6/3 game thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

6/3 game thread

Post by SteadyFreddy »

They have gone from 9 games over to just 1 game over .500. I have a bad feeling once this team goes under .500 they aren’t gonna see it again. It’s been an absolute disaster these last 17 days or so.
Ecbucs

6/3 game thread

Post by Ecbucs »

05223337322F10243332322F560 wrote: They have gone from 9 games over to just 1 game over .500. I have a bad feeling once this team goes under .500 they aren’t gonna see it again. It’s been an absolute disaster these last 17 days or so.

at least the draft is tomorrow.

I may start my b@5+!@ and moaning tonight.
INbuc

6/3 game thread

Post by INbuc »

Might not have mattered what the lineup was today --- Wacha was as good today as Taillon was on Friday. However, does anyone remember Sunday lineups with Tanner and Leyland ...or Earl Weaver or Sparky Anderson? I thought in those days they would sub in one guy at a time and not dilute the entire lineup beyond a competitive level. Why does he do that?
SCBucco

6/3 game thread

Post by SCBucco »

57707B58150 wrote: I can't believe how badly this team has crapped the bed over the last three weeks.

This is exactly the team I expected to see to be honest. Starting pitching is flawed; our bullpen is inconsistent and leaky in big stretches and Hurdle doesn't play his best lineup. That isn't a winning formula. I will be interested to see what happens when Kang comes back, if it happens somewhat soon. Freese get dealt? I think sending Moran down would be counterproductive. I would consider dealing Cervelli sooner than later as his return is at an all-time high.
Bobster21

6/3 game thread

Post by Bobster21 »

50577B6C7A190 wrote: Might not have mattered what the lineup was today --- Wacha was as good today as Taillon was on Friday.  However, does anyone remember Sunday lineups with Tanner and Leyland ...or Earl Weaver or Sparky Anderson?  I thought in those days they would sub in one guy at a time and not dilute the entire lineup beyond a competitive level.  Why does he do that?
I usually don't see the point in wholesale lineup changes just because it's Sunday. Those games count too. But Hurdle hasn't been doing that as much this year. Today, Freese and Polanco played because they had good career stats vs Wacha. But there was no reason to give yet another start to Rodriguez. But Hurdle has never made winning the top priority.
skinnyhorse

6/3 game thread

Post by skinnyhorse »

We had a great opportunity to contend this year with the unexpected hot start. But Hurdle just couldn't stand it and has simply mismanaged this team especially lately. Giving away games lead to low morale and more lost games. Something NH and CH doesn't seem to understand. These fast unexpected starts come along very seldom and failure to capitalize on them is just unexcusable. Just hard to watch how bad it's gotten, once you start going down hill it's like a snowball. At least 2 more long years of this crap Huntington might get fired with 1 year left but not before then to much money lost. Why on why would anyone give 4 year contracts to management when a team is struggling like the Pirates. I feel sorry for the younger player especially.
dmetz

6/3 game thread

Post by dmetz »

6A6D415640230 wrote: There are about a dozen turds in today's punch bowl,  so I will pick out this one.  Matt Carpenter grounds a ball to Bell about 20 feet behind the 1st base.  Carpenter is about 45 feet from the bag.  Rather than run and tag first, Bell makes Brault run about 35 feet to 1B and he tosses it to him.  WHY? 

Oh he does this all the time. There are a lot of balls he could take himself, bit instead risks the pitcher getting stepped on, or the play being botched .

It's what you can expect from the worst +1bman in the NL. We need to set the bar lower!
Bobster21

6/3 game thread

Post by Bobster21 »

353C34252B510 wrote: There are about a dozen turds in today's punch bowl,  so I will pick out this one.  Matt Carpenter grounds a ball to Bell about 20 feet behind the 1st base.  Carpenter is about 45 feet from the bag.  Rather than run and tag first, Bell makes Brault run about 35 feet to 1B and he tosses it to him.  WHY? 

Oh he does this all the time.   There are a lot of balls he could take himself, bit instead risks the pitcher getting stepped on, or the play being botched .

It's what you can expect from the worst +1bman in the NL.   We need to set the bar lower!
It's standard procedure for any first baseman to take it himself whenever possible and not toss to the pitcher unless the 1Bman can't get to the bag ahead of the runner. It makes no sense to make the out depend on a good toss, a catch by a running pitcher who has to make sure he steps on the bag, and isn't run into by the runner. Just another fundamental error. Hurdle's teams seem to have a problem with fundamentals. I'm sure the coaches must be telling Bell to take the play himself. So if the message is not getting thru, it needs to be reinforced by immediately pulling him from a game the next time. Maybe even give him a few days off. It's not as if losing his bat from the lineup will make a difference. And since Hurdle is obsessed with having a cleanup batter who hits like Mercer, he can just move Mercer there.

Year after year, there seems to be a problem with Hurdle and his coaches being able to get thru to their players and correct mental errors.
SteadyFreddy

6/3 game thread

Post by SteadyFreddy »

The Pirates play 13 of their next 19 games starting Tuesday at PNC Park. At the end of this stretch on June 24th the Pirates will just about be at the halfway point of the season at 78 games played. So right now this team sits just 1 game over .500 and 3.5 games out of a playoff spot. If the wins don’t start picking up soon these numbers are going to continue to decrease and look worse and worse. I expect us to either still be hanging around at the end of this stretch in 3 weeks or for us to be completely out of it. Time for Hurdle to start playing his best lineups. No excuse period to be resting guys like Harrison or Dickerson especially this week. There is an off day today and both didn’t play yesterday. I don’t want to see Rodriguez starting any games in this 19 game stretch. He stinks and shouldn’t be playing period. Play your best guys Clint period and stop acting like this is Little League.
Bobster21

6/3 game thread

Post by Bobster21 »

1C3B2A2E2B36093D2A2B2B364F0 wrote: The Pirates play 13 of their next 19 games starting Tuesday at PNC Park. At the end of this stretch on June 24th the Pirates will just about be at the halfway point of the season at 78 games played. So right now this team sits just 1 game over .500 and 3.5 games out of a playoff spot. If the wins don’t start picking up soon these numbers are going to continue to decrease and look worse and worse. I expect us to either still be hanging around at the end of this stretch in 3 weeks or for us to be completely out of it. Time for Hurdle to start playing his best lineups. No excuse period to be resting guys like Harrison or Dickerson especially this week. There is an off day today and both didn’t play yesterday. I don’t want to see Rodriguez starting any games in this 19 game stretch. He stinks and shouldn’t be playing period. Play your best guys Clint period and stop acting like this is Little League.
Mark Madden agrees with you. I don't like Madden but I have to agree with him on this one.