to do so before the schedule really gets brutal and this season will be completely lost. The Pirates pretty much have to win probably 7 of these next 8 games or this season if it already isn’t over now will officially be over.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1C3B2A2E2B36093D2A2B2B364F0 wrote: The Pirates are pretty much at a point now having lost 7 in a row and 18 of their last 24 where they almost have to go something like 7-1 in these next 8 games they have against the Marlins Tigers and Padres and at least attempt to try and get  back to . 500 which would put them at 37-39. This is really their last chance to do so before the schedule really gets brutal and this season will be completely lost. The Pirates pretty much have to win probably 7 of these next 8 games or this season if it already isn’t over now will officially be over.
I hear ya. But whose pitching staff are they going to borrow to win 7 of 8? ;)
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

How about the Indy roster? Oops! We've already tried that! ;D
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

31160703061B24100706061B620 wrote: The Pirates I feel at least have to try and go 5-5 worst case 4-6 if they want to realistically hope to continue to hang around in the wildcard race. Tonight begins a stretch of 16 of the next 21 games on the road for the Pirates until July 1st. So going either 5-5 or 4-6 on this trip is almost a MUST and I don’t like the Pirates chances of doing that these first 3 games in Milwaukee when guys like Davis and Brault are pitching in 2 of these 3 games.

I think overall the leash for the Pirates being able to hang right around .500 the last month or so is going to start getting shorter and shorter these next 2-3 weeks. After tonight there will be exactly 100 games remaining and you can’t continue to tread water and play .500 baseball forever. Once we hit July realistically you can’t be right at .500 or slightly below like the Pirates are now and expect to compete. The Pirates have to start winning more consistently and have to start doing it soon before this season starts slipping away. Well today’s game ends this current stretch of playing 16 out of 21 on the road the last 3 weeks since June 7th. The Pirates are currently 9-11 through 20 games during this stretch with a chance to finish 10-11 with a win this afternoon in Milwaukee. That is not bad considering the Pirates were 0-7 and 2-9 at the start of this stretch. The Pirates have actually not gotten completely buried yet and have a chance to win their 4th straight 3 game series in the last 2 weeks today. Starting tomorrow July 1st the Pirates will play 14 games out of 20 at home until July 25th and 20 of their next 32 at home until August 7th. So let’s finish this trip off with a win today get back to 2 games under .500 and pull within 3 games of a playoff spot heading into July 1st. This is an important game I feel the Pirates need to win today in Milwaukee hopefully they find a way to get it.
mouse

Post by mouse »

How has their home record compared to their road record? I have the vague sense they've been better on the road this year.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

2F2D373127420 wrote: How has their home record compared to their road record? I have the vague sense they've been better on the road this year.

home: 17-19

away: 22-23