6/4 Pirates vs. Braves

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

6/4 Pirates vs. Braves

Post by Ecbucs »

3935346F666F676A6D72685F0 wrote: Since last September the Pirates have lost the following 6 pitchers who they figured would be a part of the 2019 staff. Taillon, Williams, Kuhl, Santana, Kela and Burdi and it is rather tough to replace that many arms. It is getting close to bringing up Keller to take a spot in the rotation, and possibly to trade a player or two who could help another team to advance to the postseason.

But they did know before the off season started that Kuhl and Santana would be gone, and they had to consider Burdi a big question mark. Since they shut down Kela in September there must have been some questions about his future too (which has played out this season).

I can see saying they couldn't have anticipated Taillon and Williams specifically but they had to expect somebody in the rotation to go down - that just seems prudent as it happens to almost every team.
Bobster21

6/4 Pirates vs. Braves

Post by Bobster21 »

5C7B6A6E6B76497D6A6B6B760F0 wrote: Since last September the Pirates have lost the following 6 pitchers who they figured would be a part of the 2019 staff. Taillon, Williams, Kuhl, Santana, Kela and Burdi and it is rather tough to replace that many arms. It is getting close to bringing up Keller to take a spot in the rotation, and possibly to trade a player or two who could help another team to advance to the postseason. Yea at some point they gotta give Keller another opportunity to redeem himself for the start he had in Cincy last week. He came back after that bad 1st inning and pitched very well the next 3 innings and deserves another shot over guys like Brault or someone like Rookie Davis. I just think it might be time for the front office to come to the realization that this team this year is just not good enough and is not going to compete for anything. So unless you have an 11 or 12 game winning streak coming up like the team did last year in early to mid July I think the Pirates need to be in the mindset of sell sell sell and sell some more. I really think the Pirates strongly need to consider trading Starling Marte more and more as everyday passes by its time to make this move.

IMHO, they either have felt that way all along or else they just don't care if they compete or not. The glut of pitching injuries they've experienced this year is unbelievable. And 2 of their healthy pitchers-Brault and Kingham-are inadequate for MLB. And they had no depth in the minors to help the Pirates pitching staff.

So here is the list of all the pitchers TBMTIB with all that financial flexibility has acquired to add to the MLB roster after the season began:

Chris Stratton (who brought an 8.59 ERA with him from the Angels).

So either TBMTIB has felt all along that the season was a lost cause and throwing AAA pitchers to the wolves was as good as any other option or else that maybe they can compete but it will have to be with a AAA pitching staff because the front office isn't interested in making moves to compensate for the pitching injuries. Beginning with 2016 the attitude of TBMTIB seems to be that they would love to win but winning isn't important enough make a lot of moves to improve the team, especially if it costs money.

I think they would deal Marte mostly because his act is wearing thin and he's due 24 million over the next 2 years. Not as part of an overall plan to improve the team. Even when they traded for Archer, it was an oddly isolated move and not part of a plan, as they made no other significant moves (other than reaping some benefits of offering minor league contracts to Cabrera and Liriano and signing Lyles as a reclamation project) since that deal last year. I don't really expect them to be sellers in general. The payroll can't get gutted much more than it already is and they don't seem very interested in an influx of talent. I think we're looking at status quo other than a possible Marte deal. Maybe the motto for the team should be "ah, whatever."
SteadyFreddy

6/4 Pirates vs. Braves

Post by SteadyFreddy »

These pitchers like Holmes, Neverauskas, Rodriguez and even guys like Brault and Kingham just have no business being on this roster. At some point guys have to earn opportunities to pitch again and these guys just aren’t getting it done. It’s a complete indictment and embarrassment on this front office not going out and doing something to try and improve this pitching staff from any of these stiffs they keep throwing out now.