NLCS - Braves vs DaBums

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

johnfluharty

NLCS - Braves vs DaBums

Post by johnfluharty »

0C000904134F15080C0E150918535121060C610 wrote: The analogy you use makes me wonder how good the teams around those types of players in football or hockey have to be compared to how good the teams around a single superstar baseball player would have to be - a guy like Bonds.  I suppose you can surround Crosby with a dead average team and still do really well and likewise surround a guy like Brady with a dead average football team and do well.  But you put Bonds on an average baseball team is that a playoff contender?

Mike Trout?

I didn't really follow him or the team is on much. Are you saying that's an example of one superstar on an otherwise very average team?
GreenWeenie

NLCS - Braves vs DaBums

Post by GreenWeenie »

303532343C362F323B282E235A0 wrote: The analogy you use makes me wonder how good the teams around those types of players in football or hockey have to be compared to how good the teams around a single superstar baseball player would have to be - a guy like Bonds.  I suppose you can surround Crosby with a dead average team and still do really well and likewise surround a guy like Brady with a dead average football team and do well.  But you put Bonds on an average baseball team is that a playoff contender?

Mike Trout?

I didn't really follow him or the team is on much.  Are you saying that's an example of one superstar on an otherwise very average team?

Without decent pitching....you have the Angels.
GreenWeenie

NLCS - Braves vs DaBums

Post by GreenWeenie »

Back on topic- the NLCS- Dodgers better get in gear.
GreenWeenie

NLCS - Braves vs DaBums

Post by GreenWeenie »

They did.
WildwoodDave2

NLCS - Braves vs DaBums

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

033621212A1321212A2D21440 wrote: They did.
6-5 Dodgers Game over-Jansen strikes out the side in the top of the 9th
GreenWeenie

NLCS - Braves vs DaBums

Post by GreenWeenie »

Musta been concerned about meeting Surg's quota. ;)
2drfischer@gmail.c

NLCS - Braves vs DaBums

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

Dodgers rally from three runs down and likely save their season. So far, these have been two good series.
WildwoodDave2

NLCS - Braves vs DaBums

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

174157434C56464D4057654248444C490B46250 wrote: Dodgers rally from three runs down and likely save their season.  So far, these have been two good series.
Right you are doc, wouldn't be at all surprised if both series go 7 games
maher.timothy20@gm

NLCS - Braves vs DaBums

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

515453555D574E535A494F423B0 wrote: The analogy you use makes me wonder how good the teams around those types of players in football or hockey have to be compared to how good the teams around a single superstar baseball player would have to be - a guy like Bonds.  I suppose you can surround Crosby with a dead average team and still do really well and likewise surround a guy like Brady with a dead average football team and do well.  But you put Bonds on an average baseball team is that a playoff contender?

Mike Trout?

I didn't really follow him or the team is on much.  Are you saying that's an example of one superstar on an otherwise very average team?

Yes, sorry for being vague. You can put somebody widely regarded as the best player in baseball on a particular team, and it doesn't really mean anything, because to win really requires a full team.

But put prime Jordan on an NBA team and it's hard for them to not be good. The Patriots were mediocre in many regards for a lot of years but they were contenders anyway because they had Tom Brady.

That's why you can have a salary cap in those leagues and still have a particular team be dominant over a period of years. In baseball (in my opinion) a salary cap would do a better job of creating competitive balance.

GreenWeenie

NLCS - Braves vs DaBums

Post by GreenWeenie »

It took Michael Jordan seven years for the Bulls to win his first NBA championship for a reason.  Even then- and, even with Michael Jordan- no one player was enough.

He never won another after leaving the Bulls, either as a player or owner, because no one player can carry a team to the finish line. 

The challenge in baseball is figuring out how to spread the money best.  But, we can say that in the other sports, too.

Making that- and other key decisions is- competence.