Kang and Gonzalez

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Kang and Gonzalez

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Adam Berry wrote that Hurdle told the media after today’s game that Kang will start at shortstop on Friday just to give him work if they need him in an emergency situation. This does not sound good for Newman making the team out of ST.
SteadyFreddy

Kang and Gonzalez

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Was at the game today with my daughter had a great time. Been a few years since I was at an actual game in Bradenton and boy did I pick a good one to go too.
SammyKhalifa

Kang and Gonzalez

Post by SammyKhalifa »

5F5352090009010C0B140E390 wrote: Adam Berry wrote that Hurdle told the media after today’s game that Kang will start at shortstop on Friday just to give him work if they need him in an emergency situation. This does not sound good for Newman making the team out of ST.

I guess I'd take a 3B-playing Adam Dunn
SteadyFreddy

Kang and Gonzalez

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I don’t think they are completely sold on Gonzalez being the everyday shortstop yet. So if he struggles the Pirates pretty much need to move Kang to short and play Moran at 3rd. Right now it’s ptobsbky their next option anyway if you want to get consistent offense.
OrlandoMerced

Kang and Gonzalez

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Position flexibility is meant to give Hurdle options when putting the lineup together.

I think for the payroll they have, the number of roles that are locked down comfortably is impressive. Clearly the complaint from the fans is that they should spend some money to achieve certainty in those other spots.

I am going to be looking at one dynamic as a data point for judging NH's decisions this offseason. Are their top prospects in Indy moved into starting roles by excelling in AAA, or are they forced into those roles by players failing at the major league level. You want the prospects to force the team to give them at bats.
dmetz

Kang and Gonzalez

Post by dmetz »

1A3D2C282D300F3B2C2D2D30490 wrote: I don’t think they are completely sold on Gonzalez being the everyday shortstop yet. So if he struggles the Pirates pretty much need to move Kang to short and play Moran at 3rd. Right now it’s ptobsbky their next option anyway if you want to get consistent offense.

I'm sold on Gonzalez vs Newman.

Newman's biggest problem is that he's not a good shortstop.   He doesn't field the position well.   

Even if Newman can eventually realize a low .700 OPS punch-and-judy type of offensive production, why would any team put up with trying to get to that offensive development ceiling, while giving up runs in the field?

He's just not a very good prospect unfortunately, which is just how it goes in Pirateland.   BA had him as #55 prospect in 2014. Now there are new, lower minors prospect names to get excited about as we reduce prior expectations on old prospects trying to break in or approaching the ML level. 

There's a lot about Gonzalez's game on paper that I like.   He's going to be an improvement over 2018 Jordy, that's for sure.   I'm very curious about his defense though.    Been down this road before
Leyland1948

Kang and Gonzalez

Post by Leyland1948 »

Whats the earliest we might see Cole Tucker?
IABucFan

Kang and Gonzalez

Post by IABucFan »

7A534F5A575852070F020E360 wrote: Whats the earliest we might see Cole Tucker?

June 2020...unless MLB and the union mutually agree to do away with Super 2’s before then. Then mid April 2020.
skinnyhorse

Kang and Gonzalez

Post by skinnyhorse »

4C4447706643646B050 wrote: Whats the earliest we might see Cole Tucker?

June 2020...unless MLB and the union mutually agree to do away with Super 2’s before then. Then mid April 2020.
That's the ticket let's not bring up players who can help us now, let's wait for what might (that's the operative word) save them some money 7 or 8 years from know. How much money could they make if they put a winning team on the field now. That might take some imagination, and heaven know NH has none of that. How else could anyone explain giving Hurdle a 4 year extension after leading the team to 3 under-performing long years. What's wrong Pittsburgh.