Greetings

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Greetings

Post by GreenWeenie »

200D00111607105053620 wrote: Although I did not know her very well through the board, she was, as you say, an excellent poster with alot of insight. She and her husband attended many games as season ticket holders.

She confined most of her comments to folks like Doc, and Wildwood, who were true gentlemen.

sunny was pretty much gone by the time I joined, and the other guy I do not recall ever hearing much about.
I met Cullie and her husband at PNC Park once.

I didn't know there were two Wildwood Daves.  I must know the other one.  ;)))))
shedman

Greetings

Post by shedman »

5E75626D140 wrote: I have to say that you guys from the other board, could someone tell the name of it again please, have made OBN a bit of fun in this time of no baseball. 

In the past, we have had guys who get on other posters with slaps and slanders that were mostly done maliciously.  But you guys seem to get along and I think in most cases just agree to disagree on things Pirates. 

I sure hope that sometime soon we will be able to get back to some serious discussion about the state of the Pirates and discuss some games.

In the meantime let's all keep it light and hardy and help each other through these trying times.

The PMB was quite a place. Make no mistake, most of the time, it was an ongoing war between two factions. There were those who thought the Management Team was the greatest thing since the sun was invented, and those of us who thought they were the worst thing that ever happened to Pittsburgh. It was rare that here was a middle ground. Most members were strongly encamped one way or the other. There were few exceptions.

There were, however, a lot of good things about the old board. We had frequent contests, including multiple fantasy sports leagues, where the winners were awarded 'Stargell Stars', or later after a dispute, a 'Clemente Crown'. Running tallies were kept on who had won what, and how many stars or crowns each member had earned.

We even had an annual get-together at the first home game after the trade deadline called the "Anti-Christmas" game, usually after the Bucs dumped their better players for someone else's steaming pile of has-been or never were players.

some of the guys even had an annual golf tournament where they would play for the "Parrot Cup (or jug).

All-in-all, it was a good place, but one day MLB just shut down all of the message boards, and just like that, everything went black.

then, many of us wound up at the UPPMB - totally disastrous place to be - we were never accepted, some of our old antagonists were already there, and things just went south. One day, they just pulled the plug and the message board went away. Their original members at times wouldn't even engae us when we tried to talk baseball, they just seemed to want no parts of anything we could offer.

So, we wound up here, and it has been a great experience.

So, thanks for taking us orphans in!  'More please, Sir!!"
--------

btw Javy, I am sitting in my family room looking at that Parrot Cup right now. We haven't held that golf outing the last 2 years so Doc can't win it back.
Javy

Greetings

Post by Javy »

Take good care of it...you never know, there could be another tournament some day and Doc will be there to take it back!
Surgnbuck

Greetings

Post by Surgnbuck »

465D505158545B350 wrote: I have to say that you guys from the other board, could someone tell the name of it again please, have made OBN a bit of fun in this time of no baseball. 

In the past, we have had guys who get on other posters with slaps and slanders that were mostly done maliciously.  But you guys seem to get along and I think in most cases just agree to disagree on things Pirates. 

I sure hope that sometime soon we will be able to get back to some serious discussion about the state of the Pirates and discuss some games.

In the meantime let's all keep it light and hardy and help each other through these trying times.

The PMB was quite a place. Make no mistake, most of the time, it was an ongoing war between two factions. There were those who thought the Management Team was the greatest thing since the sun was invented, and those of us who thought they were the worst thing that ever happened to Pittsburgh. It was rare that here was a middle ground. Most members were strongly encamped one way or the other. There were few exceptions.

There were, however, a lot of good things about the old board. We had frequent contests, including multiple fantasy sports leagues, where the winners were awarded 'Stargell Stars', or later after a dispute, a 'Clemente Crown'. Running tallies were kept on who had won what, and how many stars or crowns each member had earned.

We even had an annual get-together at the first home game after the trade deadline called the "Anti-Christmas" game, usually after the Bucs dumped their better players for someone else's steaming pile of has-been or never were players.

some of the guys even had an annual golf tournament where they would play for the "Parrot Cup (or jug).

