I'm honored.
GreenWeenie

Davis being promoted to the Bucs

Post by GreenWeenie »

A Primer For Ben Cherington to help him cram for his SATs:

Hank Davis= Apple

Outfielders= Nail gun

Therefore, the correct conclusion =

Hank Davis is not an outfielder. He is a Catcher.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

5E737E6F68796E2E2D1C0 wrote: This really angers me. I'm glad they're bringing him up, but there's nothing that he learned in the last six days to suddenly be ready for MLB. I totally understand the idea behind debuting him at home. But that means they just played six very important division games with less than their ideal lineup. Would it have made any difference? Probably not. Honestly, he'll probably be overmatched at first. But it's tough to do worse than 0-6 on a six game trip. Maybe he wouldn't have helped. But maybe he would have.
But when do they ever play their best lineup? It's always a priority to rest someone or to give a weak hitter a turn to start. I don't think that playing their best lineup even ever occurs to Shelton/Cherington. I don't say that to bash them. There really seems to be a disconnect between what are obviously their best options and what they choose to do. It's bizarre. Shelton doesn't seem to comprehend a good decision from a bad one and Cherington is totally on board with him. I watch every game just waiting for management of the team to create obstacles that must be overcome. And it always seems to quickly become apparent. If there's any way to misuse Davis, I'm sure they'll exploit it. Not because they want to. But because they're too stupid not to. 

Not trying to be a SA.  I just wonder whether I'm alone in my question:

Do you (the fellow member) feel that the brass believes as much in this team's chances of winning this less-than-desirable division as, perhaps, the players feel that they can with the right moves and right decisions being made? 

Of course, the answer to that question would tell us how we, on this board, believe in our ability to do it.

I think with the right moves and placing our ultimate best players on the field, there would be that chance, and that's taking into account that the Brewers, Reds, and Cubs will adjust their rosters, too.

No.  I don't mean ridiculous notions like "go out and trade for Otani."  I'm talking 'reasonable' moves. 

We're not a fantastic team.  I just don't think that any of the others are all that great shakes, either.

I think the players take the field every day wanting to win and would love to win the division or be a WC team. That's just a natural competitive instinct.

But the front office...not so much. It's always easier to be planning for the future than to declare that "now is the time" and be judged on the success or failure of that plan. The 20-8 start this season was great but totally unexpected, even by management. The 14-28 record since then suggests that, other than that brief 28-game window, they have improved little over recent seasons. But those first 28 games count and even at 34-36 the weakness of the division puts them in a competitive position instead of being a bottom feeder. IMHO, team management will continue to plan for the future but would love to win the weak division by default. But whether they win it will have to depend on how poorly the other teams do, rather than making efforts to put the Pirates over the top. The starting pitching is weak. Other than Bednar, Moreta and Ramirez, the bullpen is unrecognizable from how it looked a week or 10 days ago. The hitting is chronically weak.

Hopefully, Davis will get a chance to help and not spend too much time on the bench watching Hedges and Delay catching. Endy Rodriguez needs to be promoted and Cruz returns in August. I don't see this front office doing much else.

Agree with your post Bobster

I believe and I think the players believe that they can win this division. Especially since the team with the best lineup, the Cardinals is tanking. However, I don’t think the front office saw this as a competitive year that may have playoff possibilities. They were looking at a year or two out.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Hey guys, I am back but on a rehab assignment. I plan to listen to the game and do the Official Game Day Thread if possible.

This being a big game will you take the night off and go to the game Surg? It would be fun to see your commentary on the game.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

52737B527971160 wrote: Hey guys, I am back but on a rehab assignment.  I plan to listen to the game and do the Official Game Day Thread if possible.

This being a big game will you take the night off and go to the game Surg?  It would be fun to see your commentary on the game.
Glad to have you back, Possum. We didn't want to keep you on the IL and have to call up a moderator prospect from AAA. ;D
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

4F626F7E79687F3F3C0D0 wrote: So they stick Davis in the OF and the poor guy is hoping like hell nobody hits the ball to him. Thats just a terrible position to be in.

He's played 13 games this year in RF. When you have a fantastic catching duo like Hedges and Delay, it's hard to crack the lineup.  ::)

In the olden days the Bucs thought Manny Sanguillen could be a decent right fielder. 

I remember listening to a game on the radio where the Expos had put catcher (but primarily pinch hitter) into left field to get his bat in the line up.  Nelly King and Bob Prince felt sorry for him as he showed he didn't know how to catch a fly ball.  They kept laughing.  I'm not sure PNC is the best place to start a player in the outfield as the Clemente Wall is going to be tricky. 

At this point, Davis has not even tried first base.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I agree EcBucs.

Henry Davis and Endy Rodriguez are considered the catchers of the future. Well, let's start that future tonight.

Put Davis behind the plate where he is the most comfortable. Give Hedges another day of rest. It's not like Hedges will suddenly forget how to hit because that became a distant memory long ago.

I believe players, particularly players who are experiencing their first game, should be put in the best position for them to succeed. Put him behind the plate and let's see how he does.

I am also anxious to see where they choose to bat him in the line-up. I would go for 6th, but hey, early in his career, I thought Jimmy Anderson could be a major league pitcher.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

614048614A42250 wrote: Hey guys, I am back but on a rehab assignment.  I plan to listen to the game and do the Official Game Day Thread if possible.

This being a big game will you take the night off and go to the game Surg?  It would be fun to see your commentary on the game.
Sorry, I'd love to be there for the debut, but I am scheduled for work.

Good to see you're on the mend.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

173130273121520 wrote: So they stick Davis in the OF and the poor guy is hoping like hell nobody hits the ball to him. Thats just a terrible position to be in.

He's played 13 games this year in RF. When you have a fantastic catching duo like Hedges and Delay, it's hard to crack the lineup.  ::)

In the olden days the Bucs thought Manny Sanguillen could be a decent right fielder. 

I remember listening to a game on the radio where the Expos had put catcher (but primarily pinch hitter) into left field to get his bat in the line up.  Nelly King and Bob Prince felt sorry for him as he showed he didn't know how to catch a fly ball.  They kept laughing.  I'm not sure PNC is the best place to start a player in the outfield as the Clemente Wall is going to be tricky. 

At this point, Davis has not even tried first base.
The only reason the Pirates put Sanguillen in right field was because he was a beloved member of the team, and a very close friend of Clemente. The fans would not give him a hard time. It would have been an impossible task for anyone to take over right field in 1973 and not feel they had to live up to Clemente. Sanguillen was the perfect choice.