Kang back?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dmetz

Kang back?

Post by dmetz »

30020E0E1A280B020F0A0502630 wrote: I see nothing that tells me he isn't working hard.  Would going down help him?  I don't know.

Would going down and Osuna coming up help the team?
dmetz

Kang back?

Post by dmetz »

Dog,

On second thought, I would prefer we trade JHay. Let Kang play 2b and extend him quickly for team friendly money (he can be a utility guy if he falls off as he ages). That would be my ideal.

JHay is injury prone and his free swinging ways make his offensive game very inconsistent. Also I don't think we would lose much defensively.

Moran can't possibly play any position other than 3b or 1b, and needs to keep getting AB for the chance that he starts pulling and elevating.

I'd move JHay to make room
Bobster21

Kang back?

Post by Bobster21 »

262F273638420 wrote: I see nothing that tells me he isn't working hard.  Would going down help him?  I don't know.

Would going down and Osuna coming up help the team?
I don't doubt Bell works hard. But that awful swing is totally unproductive (yet Hurdle insists on batting him 4th anyway...go figure). When something is that fundamentally wrong, it will take a lot of time and coaching to correct it. That should be done at the AAA level. In the meantime Osuna would likely provide better offense and defense at 1B.
Bobster21

Kang back?

Post by Bobster21 »

Kang is now 7 for 17 (.412) with 3 HRs. I think this shows his dismal performance in winter ball was more related to the problems of adjusting to a new culture and not an indication that he was totally out of baseball shape as many assumed. He said as much in an interview.

"The biggest challenge for me during the winter leagues was the difference in environment between Dominican baseball and American baseball,” Kang said. “That ranges from food, living style, baseball style and so it just took me a little longer than expected for me to make those adjustments.”

http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/1373 ... ig-leagues
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Kang back?

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I am a big Kang fan too. The Pirates just traded for a top prospect to play 3B. Moran is a rookie and is doing fine. Why wouldn't the front office or myself think he won't improve? Yes, I think Kang is better than Moran, but have to understand the rebuilding process too.

I can see an extension being offered to Kang. If anyone owes a team a discount it is Kang to the Pirates. Plus, I am not sure how many teams will pay Kang big bucks missing all that time and turning 32 next year.

It will be an interesting situation when he comes back. I just don't see the Pirates giving up on Moran to make room for Kang.

dmetz

Kang back?

Post by dmetz »

I'm almost certain they won't give up on Moran either. However, they've already been hiding him from lefties, last night being his first start against one. So there are sure starts for Kang. Additionally, SRod can be dfa'ed and Kang can backup Jordy and Jhay, initially. (Which I'm going to grumble about the clearly superior player "backing up" but seems likely to be the case initially.)

So really Freese could be let go too, in addition to SRod.
notes34

Kang back?

Post by notes34 »

343D35242A500 wrote: I'm almost certain they won't give up on Moran either.  However, they've already been hiding him from lefties, last night being his first start against one.  So there are sure starts for Kang.   Additionally, SRod can be dfa'ed and Kang can backup Jordy and Jhay, initially. (Which I'm going to grumble about the clearly superior player "backing up" but seems likely to be the case initially.)

So really Freese could be let go too, in addition to SRod. 
I completely agree. I like Freese in the role he is in currently, but Kang would provide much more. I think Moran is at best a barely below average starting 3b. Why would the Pirates play him over a superior player in Kang? Make no mistake Kang will be better than Moran upon his return. If Harrison could be moved, then I put Kang at 2nd and don't look back. He will be fine defensively either place.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Kang back?

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

There will be moves to make when Kang is called up. The Pirates won't be able to justify Rodriguez much longer if he doesn't start hitting. His defense is great, might be a great leader, but other players are playing better. Freese could be the odd man out as Rodriguez can play 1B and Kang is best at 3B. Frazier lost his back up outfield spot with Meadows up and also wouldn't be needed with Kang and Rodriguez.

The problem won't be how to get Kang on the team. The problem will be where does he play and how much will he play. Trading Mercer or Harrison would be ideal, but they won't just give those players away. We are also not guaranteed to have Kang after this season. Pretty much making a roster move for half a season. Hopefully, if he is playing well, they sign him to a two year deal.
ScottinMass

Kang back?

Post by ScottinMass »

While I am rooting for Kang to come back to anywhere near where he was as much as anyone, don't you guys think you're jumping the gun with him a bit?

Team friendly extensions, trading JHay, sitting Moran more, etc.

He's had 17 AB's as a 31 year old in a league where the average age is about 22 with 2-3 years of pro ball experience.

He;s under control for this year and next, so let's see what AAA holds for him before we go too crazy.

Again, I too want him to succeed and help the big league club.
dmetz

Kang back?

Post by dmetz »

Yeah, we are guaranteed. It's a team option next year for nothing