All-in-all, it was a good place, but one day MLB just shut down all of the message boards, and just like that, everything went black.

then, many of us wound up at the UPPMB - totally disastrous place to be - we were never accepted, some of our old antagonists were already there, and things just went south. One day, they just pulled the plug and the message board went away. Their original members at times wouldn't even engae us when we tried to talk baseball, they just seemed to want no parts of anything we could offer.

--------

btw Javy, I am sitting in my family room looking at that Parrot Cup right now.  We haven't held that golf outing the last 2 years so Doc can't win it back.

Oh, we're going to get it going again. We haven't had it the last two years because of health reasons for some of the more esteemed, and awesomely skilled golfers.

Keep it polished. :)
shedman

Greetings

Post by shedman »

715750454C40574149220 wrote: I have to say that you guys from the other board, could someone tell the name of it again please, have made OBN a bit of fun in this time of no baseball. 

--------

btw Javy, I am sitting in my family room looking at that Parrot Cup right now.  We haven't held that golf outing the last 2 years so Doc can't win it back.

Oh, we're going to get it going again. We haven't had it the last two years because of health reasons for some of the more esteemed, and awesomely skilled golfers.

Keep it polished.  :)
_______

It will certainly be open to all OBN members.
WildwoodDave

Greetings

Post by WildwoodDave »

734651515A6351515A5D51340 wrote: Although I did not know her very well through the board, she was, as you say, an excellent poster with alot of insight. She and her husband attended many games as season ticket holders.

She confined most of her comments to folks like Doc, and Wildwood, who were true gentlemen.

sunny was pretty much gone by the time I joined, and the other guy I do not recall ever hearing much about.
I met Cullie and her husband at PNC Park once.

I didn't know there were two Wildwood Daves.  I must know the other one.  ;)))))

you are just jealous because she wouldn't defer to you. Now Bucs 60/71/79 on the other hand .....
WildwoodDave

Greetings

Post by WildwoodDave »

0F3A2D2D261F2D2D26212D480 wrote: Kovie (Shed) is right.  You folks have been most welcome and fun to "converse" with. 

I won't get into comparisons/contrasts.  Not worth it. Just glad to be welcomed.

I'm not the only one among us who used to say that Kovie rules the off-season.  Those six months with little to talk about while our GM goes on his annual siesta are a lot easier to take with Kovie/Shed's humor.

Be forwarned, though!  When the season starts, they begin to play BASEBALL.  No kidding.  Things get quite serious then, and the discussions about the Pirates quality of play as the result of the Pirates talent level.....they will surely take a tone of its own.  All bets are off.  After all, BOB's still BOB.
I'ii bet you are glad to be welcomed. First time for everything ;D
shedman

Greetings

Post by shedman »

Greenweenie and Doc on the board at the exact same moment??? Why can't you guys at least spit at each other?
shedman

Greetings

Post by shedman »

132D2820332B2B2000253221440 wrote: Kovie (Shed) is right.  You folks have been most welcome and fun to "converse" with. 

I won't get into comparisons/contrasts.  Not worth it. Just glad to be welcomed.

I'm not the only one among us who used to say that Kovie rules the off-season.  Those six months with little to talk about while our GM goes on his annual siesta are a lot easier to take with Kovie/Shed's humor.

Be forwarned, though!  When the season starts, they begin to play BASEBALL.  No kidding.  Things get quite serious then, and the discussions about the Pirates quality of play as the result of the Pirates talent level.....they will surely take a tone of its own.  All bets are off.  After all, BOB's still BOB.
I'ii bet you are glad to be welcomed. First time for everything  ;D
______

I tried the Off Season thread here at the OBN, but it just didn't catch on at all.
DemDog

Greetings

Post by DemDog »

372C212029252A440 wrote: Greenweenie and Doc on the board at the exact same moment??? Why can't you guys at least spit at each other?

NO SPITTING ON OBN DUE TO COVID-19.  IN FACT GW AND DOC NEED TO PRACTICE SOCIAL DISTANCING OF NOT 6 FT BUT 60'6".  ANY VIOLATION OF THOSE RULES WILL RESULT IN A 14 DAY QUARANTINE OF SOME SORT!

Now that I have said that I did it to inject some humor into the COVID-19 Pandamic that is screwing up Pirates baseball right now.  Please all OBN members, wear masks(not catchers or HPU masks), practice social distancing as suggested by the CDC.  The last thing I want is for any OBN member to get sick!