Would you make this trade with the Yankees?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

No.

The Pirates have options in the OF, in the middle infield (Newman, Tucker, Kramer and Frazier), and the corners (Moran, Hayes and surprisingly Bell).

The two biggest needs I see on the team moving forward are pitchers and more talent at catcher.

The Pirates have limited trade assets. This isn't the draft where you pick the best available talent regardless of position. The Pirates need to target the positions where they need the most help in the near-term and longer term.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

6B474F484364534555260 wrote: No.

The Pirates have options in the OF, in the middle infield (Newman, Tucker, Kramer and Frazier), and the corners (Moran, Hayes and surprisingly Bell). 

The two biggest needs I see on the team moving forward are pitchers and more talent at catcher.

The Pirates have limited trade assets.  This isn't the draft where you pick the best available talent regardless of position.  The Pirates need to target the positions where they need the most help in the near-term and longer term.

We have no talent at catcher behind Diaz, so yes ...
CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

436E63727564733330010 wrote:

Gotta disagree on Frazier being a "buy low" candidate. His demotion to AAA only shows what a gluttony of riches the Yankees have. Frazier was hitting .283 with 11 HRs. And just since June 2nd, he's been red hot hitting .333. But on the "money s no object" Yankees (1st place, 44-27), he was just a very good placeholder for Stanton and Judge who are now returning. And if that weren't enough, NY just acquired Edwin Encarnacion. As good as Frazier has been, he would have been relegated to the bench this week and they prefer him playing everyday in AAA to sitting on the Yankees' bench. It's a debatable move but not a sign of inadequacy on the part of Frazier. And it may well be a precursor to trading him but I'm sure they could get more for him than a guy like Dickerson or Cabrera who would be a half season rental prior to free agency and who--like Frazier--would be crowded out by Gardner, Hicks, Stanton, Judge and Encarnacion.

I'm guilty of not having looked at Frazier's numbers. I live in the NYC area, and the media here is pretty down on him. That's where I got the idea his value may be low. I assumed that the Encarnacion acquisition was because he was underperforming. Perhaps he was by Yankee standards. And I don't think the Yanks would have great interest in any of our OFers (except maybe Marte) given who they already have.
CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

153931363D1A2D3B2B580 wrote: No.

The Pirates have limited trade assets.  This isn't the draft where you pick the best available talent regardless of position.  The Pirates need to target the positions where they need the most help in the near-term and longer term.
I do think they need OF help. Beyond this year, they have Reynolds, Marte, and Polanco with JMart as the 4th. And while 4th OFers like Melky are cheap on the FA market, Marte will be leaving soon. Anytime the Bucs can add a controllable, (potential) thumper OFer (for cheap), I'd think they should. If Frazier works out, you move Reynolds to CF when Marte leaves and slot him in LF. Beyond the inconsistent Polanco, there is not great power in our OF.

That said, the point about having bigger needs (pitching, catching) and using limited assets to acquire it is spot on. Frazier wouldn't be a priority.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

I would definitely be interested in Frazier. But rather than trading Dickerson I would give him a three year deal and trade Marte.

Dickerson, Reynolds, and Frazier/Polanco. Plus the haul from Marte.

I’m wondering why it is that Marte (and Polanco) are so outside of trading for most people. We do realize that we’ll soon enough be giving them away for virtually nothing? And they have hardly led this team to anything except frustration.