7/28 game thread vs Milw

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

shedman

7/28 game thread vs Milw

Post by shedman »

7B5D5C4B5D4D3E0 wrote: If Shelton would post a line up consisting of Tucker, Moran, Osuna, Reynolds, Newman, Stallings, Kramer and Martin, he would have a team of all LMG's.  BOB would be in ecstasy and give out bonuses to Shelton and Cherintgton.  Then all Cherington would have to do is get rid of Archer, Polanco, and Bell in exchange for more LMG's and BOB would be near an all LMG team.

the Pirates are not going to sneak into the playoffs this year.  The team needs to focus on players that can get into the playoffs next year or be dealt for players that can do that. 

There should be no thinking about what can happen in 2023.
____

Yeah, we are always playing for a future that never arrives in Pittsburgh.
GreenWeenie

7/28 game thread vs Milw

Post by GreenWeenie »

7B5D5C4B5D4D3E0 wrote: If Shelton would post a line up consisting of Tucker, Moran, Osuna, Reynolds, Newman, Stallings, Kramer and Martin, he would have a team of all LMG's.  BOB would be in ecstasy and give out bonuses to Shelton and Cherintgton.  Then all Cherington would have to do is get rid of Archer, Polanco, and Bell in exchange for more LMG's and BOB would be near an all LMG team.

the Pirates are not going to sneak into the playoffs this year.  The team needs to focus on players that can get into the playoffs next year or be dealt for players that can do that. 

There should be no thinking about what can happen in 2023.

If these guys aren't good enough to "sneak into the playoffs" in 2020, then they aren't good enough to trade away for players who are......unless two or three are traded away to get one.
shedman

7/28 game thread vs Milw

Post by shedman »

033621212A1321212A2D21440 wrote: Clearly, the Pirates do not have as much talent as most teams in baseball.  But ---

Snip

I agree with you, though I have no thoughts of post-season play.

That said, I've never once gone into work and not at least tried to do the best I could.

This idea of allowing a manager to do anything other than doing his best to field the best roster he can on any given day is contrary to anything I believe in, and I'd refuse to do it.  i'd resign or allow myself to be let go.  It's happened.

If Cherrington's expected to tell Shelton who's playing and when, then we don't need Shelton.  Give Cherrington a uniform to put on.

Cherrington has more than sufficient time to gain whatever information he needs to do his job.  He doesn't need to think of himself as a Little League coach who has to let every kid take his turn.

He should allow Shelton to decide on who should play based on all available criteria.  Some guys need rest or whatever.  But, he should field the best nine he has at any given time given those conditions.  Playing time should be earned, even on the worst of teams.  It's how teams get better.  Everyone pushes each other.

Cherrington has tape.  He watches practices.  He knows who has what.  And if he doesn't, then he's not the right person for his job.

_______

Well, you certainly are not doing the best that you can for your employer when you are posting on this thread during work hours. Are you going to resign???
GreenWeenie

7/28 game thread vs Milw

Post by GreenWeenie »

You have to take a dump every once in a while. I tend to post a lot either from there or when I'm standing in line waiting for slow pokes to move in front of me.

I get vacations, too. Not as many as a Pirates general manager, but I do get some.