Pirates vs Brewers - 8/7 The Sit Down Bell Game 2 Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WiffleballHero

Post by WiffleballHero »

I helped a guy clean out a septic tank once. It didn't smell anywhere near as bad as the Pirates do right now. This pitching staff could gag a maggot on a gut wagon.
BenM

Post by BenM »

6171704751515D320 wrote: The worst part about this season is the painful reality that NEXT season is going to be even worse ... an abomination.

We have NO PITCHING. None.

And we sure aren't going to go out and sign anybody who's any good.

We'll go into the season with a bunch of No. 5 caliber starters and NH will spend the offseason raving about the "depth" of our starting pitching and our "internal options."

Honestly I can't take another year of it ...
this sounds right.  we know the defense isn't going to help the pitching staff and we know the offense isn't going to outslug anybody.

You don't win by being below average in all aspects of the game.

Our offense isn't below average.  That said, basically every other aspect is well below average.

I don't see anyone losing their jobs.  How can someone lose a job if the owner looks in the mirror and is honest with himself to say I haven't really done anything to help the cause.  We have NO internal options absent Keller for the starting rotation.  We DON'T have too many internal options pitching wise at all that are ready.  Can't use that comment for NH because those who know better won't buy it.

Next year will be worse ... Dickerson is gone already for crap probably;Lyles is gone;  Cervelli will be gone (doesn't matter), but that 25 million won't be reinvested in anything worthwhile.  So ... status quo.

Neither will the money from the new TV contract.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Joe Block just said in the postgame it’s easy for the announcers like him to not worry about these losses cause it doesn’t effect them they just try to entertain and bring you a good ballgame. Great attitude to have Joe. I bet Your colleague Greg Brown would disagree with you and that he cares a helluva a lot about whether this team wins or loses unlike yourself who clearly doesn’t.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

163031263020530 wrote: The worst part about this season is the painful reality that NEXT season is going to be even worse ... an abomination.

We'll go into the season with a bunch of No. 5 caliber starters and NH will spend the offseason raving about the "depth" of our starting pitching and our "internal options."

this sounds right.  we know the defense isn't going to help the pitching staff and we know the offense isn't going to outslug anybody.

Our offense isn't below average.  That said, basically every other aspect is well below average.

I don't see anyone losing their jobs.  How can someone lose a job if the owner looks in the mirror and is honest with himself to say I haven't really done anything to help the cause.  We have NO internal options absent Keller for the starting rotation.  We DON'T have too many internal options pitching wise at all that are ready.  Can't use that comment for NH because those who know better won't buy it.

Next year will be worse ... Dickerson is gone already for crap probably;Lyles is gone;  Cervelli will be gone (doesn't matter), but that 25 million won't be reinvested in anything worthwhile.  So ... status quo.
I think the offense is average at best. 26th in homers, 19th in runs scored, 19th in ops, 6th in average, 27th in walks.

They have shown stretches where the offense is pretty darn good. They have lost a lot of games scoring 4 or more runs. Newman, Reynolds, Marte, Bell, Osuna is hitting; Moran has had a decent year ... you have a better than average offense IMO. Not saying there isn't room for improvement, but ...
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

4F5F5E697F7F731C0 wrote: The worst part about this season is the painful reality that NEXT season is going to be even worse ... an abomination.

I think the offense is average at best. 26th in homers, 19th in runs scored, 19th in ops, 6th in average, 27th in walks.

They have shown stretches where the offense is pretty darn good.  They have lost a lot of games scoring 4 or more runs.  Newman, Reynolds, Marte, Bell, Osuna is hitting; Moran has had a decent year ... you have a better than average offense IMO.  Not saying there isn't room for improvement, but ...
average is compared to the league. The team offense is better than what it has been the past couple years but so are other teams. 19th out of 30 isn't good.

I think with offense this year a lot of teams have lost games where they scored 4 or more runs (probably someway to track how the Bucs rank in that but I don't know how to do it). here is link to runs scored per game: https://www.teamrankings.com/mlb/stat/runs-per-game

nine national league teams are ahead of the Bucs (although Philadelphia and Milwaukee are very close to us).
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

043A35353F3631323F3F1B36213C530 wrote: I helped a guy clean out a septic tank once.  It didn't smell anywhere near as bad as the Pirates do right now.  This pitching staff could gag a maggot on a gut wagon.

One of the funniest posts ever on OBN. I have added it with proper credit at the bottom of my signature.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Zangrilli really laying into Hurdle on his postgame show on the fan getting on him for the way he responded to a question about getting a reaction for how the team is playing from

a media member and Hurdle responded by saying you guys in the media should just keep showing up and see how the team responds and leave it at that. He was really laying into Clint for being condescending and arrogant when he is in no position to be seeing how bad this team has been. I thought Zangrilli was tremendous for getting on Hurdle for his arrogance since nobody else will at times. It was well deserved calling Hurdle out.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

032435313429162235343429500 wrote: Joe Block just said in the postgame it’s easy for the announcers like him to not worry about these losses cause it doesn’t effect them they just try to entertain and bring you a good ballgame. Great attitude to have Joe. I bet Your colleague Greg Brown would disagree with you and that he cares a helluva a lot about whether this team wins or loses unlike yourself who clearly doesn’t.
Yeah, it's obvious Block believes that 3 innings of talking about nicknames is the entertainment fans are looking for when they tune into a ball game. ::)
ScottinMass

Post by ScottinMass »

775A57464150470704350 wrote: Will Joe Block PLEASE! stop talking about nicknames?!
Will Joe Block PLEASE! stop talking
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

47607175706D52667170706D140 wrote: I wonder if Bob Nutting ever comes out to PNC? 

I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s not seen a single game.

BTW, this season is an absolute disgrace. 

do you think the Pirates are just this bad?  or are they tanking on purpose?  Tanking doesn't make sense so I think they are just this bad.

I'm getting ready to check out on the Pirate season and just follow minor league teams for the rest of August.  Doesn't look like there are even any individual Bucs to root for (no individual leaders).

I think the players feel embarrassed to be part of such an unprofessional organization.  I don’t think they are tanking, I think they are just “dying”.

Here’s all anyone needs to know about this organization: zero accountability among the executives.  Zero.  That means winning is not a requirement on there job description. No one in the organization is trying to win a championship except by pure luck.

Nobody thinks so, but I expect some heads to roll. Yes , I know both Hurdle and Huntington are under contract for 2 more years, but I for one won’t be surprised if one or both are fired. I agree this is reaching the point right now where somebody almost has to be fired. If this team loses 95-100 games which is definitely possible there is no way that both Huntington or Hurdle should be back.

I don’t think any of the big guys are in any danger of losing jobs. They are willing to carry Nutting’s baggage, it may not be easy to find real professionals willing to fill those slots if Neal or Frank or Clint Are fired.

And my guess is Neal and frank and Clint have people under them they will protect in the same way. So uncle Ray is a lifer I suspect.

Heads will roll at some lower level, as those who truly have nothing to do with this mess take the ax.

Still, Neal has to put a team on the field. Surely he can see through his own BS and know next year is total disaster. If so, he may blow it up in off season.