Reds@Pirates 4/5 Game Thread...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Can someone describe the Gonzalez play for me? I am THRILLED to hear he made a spectacular play and is hopefully coming around. He needs to be an ELITE glove at SS.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

745954454253440407360 wrote: OMG!!! Gonzalez with an unbelievable play!!!
:D
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

4F6D7E636065626D4E796F6F630C0 wrote: Can someone describe the Gonzalez play for me? I am THRILLED to hear he made a spectacular play and is hopefully coming around. He needs to be an ELITE glove at SS.

It's probably on plenty of highlight reels, but with Gonzalez shaded towards second base Barnhart smashes a one hop liner 10-12 feet to the left of Gonzalez. With a 6'3" full body dive at an angle slightly out towards left so that he lands in the outfield grass, Gonzalez gloves the dang thing. Now for me what was almost as amazing was after landing at an angle taking him away from first base, Gonzalez cat-like immediately comes up firing in one motion not only a strike, but a throw that had plenty of juice to first. Getting the ball was amazing, but how Gonzalez recovered so quickly and came back to his feet and threw almost in unison was almost as stunning. As Barnhart walked back to the dugout he kept looking back towards Gonzalez and shaking his head. Incredible play.

Gonzalez has seemed to be up tight to me. I sure hope this relaxes him a bit. It was a "Aha, that's what those scouts saw in you. Welcome to Pittsburgh kid." type of thing.