MLB Draft

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GermanTownship

MLB Draft

Post by GermanTownship »

Like the pick of Davis. Let’s see who we pick in the top five. Need more than Davis to succeed to be successful. Personally,I would pick the college player over the high school player. I believe in what Cherrington is doing. Read an article about why Rocker went to the Mutts at #10. Boras is his agent.
CarolinaBucco

MLB Draft

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Two draft thoughts, neither which relate to the No. 1 selection of Davis, which I'm fine with.

1. I think Kumar Rocker will be the best player to come out of the top 10 picks. If the Pirates had been contenders, or on the brink of contention, he would have been my choice with the first pick.

2. I will never understand why Pirates GMs over the years haven't made a point of drafting players with the home ballpark in mind. Why don't we ever draft left-handed power bats, and why don't we ever draft left-handed pitchers who in theory could neutralize opposing left-handed power bats? I've never understood that. Seems like that thought process is completely ignored.

JollyRoger

MLB Draft

Post by JollyRoger »

I was not happy with the Davis pick but I can understand it from a positional need standpoint. I would have preferred Mayer with the #1 and then get the University of Miami catcher at 37.

I liked that Mayer was LH and had comparisons to Cory Seager.

Ben can make this a good draft if he now does the obvious.

The #17 prospect is still available and he is a LH starting pitcher with comparisons to Madison Baumgarner. Anthony Solometo.

We definitely need LH starters. Go get him!
GreenWeenie

MLB Draft

Post by GreenWeenie »

I wonder how much the willingness to sign below slot was a factor. Did we get the best, or did we get the best compliant?

Doesn't matter to me, as long as we win.

rucker59@gmail.com

MLB Draft

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

614447475279444C4E592B0 wrote: I was not happy with the Davis pick but I can understand it from a positional need standpoint. I would have preferred Mayer with the #1 and then get the University of Miami catcher at 37.

The #17 prospect is still available and he is a LH starting pitcher with comparisons to Madison Baumgarner. Anthony Solometo.

I was going to check the highest rated prospect available today.  So I appreciate your post.  Solometo is really intriguing - except for his delivery.  Do they have to redo his mechanics?  Is he a high injury risk with current delivery?   I’m surprised he’s still around - I’d love for the Pirates to select, unless he’s too high risk. 
rucker59@gmail.com

MLB Draft

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

1537203F333C063D253C213A3B22520 wrote: Like the pick of Davis. Let’s see who we pick in the top five. Need more than Davis to succeed to be successful. Personally,I would pick the college player over the high school player. I believe in what Cherrington is doing. Read an article about why Rocker went to the Mutts at #10. Boras is his agent.

I was thinking about Boras; had not heard his name in front of the draft like he normally is. I’m not convinced on Rocker - pull pen in the future?
GreenWeenie

MLB Draft

Post by GreenWeenie »

The Mets know pitching better than we do. They took Rocker, so, I'll give benefit of doubt.
Bobster21

MLB Draft

Post by Bobster21 »

794C5B5B50695B5B50575B3E0 wrote: The Mets know pitching better than we do.  They took Rocker, so, I'll give benefit of doubt.
The Mets also have the payroll and big market notoriety to have a very good chance of getting Rocker to stay and have a long career with them. But now they'll have to go through a few years of growing pains with him as he matures as a pitcher instead of having the Pirates draft him and take care of that before they signed him as a free agent.
BenM

MLB Draft

Post by BenM »

5E7B78786D467B737166140 wrote: I was not happy with the Davis pick but I can understand it from a positional need standpoint. I would have preferred Mayer with the #1 and then get the University of Miami catcher at 37.

Nailed it!
JollyRoger

MLB Draft

Post by JollyRoger »

Way to go Ben!!

Feeling much better

Nice to finally draft a LH pitcher

We drafted a ton of RH last year