Sources: Ben Cherington has accepted Pirates’ GM job

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

For all the criticism of BC for doing little or nothing, we all seem to agree he had little to trade and no money to spend. So I don't know what his options were. We'll see if things change in 2021.

All Shelton had to do was make the best use of the players he was given. I think he failed to do that. I hope we see improved decision-making from him in 2021.
Javy

Post by Javy »

032E23323524337370410 wrote: For all the criticism of BC for doing little or nothing, we all seem to agree he had little to trade and no money to spend. So I don't know what his options were. We'll see if things change in 2021.

All Shelton had to do was make the best use of the players he was given. I think he failed to do that. I hope we see improved decision-making from him in 2021.

Well, from my perspective, BC had little to no time, or talent to work with after he was hired. Other teams were already signing FA talent and making trades when he came on board. Nutting screwed the pooch handling the terminations the way, and when he did. I was thrilled to see the previous regime go, and thought it was about 7 years overdue, but the timing and progression were ridiculous. BC's first order of business was to re-start the managerial search.

Despite others criticism of him, I'm patient enough to see where he goes with the organization over the next 2 years.

The reports of him restructuring the front office means, to me at least, that he inherited some people that he wouldn't be able to replace quickly enough after he was initially hired. Anyone that thinks this organization can be rebuilt overnight needs to put down the pipe. It can/will only be done with development and trades.

With so little to trade, how can you expect much of a return? Guys like Bell and Newman need to bounce back big, so they can restore some value. if you trade them now, the return will be putrid and some will be screaming 'dump' if/when they bounce back elsewhere. Trade someone like Moran or Rodriquez for a prospect, and you'll hear the same thing.

That leaves us at development. We'll start seeing those results next season when the minor leagues resume and then we can judge how well he selected young talent. Can't tell anything from this year, that's for sure

Free Agency, other than guys added on a 1 or 2 year deal to tide over until what few guys they have in the minors come up is the best you can hope for. Just forget the bigger names, 'cause they won't pursue them.

As far as Shelton goes, I thought they made a good hire based on everything I had read about him. I'm not local to the area, so I do not get to see or hear first hand what is going on with the club, so I rely on my fellow posters for their input to develop my opinion..which means I am as disappointed as any of you in what I read. If the crap continues into next year, maybe the make a change mid-season, or afterwards. But as sure as I know my own name, that won't happen before then.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

1D303D2C2B3A2D6D6E5F0 wrote: For all the criticism of BC for doing little or nothing, we all seem to agree he had little to trade and no money to spend. So I don't know what his options were. We'll see if things change in 2021.

Who said there's no money?

BOB has the money. Just won't part with it.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

093C2B2B20192B2B20272B4E0 wrote: For all the criticism of BC for doing little or nothing, we all seem to agree he had little to trade and no money to spend. So I don't know what his options were. We'll see if things change in 2021.

Who said there's no money?

BOB has the money.  Just won't part with it.

I doubt Cherington would appreciate the difference. All he knows is that he has no money to spend.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

664B46575041561615240 wrote: For all the criticism of BC for doing little or nothing, we all seem to agree he had little to trade and no money to spend. So I don't know what his options were. We'll see if things change in 2021.

When you have little money, you are almost destined to have a roster with Riddles and Miggy Del Pozzos and Mailles and JRMs of the world. Improved decision making will mean guys like Williams are gone; Neveraskus is gone and like. It's hard to make decisions when you really don't have depth in your minor leagues to push guys and are forced to bring in crap as free agents.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Just take note of the performance of the NL Central in the playoffs so far. Maybe The Loo runs the table, but would you bet on it?

The division made up half the NL playoff field. Three teams were bounced in 2 games, and shut out in FOUR of them. They combined for three runs between all of them. 

This division is so mediocre. There are no teams that appear to be on the rise. If there ever was a division to be in to quickly become relevant, it's this one. Because it won't take much to be mediocre in the NL Central in 2021.

I honestly think a couple bandaids in the form of a couple of guys with legit 25 HR power in the lineup will make this team not a contender in baseball, but a possible one for the NL Central. If this BC is all that about talent, he's going to need 2-3 years alone to build things up.

If there ever was a time for BOB to just creak open that pocketbook just a bit for some mid tier guys, this is it.

It wouldn't surprise me to see an 83 win season take this division next year
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

002621343D31263038530 wrote: Just take note of the performance of the NL Central in the playoffs so far. Maybe The Loo runs the table, but would you bet on it?

The division made up half the NL playoff field. Three teams were bounced in 2 games, and shout out in FOUR of them. They combined for three runs between all of them. 

This division is so mediocre. There are no teams that appear to be on the rise. If there ever was a division to be in to quickly become relevant, it's this one. Because it won't take much to be mediocre in the NL Central in 2021.

I honestly think a couple bandaids in the form of a couple of guys with legit 25 HR power in the lineup will make this team not a contender in baseball, but a possible one for the NL Central. If this BC is all that about talent, he's going to need 2-3 years alone to build things up.

If there ever was a time for BOB to just creak open that pocketbook just a bit for some mid tier guys, this is it.

It wouldn't surprise me to see an 83 win season take this division next year
I totally agree with you. The three Central teams which have been eliminated all have older players on their 25 man roster. Guys like Lester, Molina, Wainwright and Votto are all veterans who could regress in the next year or two. 83 wins could be enough to take the division next season.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

People have counted the Cardinals out time and time again. Of them, I'd expect the Cardinals to do the most about it. They have the knack of doing it.

Then, there's that team in The Windy City. I hear they have that Epstein guy. And, Ricketts.

If the number's set at 83, I will take "over" right here, right now.

The Pirates have....Crickets.