Game Thread - 8/31 - Pirates @ Brewers

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

487D6A6A61586A6A61666A0F0 wrote: Would you be surprised if we won 75? 
I'd be flabbergasted if they won 65.

If the devil gave me my choice between...

A) Taking 65 right now,

Or

B) Let the season play out in hopes of winning 66 or more.....

I'm taking the 65.

That said, I don't make any deals with any devils; just fellow Buccos' fans!  They're bad enough.  ;)))))))
They have to go 16-16 the rest of the way to win 65. Not likely.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

486568797E6F78383B0A0 wrote: They went into the game shorthanded in the BP and the imbecile decided this was a good day to only let Thompson go 4 innings regardless of how well he was doing. The game has fallen apart since then.

The only thing I would add is the Plural imbeciles, his boss is responsible for this joke on us.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Heck's becks.  We went into the season short-handed.  Which imbecile do you mean? (Facetious)  :(
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

4F575552524554534E4F593C0 wrote: They went into the game shorthanded in the BP and the imbecile decided this was a good day to only let Thompson go 4 innings regardless of how well he was doing. The game has fallen apart since then.

The only thing I would add is the Plural imbeciles, his boss is responsible for this joke on us.

AAAAAA men to that.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Here's a quote by the imbecile from the Trib:

While Shelton yanked him after four innings, Thompson was efficient, giving up no runs while striking out five, walking one and allowing three hits.

“Thompson was really good,” Shelton said. “We got exactly what we wanted out of him.”

https://triblive.com/sports/shaky-defen ... milwaukee/

Thompson pitched 5 innings 5 says ago and pitched another 5 innings 5 days before that. That's equivalent to a light workload in a 5-man rotation. But the imbecile only wanted to get exactly 4 innings from him in this game. Didn't matter that the BP was shorthanded. Didn't matter that Thompson was pitching very effectively. Didn't matter that the Pirates led 1-0 and could win the series. Didn't matter that the imbecile had decided to play without Castro, his hottest hitter and who saved the previous game by starting a great DP to end it.

The strategy was not to use the available pitchers in the most effective way to win the game. The strategy (perhaps suggested to Shelton by Obi-Wan Counsell using a Jedi mind trick) was to divide up the innings with Thompson restricted to 4 and the 2nd tier relivers pitching the rest of the game. The challenge for Shelton was not to win the game/series, but rather to account for 9 innings of pitching if necessary. Luckily for the imbecile, they lost and didn't have to pitch the 9th inning. Talk about good fortune! And on the subject of good fortune, how great is it that the imbecile will be returning next season to use his unique set of skills to help transform these young players into an effective, winning unit? Is that awesome or what!?

WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

587578696E7F68282B1A0 wrote: Here's a quote by the imbecile from the Trib:

While Shelton yanked him after four innings, Thompson was efficient, giving up no runs while striking out five, walking one and allowing three hits.

“Thompson was really good,” Shelton said. “We got exactly what we wanted out of him.”

https://triblive.com/sports/shaky-defen ... milwaukee/

Thompson pitched 5 innings 5 says ago and pitched another 5 innings 5 days before that. That's equivalent to a light workload in a 5-man rotation. But the imbecile only wanted to get exactly 4 innings from him in this game. Didn't matter that the BP was shorthanded. Didn't matter that Thompson was pitching very effectively. Didn't matter that the Pirates led 1-0 and could win the series. Didn't matter that the imbecile had decided to play without Castro, his hottest hitter and who saved the previous game by starting a great DP to end it.

The strategy was not to use the available pitchers in the most effective way to win the game. The strategy (perhaps suggested to Shelton by Obi-Wan Counsell using a Jedi mind trick) was to divide up the innings with Thompson restricted to 4 and the 2nd tier relivers pitching the rest of the game. The challenge for Shelton was not to win the game/series, but rather to account for 9 innings of pitching if necessary. Luckily for the imbecile, they lost and didn't have to pitch the 9th inning. Talk about good fortune! And on the subject of good fortune, how great is it that the imbecile will be returning next season to use his unique set of skills to help transform these young players into an effective, winning unit? Is that awesome or what!?

I remember reading about how the Penguins definitely tanked in an effort to get Mario. One game in particular, instead of sending in the penalty killing unit, he sent in all forwards. One of the players said " coach, what the hell are you doing.?" Shelton definitely brings back memories
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

You don't think that Cherington and Shelton talk with each other? Come on.