Reds @ Pirates Sunday Afternoon Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I have heard Archer will appeal the five game suspension, but will drop it after his next start being I believe Saturday. With two open dates next week the starters are going to have additional days off between starts , so his next start maybe the following Saturday which I think is April 20th.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I'm not sure why Archer got a suspension. No one could be really upset with his pitch behind that batter. It was a soft toss and quite a ways behind him - more a token than anything else. He was given a warning on the throw. Bell is the one who escalated matters. I was guessing he was trying to fire up his team after such a dismal start. His antics were then followed by Puig going off, again for no real reason. Those are two I would have tossed. If I am missing something and the suspension was for some other reason, of course, then maybe the time is justified.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

24263C3A2C490 wrote: I'm not sure why Archer got a suspension. No one could be really upset with his pitch behind that batter. It was a soft toss and quite a ways behind him - more a token than anything else. He was given a warning on the throw. Bell is the one who escalated matters. I was guessing he was trying to fire up his team after such a dismal start. His antics were then followed by Puig going off, again for no real reason. Those are two I would have tossed. If I am missing something and the suspension was for some other reason, of course, then maybe the time is justified.

the question I have about Archer is whether baseball is setting a precedent that throwing behind a batter will result in a five game suspension. If so then baseball needs to be consistent about it.

IMO, Archer was sending a message and doing it in a safeway. He could have hit him, he could have thrown one high and tight. Both more dangerous to batter than throwing behind him.

Are pitchers going to get the message that they might as well hit the batter?
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I concur completely with EC Bucs and Mouse.

Archer sent a message but he did it in a way that caused no harm to the Dietrich. He also did it in the first at-bat for Dietrich after his home rune gaze. Archer didn't try to hit any subsequent batter who was not Dietrich and he did not throw a pitch that could have injured Dietrich. I viewed the whole 'incident' as being pretty harmless until Bell and then Puig went off.

I also don't understand some national writers who are portraying Archer's actions as being a real threat toward Dietrich. Unlike many pitchers, Archer didn't drill him in the ribs (like happened to McCutchen) or send one in high and tight, he threw it 1+ foot behind him. I also note that Dietrich barely flinched and didn't seem to be too animated in any way shape or form.

While a 5 game suspension for a starting pitcher is almost a harmless suspension this time of year, but, it this type of action warrants 5 games, what does drilling a player in the ribs warrant?

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I doubt Archer would have been suspended if their hadn't been the melee caused by David Bell. It was a pitch with a purpose but not close enough to hit Dietrich, who seemed to understand and took it in stride. If Dietrich had gone to 1B without benches emptying, I doubt there would be any league discipline. But because Bell forced a confrontation and Puig went crazy, the league had to take action. Players were ejected and a suspension for Puig seemed certain. And I guess the league felt like since they had to do that, they should also suspend Archer for throwing behind the batter on purpose. But without the actions of Bell and Puig, I doubt Archer gets disciplined.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

68697263753532060 wrote: Haven't seen enough of Archer to know but he seems to have no idea where the pitch is going.  So far he's a big disappointment gave up a lot to get him so far nothing to show for it. 
I would calm down a little. Archer has very good swing and miss stuff. He does need to be more efficient but he gives you a chance almost every time out.
I'll calm down when he starts acting like a pitcher.  He's walked 5 in 11 innings, that's a recipe for disaster.  It wouldn't be so bad, but he did the same thing the few games he had with us last year.  A pitcher who can't throw strikes isn't a pitcher.  Teams will realize all they have to do is take pitches and he'll implode, ever heard of a guy named Liriano. 
You're being ridiculous. He also has only given up 7 hits, has 15 k's and a WHIP of 1.09. Yeah I wish all of our guys would start acting like "real" pitchers. :D
That's pretty bold talk about a pitcher that so far hasn't done much in a Pirate uniform. I'm definitely not sold, I'll be glad to admit I'm wrong about him but he's going to quit giving up 3 runs for 5 innings of work. It wouldn't so bad if we could score big numbers but 3 runs will get us beat almost every game.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

