The Great DH Compromise

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Lecom

The Great DH Compromise

Post by Lecom »

032E23323524337370410 wrote: What I don't understand about the push for the DH is "why?" When it was instituted in the AL the rationale was that it provided more offense and therefore made the game more enjoyable for the fans. Of course, the more fans like the game, the more revenue is generated.

But since the DH was adopted by the NL there has never been any pattern of AL attendance being greater than NL attendance. So where is the evidence that AL fans enjoy baseball more than NL fans?

At a time when an NL DH is being considered, here are the most recent 2019 MLB attendance standings:

1. Dodgers

2. Cardinals

3. Yankees   DH

4. Cubs

5. Angels    DH

6. Rockies

7. Red Sox  DH 

8. Brewers

9. Astros    DH

10. Phillies

11. Giants

12. Braves

13. Mets

14. Padres

15. Twins  DH

16. Nationals

17. Diamondbacks

18. Rangers  DH

19. Reds

20. Mariners  DH

21. Blue Jays   DH

22. Indians   DH

23. Athletics   DH

24. White Sox  DH

25. Tigers   DH

26. Pirates

27. Royals  DH

28. Orioles   DH

29. Rays   DH

30. Marlins

So fans getting more enjoyment out of DH baseball accounted for only 1 of the top 4 attendance totals and only 6 of the top 19. Those fans getting more enjoyment out of DH baseball comprised 9 of the 11 teams with the fewest fans attending games. So the theory that the DH is needed to ramp up fan enthusiasm for the game is completely contrary to the evidence. In fact, the evidence at the very time MLB wants to force the DH on the NL suggests it will diminish fan interest and lower attendance more in line with what we see from AL attendance in comparison to NL attendance which seems to indicate more interest without the DH.

This one should be post of the year!
fjk090852-7

The Great DH Compromise

Post by fjk090852-7 »

It sounds like if the Agreement between the Owners and Players is finalized it will include a DH for the National League. I am going to assume that Josh Bell will be the Bucs DH and Osuna and Moran will platoon at first base. I will guess that Hayes will begin the season on the taxi squad, and may join the active roster in late August or September.
NJBucsFan

The Great DH Compromise

Post by NJBucsFan »

I know this is ridiculous, and I know it was inevitable, but I feel a sense of mourning. When everything else in the world is so chaotic, they do this now? THE ONE THING I COULD COUNT ON!!! :)
DemDog

The Great DH Compromise

Post by DemDog »

202C2D767F767E73746B71460 wrote: It sounds like if the Agreement between the Owners and Players is finalized it will include a DH for the National League. I am going to assume that Josh Bell will be the Bucs DH and Osuna and Moran will platoon at first base. I will guess that Hayes will begin the season on the taxi squad, and may join the active roster in late August or September.

We know that Osuna can field at 1B and might be more suited to platoon there and then be a great RH hitter off the bench. As for Moran, I wonder if his fielding is all that much better than Bell's. I actually like Moran as the DH and let Hayes play 3B and take his nocks if he does not hit that much. His defense at 3B is too good to sit on the bench.
2drfischer@gmail.c

The Great DH Compromise

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

76727A4D5B4B7E5956380 wrote: I know this is ridiculous, and I know it was inevitable, but I feel a sense of mourning. When everything else in the world is so chaotic, they do this now? THE ONE THING I COULD COUNT ON!!!  :)

Yeah, it was coming but it sure will stink for us fans of true baseball. Watching a DH come to the plate at PNC Park will make me cringe.
fjk090852-7

The Great DH Compromise

Post by fjk090852-7 »

6B4A426B40482F0 wrote: It sounds like if the Agreement between the Owners and Players is finalized it will include a DH for the National League. I am going to assume that Josh Bell will be the Bucs DH and Osuna and Moran will platoon at first base. I will guess that Hayes will begin the season on the taxi squad, and may join the active roster in late August or September.

We know that Osuna can field at 1B and might be more suited to platoon there and then be a great RH hitter off the bench.  As for Moran, I wonder if his fielding is all that much better than Bell's.  I actually like Moran as the DH and let Hayes play 3B and take his nocks if he does not hit that much.  His defense at 3B is too good to sit on the bench.

I like your idea with making Hayes the third baseman at the start of the season, but I am going to assume he will accrue a full year of service time by only playing 60 or 70 games. Possibly the Bucs will change some of their previous thinking under the new FO group.
Lecom

The Great DH Compromise

Post by Lecom »

7224322629332328253200272D21292C6E23400 wrote: I know this is ridiculous, and I know it was inevitable, but I feel a sense of mourning. When everything else in the world is so chaotic, they do this now? THE ONE THING I COULD COUNT ON!!!  :)

Yeah, it was coming but it sure will stink for us fans of true baseball.  Watching a DH come to the plate at PNC Park will make me cringe.

And just like that, I went from a die-hard fan to a casual fan.
2drfischer@gmail.c

The Great DH Compromise

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

5B7274787A170 wrote: I know this is ridiculous, and I know it was inevitable, but I feel a sense of mourning. When everything else in the world is so chaotic, they do this now? THE ONE THING I COULD COUNT ON!!!  :)

Yeah, it was coming but it sure will stink for us fans of true baseball.  Watching a DH come to the plate at PNC Park will make me cringe.

And just like that, I went from a die-hard fan to a casual fan.

Same here. My interest will wane a bit more just as it did when the DH, Interleague play, and the replay system were all implemented. Oh well.
ArnoldRothstein

The Great DH Compromise

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

So it seems they're talking about putting a runner on second to start each extra inning:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/06/ ... anges.html

They can do what they want, but I'd rather see them break ties via home run derby or a race around the bases.
Ecbucs

The Great DH Compromise

Post by Ecbucs »

43706C6D6E66506D766A7176676B6C020 wrote: So it seems they're talking about putting a runner on second to start each extra inning:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/06/ ... anges.html

They can do what they want, but I'd rather see them break ties via home run derby or a race around the bases.

home run derby is interesting idea. I would rather have a gladiator type competition between mascots.