Would You Trade A Starting Pitcher

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

042924353223347477460 wrote: I'm happy with Stallings catching. IMO a good defensive catcher is a necessity. Stallings is good behind the plate, has a good arm, is good at framing and seems to work well with the pitchers. If he hits .250 and 10 HRs a year that's a plus.

I think in short term the team needs another catcher like Stallings, he seems like one of those players that can be a plus if he starts 80 or 90 games. so the Bucs other catcher needs to be able to perform well for 70 or games.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Dangle the bait.

Get a real catcher. J.T. Realmuto. Offer $1 more than the Phillies and he's ours.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

If we were a team contending, Stallings would be a backup catcher.  His defense is very solid, but his bat sucks. He is fine for what we are.  I'm interested to see what he brings in 2021.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

For all qualified batters in MLB for the shortened season, Moran was the only guy on the team with an OPS above the league average of .740

Moran is the best bat they have to trade. What are you getting for that?

Starting pitchers? Until the last couple of weeks, none of their starting pitchers went deep into a game. What are you getting for that?

It's obvious this team needs in influx of talent, but trading isn't going to do a thing. They don't have anything to trade.

IMHO their best option is to identify what the strength of the team is, and build around that. From that standpoint, it is the starting pitching from how I see it. They look to have a couple of serviceable relief pitchers. So the bullpen appears to actually have a chance to be a quick fix to be competent.

With an offense that strikes out too much, that doesn't get on base consistently, and doesn't have power is the most challenging problem. It's going to take at best 2-3 years to fix that via the draft. With no real trade prospects, it seems to me they have no choice but to try and spend their way to mediocrity. Lower tier FA's. Guys with some sort of track record.

And we know how that's going to go. Leaving us right back to where we always seem to be. Hoping for rebound years.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

5141407761616D020 wrote: If we were a team contending, Stallings would be a backup catcher.  His defense is very solid, but his bat sucks.  He is fine for what we are.  I'm interested to see what he brings in 2021.

I don't agree at all with- he's fine for what we are.  It's the exact opposite!

We are.....BECAUSE we have him...and, 24 guys like him. 

So, that makes us agree on the first part- that he's a backup catcher who starts for us because we're too incompetent to develop anyone better, and we're too stingy to go outside to get one.

He's not turning into Johnny Bench next year, so he'll be Jacob Stallings in 2021.