Official McCutchen trade thread...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SpeedyG

Post by SpeedyG »

132E29332E29470 wrote: Appears that Nats are close to acquiring Sale. I think that will end the trade discussions for Cutch.  Maybe that mystery team will offer a package that the Bucs will accept.

I don't neccesarlily think that's the case.

Would you do Cutch for Ross, Lopez and Gino?

I tend to agree - getting Sale might allow the Nats to move some of their younger Major League pitchers. Ross and Lopez would both slot right into the Pirates 2017 rotation.

I don't know if the Pirates are deadset on getting prospects in return, but they do appear to have at least 2 spots open in the rotation...
Leyland1948

Post by Leyland1948 »

Sorry Tintin I posted the same question on another message.
CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

The Nats need to make a splash, but I don't think we get Robles AND a top pitching prospect (Giolito, Lopez) back. I'd rather get the pitching. I can see a deal where we get Giolito (I prefer him to Lopez but admit to not knowing a ton about Lopez) and Ross.

Or how about a 3-way deal with CWS where we get Quintana, Nats get Cutch, CWS get (Robles or Lopez or Giolito) and a lower level prospect from us (Tucker?)? Too creative to happen.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Saw a tweet that McCutchen is now going to Pirates Fest. That's a good sign if true.

Other tweets saying Pirates couldn't agree on the third player in a deal with the Nationals and wanted a more ready pitcher. I guess Huntington doesn't believe the Giolito hype?
NJBucsFan

Post by NJBucsFan »

Joel Sherman just tweeted "#Pirates people were surprised when deal to #Nats didn't go thru. Now McCutchen staying, likely moving to corner OF"
CutchisaBoss

Post by CutchisaBoss »

Looks like Cutch is staying a Pirate for now. I know this might not make the most sense long term, but I'm happy it played out like this. I would have a had time excepting that disappointing season last year being his last impression as a Pirate.

He posted a tweet tonight that basically was saying he's keeping his mouth shut and just continuing to work.

I bet he has a huge bounce back year in 2017 as our RF. Then if Nutting opens the check book just a bit to add another arm and we catch a break with Glasnow's development...who knows, we might just get one last shot at the postseason with Cutch.
sdimmick3

Post by sdimmick3 »

barring a significant trade of our prospects for a decent pitcher, I highly doubt the playoffs are realistic. We just don't match up well any longer to these top teams. There are no FA guys out there that can plug in at #2-#3 besides T. Ross and he's hurt now.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Ivan Nova's price might be coming down. He isn't getting much interest. teams are looking to make a trade than sign him at this point.

Nova would be a nice addition to the rotation and not cost any prospects.

I am glad McCutchen is staying. His value might be higher now than it will be next year, but this team can win in 2017 with him. They just need a veteran starter and a few bullpen pieces.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

373C34383D3C276264132A323B3C3C7D303C530 wrote: Ivan Nova's price might be coming down.  He isn't getting much interest.  teams are looking to make a trade than sign him at this point. 

Nova would be a nice addition to the rotation and not cost any prospects.

I am glad McCutchen is staying.  His value might be higher now than it will be next year, but this team can win in 2017 with him.  They just need a veteran starter and a few bullpen pieces.

If Cutch can hit around 25 homers and hit close to 300 the Bucs could have a good offense this season. If realignment in outfield turns outfield into best defensive outfield in baseball that will help quite a bit too.

Still need to upgrade pitching to have a shot though. Without the Shark there are likely to be a few more blown saves than we are accustomed.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I can see Cutch having a very good year and having more trade value next year than this. The question would be where to play him defensively. The talk is right field, but is that a better spot for him than left?