Game Sunday 2/25 . . .

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Game Sunday 2/25 . . .

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I think people are getting a little ahead of themselves with regard to Kang and one very early ST game.
iabucco

Game Sunday 2/25 . . .

Post by iabucco »

My view of spring training is that it is better to see someone do well than to struggle but outside of that it carries no weight. And I think the history with Kang is even more of an extreme example. In the past, he has severely struggled in the minors. He did that rehab stint and didn't hit at all and then came up and had some big hits.

I tend to be optimistic but I can see why Kang brings excitement. The upside is really good both on defense and offense. I see the warning flags, too, but he is a guy that is easy to get excited about because he has done it at this level before.

The pirates are full of "if" players. If Kang can rebound, if Bell can bounce back, if Newman can hit like he was supposed to, if Polanco can come back strong, if Marte can be consistent, if the young pitchers can take a step forward rather than a step back. Unfortunately, that is a lot of ifs.
MaineBucs

Game Sunday 2/25 . . .

Post by MaineBucs »

Clearly it is too early to get overly excited about Kang hitting 2 home runs in one of the first spring training games.

My recent view of Kang has been that he has no future with the Pirates; he has missed too much time and could have too many problems to overcome, not the least of which is his inability to easily communicate with his teammates.

That said, it is encouraging that Kang is back with the Pirates, that he is with the team at the start of spring training, and that he managed to hit 2 over the fence. Perhaps, just perhaps, there is a glimmer of hope that he can return and be an asset to the team in 2019, and that he may be able to provide some desperately needed power.

Sure would be nice to have something go right for the Bucs on offense coming out of spring training.
SammyKhalifa

Game Sunday 2/25 . . .

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I guess that's about where I am, but then again I didn't expect to see him get this far again, so . . .

But still.  People like to be down on Colin Moran (and rightly so), but let's compare what he's done to how Kang's performed for the last 2-3 years. 
Bobster21

Game Sunday 2/25 . . .

Post by Bobster21 »

I think fans get excited about the prospect of Kang because he has more ability to hit for power than anyone else on the team's power-starved roster. Has that ability declined after 2 years of inactivity? We'll have to wait and see. But it was certainly encouraging to see 2 HRs in his first 2 ABs in ST.
dmetz

Game Sunday 2/25 . . .

Post by dmetz »

Kang has nothing to do with 1 ST game. Why not to be over the moon about an elite hitter returning to the lineup looking for personal and professional redemption?

IF HE STAYS HEALTHY, it's the surest bet in Pirateland.

Just wish we would have locked him up to a multi-year deal. Stupid to not get a team option out of his attempt at redemption. Really, Really stupid.
notes34

Game Sunday 2/25 . . .

Post by notes34 »

4A434B5A542E0 wrote: Kang has nothing to do with 1 ST game.  Why not to be over the moon about an elite hitter returning to the lineup looking for personal and professional redemption?

Just wish we would have locked him up to a multi-year deal.   Stupid to not get a team option out of his attempt at redemption.  Really, Really stupid. 
I was just saying that to a coworker this morning. I really wish they would've gotten multiple years. He will not be back next year.
dmetz

Game Sunday 2/25 . . .

Post by dmetz »

4D4C5746501017230 wrote: Kang has nothing to do with 1 ST game.  Why not to be over the moon about an elite hitter returning to the lineup looking for personal and professional redemption?

Just wish we would have locked him up to a multi-year deal.   Stupid to not get a team option out of his attempt at redemption.  Really, Really stupid. 
I was just saying that to a coworker this morning. I really wish they would've gotten multiple years. He will not be back next year.

If he does what I expect him to do, he may not be here at the end of the season.   HOWEVER, if he's feeling dishonorable still, he may agree to an extension here mid-year.  Hard to know how much guilt he has and how many HRs he believes he needs to hit before he feels like he doesn't owe the Pirates. 

As I said last year, I would've signed him to a cheap multi-year last year, let alone now.   Just on defense and athleticism alone it's a value signing.   He doesn't even need to hit for it to make sense, he has the peripheral tools to be a solid role-player, even with a punch and judy bat.    

Whatever.   It really won't matter.   We aren't going anywhere regardless. Kang is a unique talent and was a great, outstanding find by NH. Now we have a chance to make some lemonade out of the lemons his behavior caused, but doesn't look like we are too interested yet. Hopefully when we get interested, Kang is still feeling remorseful.