Sunday Lineup

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Sunday Lineup

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Diaz picks Russell off 3rd for the 2nd out. That was one of the slickest plays I’ve ever seen.
rucker59@gmail.com

Sunday Lineup

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Adam Frazier!

Buccos 2-1!!
Ecbucs

Sunday Lineup

Post by Ecbucs »

Frazier the hero.
SteadyFreddy

Sunday Lineup

Post by SteadyFreddy »

It’s a damn shame the Pirates gave up 4 entire runs this entire 4 game series against an offense as good as the Cubs and only were able to split this series. Adam Frazier is making a pretty strong case to allow the Pirates to let JHay walk next season and let him be your everyday 2nd baseman in 2019. Bucs back over .500 and are 5.5 out of the 2nd wildcard with 37 games left as they continue to keep a faint faint pulse alive in this playoff race.
DemDog

Sunday Lineup

Post by DemDog »

494E58505E490E027B5C565A5257155854563B0 wrote: I’m putting my application in for the job of 3rd base coach for the Pirates.  It’s seems to be a low stress job, kind of like being a weatherman - just take a guess. 

As hard as runs are to come by, how you not force the Cubs to make a play at home plate? 

thank goodness you aren't wanting to be an umpire cause we both know you are blind in one eye and can't see out of the other with those close pitches. At least as 3B coach you can see from a distance! ;D ;D ;D ;D
DemDog

Sunday Lineup

Post by DemDog »

To paraphrase Howard Cossell at the "Thrilla in Manilla" Out Goes Frazier!  Out Goes Frasier!

Imagine, we wanted Frasier to start the game and if he would have we would not have had the "Thrilla in The Burgh" today!
steve49

Sunday Lineup

Post by steve49 »

67424141547F424A485F2D0 wrote: I didn't mind sending Newman but they needed to send Polanco earlier.  What is blocking the plate?  Because Newman was safe if he didn't get kicked away by the catcher.  His hand would have beaten the tag
Totally agree. Made sense to send him with 2 outs and the only reason he wasn't safe is because the catcher stuck his leg out to prevent Newman from getting to the plate. I thought that was the text book definition of the blocking rule.

I really need an explanation of that rule. Newman scores if his arm is not pinned by the catcher extending his leg. Plus he had to go way wide of home plate due to the catcher standing in front of the plate blocking the base path before he had the ball

I'm watching the post game now and will comment again if I see the play. I would think that there's a good chance he had the ball when he swung his leg out to block the plate.
steve49

Sunday Lineup

Post by steve49 »

7A7D6B636D7A3D31486F65696164266B6765080 wrote: I didn't mind sending Newman but they needed to send Polanco earlier.  What is blocking the plate?  Because Newman was safe if he didn't get kicked away by the catcher.  His hand would have beaten the tag
Totally agree. Made sense to send him with 2 outs and the only reason he wasn't safe is because the catcher stuck his leg out to prevent Newman from getting to the plate. I thought that was the text book definition of the blocking rule.

Agreed.  I would have sent him.  And if that wasn’t blocking I don’t know what qualifies.

But Cora - talk about a bad day: doesn’t send a runner when the ball is booted all over the infield, does send the guy who is nailed at home!

I just watched the post game show and IMO there's no way they should have reversed the call. It looked to me like he already had the ball when he blocked the plate. At worst it was simultaneous and the call would stand as called.
Bobster21

Sunday Lineup

Post by Bobster21 »

Robbie with another pithy question: "A walk-off in the bottom half of the 11th, a 3-0 pitch, you're mobbed at home plate, what just happened?"
steve49

Sunday Lineup

Post by steve49 »

7E535E4F48594E0E0D3C0 wrote: Robbie with another pithy question: "A walk-off in the bottom half of the 11th, a 3-0 pitch, you're mobbed at home plate, what just happened?"

How about the one a bit later ? " You only had 2 at bats in this game. The first came PHing for the pitcher. What put you in position to hit the walk off HR."