MLB reporting that Archer is a Buc.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

found this on mlb.com, so it doesn't really make sense to me why players have not been named if they have been decided upon. Seems like players must not be decided upon but lists have been created. Still would like to know deadline to finalize deals, seems like that could be made public.

When clubs consent to include a player to be named later (often abbreviated PTBNL) in a trade, they agree to decide upon or announce the final player involved in that trade at a later date.

Using a PTBNL can be especially advantageous after the non-waiver Trade Deadline, as players that would otherwise be required to first clear waivers can be included in the trade as a PTBNL -- provided they are not on the 25-man roster -- and officially sent to their new club once waiver clearance is no longer mandatory for a trade.

In other instances, the club sending the PTBNL away will provide the acquiring club with a list of players from which to select the PTBNL. In such cases, an agreed-upon deadline -- by which the acquiring club must select the PTBNL -- will often be set.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

The PTBNL can also be variable on whether the team makes the playoffs or not (or meets some other criteria I suppose)
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

Based on that, the PTBNLs couldnt be on the 40 man unless they don't name the player until after the season.

All players on the 40 who are traded after augt 1st need to pass through waivers.

All but eliminates a bunch of high minors guys.   It's not Kang.  Not Escobar, Sadler, moroff.   Not Feliz.   They would all have to pass through waivers unless they aren't named for a long time

maher.timothy20@gm

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

2F262E3F314B0 wrote: I thought I also saw that NH said it was someone that fans of the team would recognize.

That would seem to imply it's someone from the MLB squad, or has spent time on the MLB squad. Moroff, Brault or Frazier maybe?

Can't be on 25 man at time of trade.  Kang?   I sure hope not him

Me, too. I'll be pissed if it's Kang. We need a 3B for next year (or later this year).
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

59555C51461A405D595B405C4D0604745359340 wrote: I thought I also saw that NH said it was someone that fans of the team would recognize.

That would seem to imply it's someone from the MLB squad, or has spent time on the MLB squad. Moroff, Brault or Frazier maybe?

Can't be on 25 man at time of trade.  Kang?   I sure hope not him

Me, too. I'll be pissed if it's Kang. We need a 3B for next year (or later this year).

I won't be too upset if it is Kang. We have been without him now going onto 2 yrs. With his current injury status I doubt we see him until late this month or in Sept when the rosters expand. And who knows if he is the Kang of old having not played much and not showing his old self when he does.

In reality I think it will be an A ball player of some but not not great upside. We just have to be patient and wait and see.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

a little reaction to the big trade

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/al ... -deadline/

I do agree that Chris Archer is not the guy that Pirates fans are making him out to be right now (though still a good pitcher, maybe better than his #s). And I agree it's a strange time to do it.

I guess we'll see how thoughts about this trade go as the initial excitement wears off.

nrakich: Most surprising to me was the Pirates’ trade for Chris Archer. They made a big show of dumping Gerrit Cole and Andrew McCutchen during the offseason, and now they turn around and get Archer, who is a poor excuse for Cole. Cole, meanwhile, has gone absolutely bananas in Houston.

neil: That I agree with ^^

nrakich: Cole has a 2.55 ERA and 12.4 strikeouts per nine innings this year. If the Pirates had that, they’d be in prime Wild Card position right now. Instead, they get a third of a season of Archer and his 4.31 ERA.

neil: The Pirates have been hot recently — they’ve won 16 of 20, including Tuesday night vs. the Cubs — but it was almost the worst time to get hot, because it convinced them to buy after (like you said) acting like sellers for a while. That said, Archer is under team control longer than Cole would have been, so it’s not a totally win-now move for Pittsburgh.

sara.ziegler: Yeah, I don’t think the Pirates took their Doyle Number to heart.

gfoster: But don’t you respect a team for going for it? There’s less of that now with all the teams trying to tank — as Neil wrote this week. Also, I don’t think Austin Meadows or Tyler Glasnow are THAT good. They could be almost selling high.

nrakich: Ooh, fightin’ words. The tarnish has gone off their prospect shine, but there’s still time for them to turn it around.

gfoster: They are touted prospects, but are they stars? Will the Pirates regret this in five years?

nrakich: Glasnow has turned things around after a rough start to the season:

gfoster: The Rays have a rotation?!?!

neil: LOL.

As of now, it’s Glasnow and only Glasnow:

nrakich: And Meadows has been in the big leagues for all of 150 at bats.

Plus, is Archer really that good?

gfoster: He’s a little overrated, I guess.

nrakich: Archer is a household name, and he always has a good FIP (fielding-independent pitching), but he hasn’t lived up to it for several years.

sara.ziegler: I would take 102 strikeouts in 96 innings pitched.

nrakich: Don’t get me wrong, I love his peripherals. But he’s on his third straight year now with an ERA over 4. Something isn’t translating; I don’t think we can call it luck anymore.

gfoster: In the AL East though. He won’t be facing the Red Sox and Yankees every other night now.

neil: (On the other hand, he’s also not facing Chris Davis.)

gfoster: Chris Davis is actually 98 of those strikeouts.

sara.ziegler: I think that, for where the Pirates are in the standings, this isn’t a bad move. The Cubs and Brewers are catchable, and even if Pittsburgh doesn’t make the playoffs, this was an OK trade for the future.

nrakich: I did find it interesting how the Pirates and Cardinals went into deadline day in essentially the same position, but the Pirates decided to buy and the Cardinals decided to sell. I feel like the Cardinals were the smart ones there.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

fangraphs stuff

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/zips-tr ... al-league/

The most surprising result among these updated projections is probably the Pirates’ place relative to the other two contenders in the NL Central. While Chris Archer has ace-like stuff, he hasn’t stood out this year, and the Pirates have already had a rotation full of decent-but-not-spectacular pitchers. Keone Kela continues to make any control issues a memory and has a FIP below three, but the Pirates bullpen wasn’t really the problem, either (and Glasnow had a 3.63 FIP!). I think these were good moves by the Pirates, but not necessarily best for 2019, as they didn’t seem to address the team’s largest short-term holes.

Also, the math is daunting: not only are the Pirates significantly behind both the Brewers and Cubs for the division, but also seven other teams and the Brewers/Cub loser for two Wild Card spots. It would actually be preferable, in that case, to be situated six games behind just a lone team in the Wild Card, like Oakland was a few weeks ago. What makes this an exciting trade is the next few years: Chris Archer possesses team options through 2021, while Kela also won’t hit free agency until that year. I like both Tyler Glasnow and Austin Meadows despite their flaws (especially present in the latter), but at some point, the Pirates have to commit to the near future instead of the far one.
Kovalwat

Post by Kovalwat »

Attaboy Neal, this is a lot more like it.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Ha

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/ken-rosenthal- ... -288214296

Ken Rosenthal predicted the exact Chris Archer to Pirates trade two years ago
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »