6. Melky Cabrera (S) RF

7. Jason Martin (L) LF

8. Erik Gonzalez (R) SS

9. Jameson Taillon (R) P

[reason]Just being picky with Bobster's spelling [/reason]
DemDog

Pirats vs Nats/Scherzer 4/14

Post by DemDog »

Huh, not your average "Sunday" lineup. Heard on The Fan yesterday that Kang is getting 3 games off as CH has done in the past hoping that he can get things straightened out. And I do like Martin getting the start.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

How bout Jason Martin! He stings an RBI double with two outs in the 9th.

Buccos up 4-3.
rucker59@gmail.com

No easy games for these Pirates.

Vazquez v Rendon with base loaded. Pirates up 1.

AAANNNDDD Vazquez wins the battle!

GermanTownship

Post by GermanTownship »

We had them all the way!
rucker59@gmail.com

Is it just me or is Clint pulling all the right strings?

Impressive series for the Pirates.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

The offense has to give the bullpen a break one of these days. They have to get Cervelli out of the three hole, that’s a disaster. Christ, just put Cabrera there until Polanco is back. Diaz should be back soon and that will help.

This is quite a first impression from Martin, could be a huge asset as the 4th outfielder on this team, he could maybe take over for Dickerson, but too soon to tell now. Moran might not be an everyday player, but I think he is an extremely valuable piece coming off the bench for pinch hitting and spot starts.

If this is the real josh bell, I think they are going to be very good this year.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I like Martin, but I think once the 3 outfielders come of the IL he will be sent to AAA to play everyday. It is only a small sample, but he has done very well since his recall a little over a week ago.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I love that Hurdle put Vazquez in the 8th, let him pitch 2 innings and even bat in between. That's how baseball was played decades ago when managers considered Wins more important than Saves. In 1960 Roy Face had 19 plate appearances, including 2 sac bunts and was otherwise 7 for 17 (.412). Today's managers are so rigidly addicted to formulas that such stats are impossible. But kudos to Hurdle (not my favorite manager) for deviating from his usual formulas to try --successfully--to win!
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

476A67767160773734050 wrote: I love that Hurdle put Vazquez in the 8th, let him pitch 2 innings and even bat in between. That's how baseball was played decades ago when managers considered Wins more important than Saves. In 1960 Roy Face had 19 plate appearances, including 2 sac bunts and was otherwise 7 for 17 (.412). Today's managers are so rigidly addicted to formulas that such stats are impossible. But kudos to Hurdle (not my favorite manager) for deviating from his usual formulas to try --successfully--to win!
You are so right, Face, Guisti, and Teke all pitched multiple innings in relief. I think today’s managers fear they will blow out the relief pitchers arm if they have them pitch more than an inning.