Carlos Santana

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Carlos Santana

Post by Surgnbuck »

It's interesting, the Pirates have officially announced him, and yet still haven't made a corresponding move to dump someone from the 40. I guess maybe teams have a certain amount of time, like 24 hours or so? I'm guessing if they didn't dump someone right away, it speaks to me that they have a trade in the works.
Surgnbuck

Carlos Santana

Post by Surgnbuck »

6055424249704242494E42270 wrote: I'm fine with that.
You mean as far as players swinging for the fences? I don't think that was ever going to change, it was the rockets they were hitting that went to a guy playing mid right field throwing them out at first I thought was the purpose of eliminating the shifts.

I'm against the whole rule, because I always felt MLB though slow to change, does indeed change, to defeat the newest fangled wizardry from the computer banks. But it's here, so I'll hope that somehow, it benefits teams with athletic infields while helping the general populace get a base hit.

I still think we'll see a lot of left fielders doing what the 3B/SS were doing. I wonder which team is going to go heavy that route first?
GreenWeenie

Carlos Santana

Post by GreenWeenie »

Yeah. I'm fine with players "going for it." Always have been. Always will be; whether it be on offense or defense.

"Finesse" has its place. I get it.

I just prefer when people max out; accepting the associated risk of failing.

In MLB, team brass must be fine with it, too. Otherwise, players wouldn't do it.
SammyKhalifa

Carlos Santana

Post by SammyKhalifa »

675245454E7745454E4945200 wrote: Yeah.  I'm fine with players "going for it."  Always have been.  Always will be; whether it be on offense or defense.

"Finesse" has its place.  I get it.

In MLB, team brass must be fine with it, too.  Otherwise, players wouldn't do it.

Their stated goal though was to have more baserunning and balls in play, etc. Adding strategy would make the game more interesting IMO, not making it illegal.
Ecbucs

Carlos Santana

Post by Ecbucs »

The Pirates announced Wednesday that they’ve designated first baseman Lewin Diaz for assignment https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/11/ ... -diaz.html
MaineBucs

Carlos Santana

Post by MaineBucs »

This seems like an appropriate move when you have now added 2 veteran first baseman to the roster, and with Diaz having no recent track record of success offensively.
GreenWeenie

Carlos Santana

Post by GreenWeenie »

03313D3D291B38313C393631500 wrote: Yeah.  I'm fine with players "going for it."  Always have been.  Always will be; whether it be on offense or defense.

"Finesse" has its place.  I get it.

In MLB, team brass must be fine with it, too.  Otherwise, players wouldn't do it.

Their stated goal though was to have more baserunning and balls in play, etc.  Adding strategy would make the game more interesting IMO, not making it illegal. 

I haven't commented on the matter of "Shift/Ban Shifts." I commented on the opinion on a result.

I'm not sure where I stand on that issue, so I stay silent. I see the merits of proponents and opponents.

I'm also not sure how much shifts or no shifts even matter. It's always the matter of making contact.....and, if a batter does- hitting it where they aint.

Surgnbuck

Carlos Santana

Post by Surgnbuck »

426465726474070 wrote: The Pirates announced Wednesday that they’ve designated first baseman Lewin Diaz for assignment   https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/11/ ... -diaz.html
I wonder what goes through a players mind when this stuff happens. I guess at this point, it's not an uncommon occurrence for those AAAA types.
Bobster21

Carlos Santana

Post by Bobster21 »

604641545D51465058330 wrote: The Pirates announced Wednesday that they’ve designated first baseman Lewin Diaz for assignment   https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/11/ ... -diaz.html
I wonder what goes through a players mind when this stuff happens. I guess at this point, it's not an uncommon occurrence for those AAAA types.
It's gotta be disappointing for a fringe player thinking he might get a chance to make an MLB club. But I'm sure he saw the handwriting on the wall when Santana was signed after Choi was already acquired. But if another team doesn't claim him, Diaz will likely end up at Indy knowing neither Santana not Choi will Pirates more than 1 year if that. Diaz needs to put up big numbers in AAA for a shot at an MLB club or else get on with his life's work.
UtahPirate

Carlos Santana

Post by UtahPirate »

705D50414657400003320 wrote: The Pirates announced Wednesday that they’ve designated first baseman Lewin Diaz for assignment   https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/11/ ... -diaz.html

It's gotta be disappointing for a fringe player thinking he might get a chance to make an MLB club. But I'm sure he saw the handwriting on the wall when Santana was signed after Choi was already acquired. But if another team doesn't claim him, Diaz will likely end up at Indy knowing neither Santana not Choi will Pirates more than 1 year if that. Diaz needs to put up big numbers in AAA for a shot at an MLB club or else get on with his life's work.   

We acquired Diaz knowing we were close to getting Santana. I assume that we want him in the organization and would have let him know that. What I always wonder is how well organizations communicate their intentions to players.

He has gone up and down from AAA to MLB for quite a few years and given the fact he had zero options left and was barely hanging on to the Marlins roster, he had to know there was a good chance he would hit waivers this year either with them or with someone else.