This road trip is going to be disastrous

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

7D604446482D0 wrote: I think these last couple games have made it clear that the poor baseball that the Pirates often play is not unique to the Pirates.  Everyone lauds the Cards as being model organization.  They played a lot of bad baseball over these couple days.

For example, the Cards couldn't score late with runners on first and third with no one out.  Their bullpen imploded yesterday with a lead.  This board would be going nuts on the Pirates if the roles were reversed.  I think this sort of baseball is the norm across MLB.
And I add that it always has been. People act like back in the "good old days" guys never had bad plays or mental mistakes or "took plays off" but really our minds just tend to remember the good bits.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

45777B7B6F5D7E777A7F7077160 wrote: I think these last couple games have made it clear that the poor baseball that the Pirates often play is not unique to the Pirates.  Everyone lauds the Cards as being model organization.  They played a lot of bad baseball over these couple days.

For example, the Cards couldn't score late with runners on first and third with no one out.  Their bullpen imploded yesterday with a lead.  This board would be going nuts on the Pirates if the roles were reversed.  I think this sort of baseball is the norm across MLB.
And I add that it always has been.  People act like back in the "good old days" guys never had bad plays or mental mistakes or "took plays off" but really our minds just tend to remember the good bits.
Jose Martinez is brutal in RF for St.L. He makes Polanco look good.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

yeah, i guess since he's hitting you can hide him somewhere
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

485571737D180 wrote: I think these last couple games have made it clear that the poor baseball that the Pirates often play is not unique to the Pirates.  Everyone lauds the Cards as being model organization.  They played a lot of bad baseball over these couple days.

For example, the Cards couldn't score late with runners on first and third with no one out.  Their bullpen imploded yesterday with a lead.  This board would be going nuts on the Pirates if the roles were reversed.  I think this sort of baseball is the norm across MLB. The Pirates still have a long way to go if they want to be on the same level as the Cardinals organization. One weekend of bad baseball by the Cardinals and the Pirates taking 3 out of 4 from them isn’t going to change my mind in comparing these two franchises. The Cardinals have finished ahead of the Pirates for the last 20 years in the standings, they have won 3 pennants in the last 12-13 years and 2 World Series. The Pirates are one of 3 teams in baseball since 1979 to not play in a World Series and win a pennant. Fans like myself and everybody else want this team to play clean fundamental baseball so I’m not going to sit here and have a parade for the Pirates when they do because they should be doing it consistently every game.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

183F2E2A2F320D392E2F2F324B0 wrote: I think these last couple games have made it clear that the poor baseball that the Pirates often play is not unique to the Pirates.  Everyone lauds the Cards as being model organization.  They played a lot of bad baseball over these couple days.

For example, the Cards couldn't score late with runners on first and third with no one out.  Their bullpen imploded yesterday with a lead.  This board would be going nuts on the Pirates if the roles were reversed.  I think this sort of baseball is the norm across MLB. The Pirates still have a long way to go if they want to be on the same level as the Cardinals organization. One weekend of bad baseball by the Cardinals and the Pirates taking 3 out of 4 from them isn’t going to change my mind in comparing these two franchises. The Cardinals have finished ahead of the Pirates for the last 20 years in the standings, they have won 3 pennants in the last 12-13 years and 2 World Series. The Pirates are one of 3 teams in baseball since 1979 to not play in a World Series and win a pennant. Fans like myself and everybody else want this team to play clean fundamental baseball so I’m not going to sit here and have a parade for the Pirates when they do because they should be doing it consistently every game.

the point is that even the Might Cardinals make the same kinds of mistake that we as Pirates fans think only we do, it's just that only we do it.

sports fans sometimes forget that there are two teams out there, that's the point. when the team wins it's because "we" won the game: then the team loses it's because they blew it.
Tintin

Post by Tintin »

They showed a lot ore than I thought they were capable of.

A lot went right and lot of this credit goes to Clint.

Let’s keep winning.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

After blowing the home finale vs. the Rangers ...

After getting bludgeoned in the opener of the road trip at STL ...

If you had told me the Pirates would win 7 of the next 10, including 3 straight vs. the Cards and 3 straight vs. the Padres, I would have never believed it.

They deserve a lot of credit.

And they are somehow doing this despite being crippled with injuries.

It really is quite amazing.

Somehow they are in 4 games over .500 and somehow they are currently in playoff position.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

This team is resilient, and I think there are not many egos. This was a very good road trip, which I admit I did not expect to go well.
BenM

Post by BenM »

7F7372292029212C2B342E190 wrote: This team is resilient, and I think there are not many egos. This was a very good road trip, which I admit I did not expect to go well.

With the news of Taillion's injury following the eight game losing streak, I was sure they were done as playoff competitors.

Glad to say I was wrong.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

53747F5C110 wrote: This team is resilient, and I think there are not many egos. This was a very good road trip, which I admit I did not expect to go well.

With the news of Taillion's injury following the eight game losing streak, I was sure they were done as playoff competitors.

Glad to say I was wrong.

me too, even when the Pirates were good in the 1970's west coast trips were typically bad. I remember listening to a game against the Padres (think this was 1974) and the Pirates were up 7 or 8 to nothing in 7th or 8th inning and I finally fell asleep. Woke up the next day and my dad told me they lost. Thought the season was over but as we all know the Bucs rallied to take the division.