Hoy Park

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BenM

Hoy Park

Post by BenM »

023720202B1220202B2C20450 wrote: That changes things.  He doesn't have much.

Some GM of some team in a two horse town might have something.  Cherington doesn't have it.

So you're not willing to give him credit for anything he does.

Got it.
GreenWeenie

Hoy Park

Post by GreenWeenie »

I gave him credit for doing well in the draft.

Less than impressed with much else, beginning with his hiring of Shelton.

This is the major leagues. I dont hand out lollipops for showing up. Didn't for Huntington. Didn't for Littlefield.

rucker59@gmail.com

Hoy Park

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Sheezzz - how long Lord!?

Another board hijacked….
WildwoodDave2

Hoy Park

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

0B3E2929221B29292225294C0 wrote: So is Cherington.  Matter of fact, I think he's still trying to see everything he has.  And, he doesn't have that much.  ;) 
Thanks to Neal!
shedman

Hoy Park

Post by shedman »

655047474C7547474C4B47220 wrote: I gave him credit for doing well in the draft.

This is the major leagues.  I dont hand out lollipops for showing up.  Didn't for Huntington.  Didn't for Littlefield.

_______

Our GM's have been doing great in the draft for the last 15 years and we still have yet to win a Division Championship. How long will the fan base continue to believe this BS? Today the Rangers swooshed by us and now there are only 2 teams with a worse record than we have, and Baltimore is closing fast!!!
fjk090852-7

Hoy Park

Post by fjk090852-7 »

7B606D6C656966080 wrote: I gave him credit for doing well in the draft.

This is the major leagues.  I dont hand out lollipops for showing up.  Didn't for Huntington.  Didn't for Littlefield.

_______

Our GM's have been doing great in the draft for the last 15 years and we still have yet to win a Division Championship.  How long will the fan base continue to believe this BS?  Today the Rangers swooshed by us and now there are only 2 teams with a worse record than we have, and Baltimore is closing fast!!!

Baltimore better get on track they have lost 11 in a row. Also not certain that Pirate drafts in the past have been that successful. Guys like Will Craig, Tony Sanchez, and even Cole Tucker have not been the best #1 choices. In my opinion give it a couple years until we rate the two drafts of the current FO.
Bobster21

Hoy Park

Post by Bobster21 »

7F646968616D620C0 wrote: I gave him credit for doing well in the draft.

_______

Our GM's have been doing great in the draft for the last 15 years and we still have yet to win a Division Championship.  How long will the fan base continue to believe this BS?  Today the Rangers swooshed by us and now there are only 2 teams with a worse record than we have, and Baltimore is closing fast!!!

Maybe we need to have a separate thread for discussing the failures of prior GMs. Maybe that's why they're all gone.

And what exactly is the BS that the fanbase believes? I haven't heard anyone brimming with confidence that the Pirates are going to win any championships anytime soon. What I hear is that fans are aware that BC has focused on building up the talent in the organization and seems to be having success with that. If the Pirates are ever going to get good, that has to be step 1. It might not be enough because of Nutting but they at least have to improve the talent before they can do anything else. Just because fans don't demonstrate blind hatred of everything Pirates like you Shedman doesn't mean they are believing BS. All they're doing is watching and waiting to see how things turn out under BC. They aren't smart like you and say that BC is a total failure because the GMs who no longer work for the Pirates failed.
johnfluharty

Hoy Park

Post by johnfluharty »

5D464B4A434F402E0 wrote: I gave him credit for doing well in the draft.

_______

They drafted well in some cases and poorly in others, but one thing they've never done under Huntington was fully develop that talent after they drafted it.  We'll see how Cherrington does on that front. 
GreenWeenie

Hoy Park

Post by GreenWeenie »

I really don't care about anything except how we do in the RS and PS.

Most "draft & develop" talk is purely opinion. Experts say this. Experts say that. Fans say this. Fans say that.

The RS and PS Results do the talking, AFIAC. That's as true for the Pirates as it is for 29 other clubs.

I dont care where the players come from. There's no column for it in the standings. If they all come internally and we win the trophy, that's fine by me.
fjk090852-7

Hoy Park

Post by fjk090852-7 »

705D50414657400003320 wrote: I gave him credit for doing well in the draft.

_______

Maybe we need to have a separate thread for discussing the failures of prior GMs. Maybe that's why they're all gone.

And what exactly is the BS that the fanbase believes? I haven't heard anyone brimming with confidence that the Pirates are going to win any championships anytime soon. What I hear is that fans are aware that BC has focused on building up the talent in the organization and seems to be having success with that. If the Pirates are ever going to get good, that has to be step 1. It might not be enough because of Nutting but they at least have to improve the talent before they can do anything else. Just because fans don't demonstrate blind hatred of everything Pirates like you Shedman doesn't mean they are believing BS. All they're doing is watching and waiting to see how things turn out under BC. They aren't smart like you and say that BC is a total failure because the GMs who no longer work for the Pirates failed.
Good post. I get very tired of fans who want to criticize our current GM and the Operations Staff. Yes we can criticize Bob Nutting, but since the hiring of Ben Cherington, I will not fault him with his trades, drafts or even some waiver wire claims. Sometimes they claim a guy like today’s starter Dillon Peters, and they hope they can develop him better than his previous team. It is a shot in the dark, but if he is successful they got a bargain. The 3 lower classification farm teams have some young and talented players. Indy has a couple players such as Marcano who appear to have MLB potential. Unfortunately there was no minor league games last year, so this is the initial season for some of the Pirates prospects. Yes, the Pirates have frustrated me, but as a older fan, I can see that BC has the team heading in the right direction. The Pirates future is looking much brighter.