3C242621213627203D3C2A4F0 wrote: Haven't seen enough of Archer to know but he seems to have no idea where the pitch is going.  So far he's a big disappointment gave up a lot to get him so far nothing to show for it. 
I would calm down a little. Archer has very good swing and miss stuff. He does need to be more efficient but he gives you a chance almost every time out.
I'll calm down when he starts acting like a pitcher.  He's walked 5 in 11 innings, that's a recipe for disaster.  It wouldn't be so bad, but he did the same thing the few games he had with us last year.  A pitcher who can't throw strikes isn't a pitcher.  Teams will realize all they have to do is take pitches and he'll implode, ever heard of a guy named Liriano. 
You're being ridiculous. He also has only given up 7 hits, has 15 k's and a WHIP of 1.09. Yeah I wish all of our guys would start acting like "real" pitchers. :D
That's pretty bold talk about a pitcher that so far hasn't done much in a Pirate uniform.  I'm definitely not sold, I'll be glad to admit I'm wrong about him but he's going to quit giving up 3 runs for 5 innings of work.  It wouldn't so bad if we could score big numbers but 3 runs will get us beat almost every game.
3 runs in 5 innings would be an era of 5.40. He had 10 starts for the Bucs last year. In his first 5 starts he was worse than that with a 6.45 ERA. But in his next 5 starts he had a fine ERA of 2.70. In 2 starts this year he has an ERA of 2.45. Beginning with September last year, he doesn't seem to be someone we need to worry about.
Tintin

Post by Tintin »

4F636B6C6740776171020 wrote: I concur completely with EC Bucs and Mouse.

Archer sent a message but he did it in a way that caused no harm to the Dietrich.   He also did it in the first at-bat for Dietrich after his home rune gaze.   Archer didn't try to hit any subsequent batter who was not Dietrich and he did not throw a pitch that could have injured Dietrich.  I viewed the whole 'incident' as being pretty harmless until Bell and then Puig went off. 

I also don't understand some national writers who are portraying Archer's actions as being a real threat toward Dietrich.  Unlike many pitchers, Archer didn't drill him in the ribs (like happened to McCutchen) or send one in high and tight, he threw it 1+ foot behind him.   I also note that Dietrich barely flinched and didn't seem to be too animated in any way shape or form.

While a 5 game suspension for a starting pitcher is almost a harmless suspension this time of year, but, it this type of action warrants 5 games, what does drilling a player in the ribs warrant?   

I agree with this. Cutch got hurt because the guy threw the first pitch behind him, threw a strike with the next pitch Causing Cutch to relax, and then three the third pitch at his back.

Archer, in the way the rule book is unwritten, threw the second pitch over the plate, which signifies that this beef was over.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

This whole thing is avoided if Bell doesn't rush onto the field. He should've gotten the biggest suspension IMO. He really caused the situation to escalate.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

4F626F7E79687F3F3C0D0 wrote: Haven't seen enough of Archer to know but he seems to have no idea where the pitch is going.  So far he's a big disappointment gave up a lot to get him so far nothing to show for it. 
That's pretty bold talk about a pitcher that so far hasn't done much in a Pirate uniform.  I'm definitely not sold, I'll be glad to admit I'm wrong about him but he's going to quit giving up 3 runs for 5 innings of work.  It wouldn't so bad if we could score big numbers but 3 runs will get us beat almost every game.
3 runs in 5 innings would be an era of 5.40. He had 10 starts for the Bucs last year. In his first 5 starts he was worse than that with a 6.45 ERA. But in his next 5 starts he had a fine ERA of 2.70. In 2 starts this year he has an ERA of 2.45. Beginning with September last year, he doesn't seem to be someone we need to worry about.

Just trying to understand the infatuation of some on here with Archer and reviewing pitching stats and it seems that E. Nova had a better ERA than Archer 4.16 vs. 4.31 with about the same innings pitched last year.  I hope Archer is successful for the Pirates but if he continues with what it looks like he's been over the last few seasons, it ain't going to happen.  I don't share the optimism for him.  It appears to me we traded one problem pitcher (Nova) and acquired another problem pitcher.