8/20 vs Braves. Newman at 2B.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

RichD

Post by RichD »

4A46471C151C14191E011B2C0 wrote: Going to the game tonight. Would prefer to see Marte but if he needs a kick in the ass so be it.
He needs a kick for sure. His lackadaisical play at times drives me crazy. He strikeouts out and then walks back to the dugout appearing like ho, hum I struck out.

Marte isn't a difference maker he is a side dish . Bucs just need to get him traded this offseason . His numbers will look good hopefully . Should be able to get a blue chipper and more .I have neve liked Marte.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

202921303E440 wrote: Are you guys ready for this:  Atlant SP Kevin Gausman has been replace at the starter for tonight's game by rookie Bryse Wilson who was called up specifically to start the game.  The Braves reasoning is that they want to give Gausman and the rest of the SP staff an extra day off.

Looks like a real contender is taking a page from the NH/CH book and giving the guys a rest ala the Clay Holmes game. 

Just hope the the Bryse Wilson game ends up for the Braves like the Clay Holmes game did for the Bucs.

Whoa.  Why am I on your signature line?  If you want to ban me for Moran, then ban me.  Life will go on.   

This passive - aggressive stuff is for kids.

Cya guys!  Go bucs!

The sig line is not intended to ban you or even keep you from getting down on Moran. I just think that you and Davis Square have made reading post about Moran worthwhile. You don't like the guy so be it. But please don't go away. You guys both add so much more than your Moran posts. Sorry for the giving you the wrong impression. By the way Joliet Jake and Jake were the "Blues Brothers" aka Dan Ackroyd and John Belushi!
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Did Polanco just flaunt a “Marte Trot”? Bearly jogging down 1st base line.

Hurdle allowed this stuff for years, I would not be surprised if Polanco stood with Marte.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

Well, we have the 1-0 loss down pat.
RichD

Post by RichD »

Oh my !!! How is this possible over and over again, another 1-0 loss . :'( These position players stink all of them .
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

It’s been since 1888 that something like this has happened to the Pirates where they have suffered 3 1-0 losses in a 5 game span of giving up only 5 runs. So incredibly frustrating to see this happen it’s truky unbelievable.
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

Had you told me our pitching would only allow one run five games in a row I would be thrilled. I would reasonably expect that would result in four or five wins.

If you told me me would only score five total runs in five games I would expect we would be lucky to win a game. I guess 2-3 in this weird stretch isn't so bad considering.

The pitchers have been pretty phenomenal....but after spraining his ankle on a check-swing Archer is going to have to cough up some Kangaroo money.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Pirates baseball.

An amazing 5 straight games of allowing just 1 run.

And going 2-3.

Unreal.

Only the Pirates.

This offense is BEYOND HOPELESS.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

On the 5-game homestand so far, the Pirates have scored in exactly 3 out of 47 innings.

Analysis: They're not good at hitting.
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

0D2F3C212227202F0C3B2D2D214E0 wrote: I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just noting the difference in organizational philosophies.

The Pirates have always struck me as being one of the most deliberate -- perhaps THE most deliberate -- organization in terms of promoting prospects.

The Pirates never, ever move a prospect through the system the way the Braves have moved Wilson. But it seems like lots of other teams move guys up quickly and sometimes even promote them straight from AA.

If Wilson was in the Pirates system, with the exact same age and skill set and just 2 years removed from high school, he'd be lucky to be out of Bradenton by now.

Wonder what someone like Keller thinks as he is watching this ...

I think philosophy in terms of development is part of it.  I think finances and control factors in as well.   I think the Bucs want six years of MLB service out of players starting at 23 or 24 rather than at 20 or 21.  The slow progression through the minors might well have factored in to players like Apple, Lodolo, and Hoglund opting not to sign with the Bucs.   For a top performing player, a delayed entry into the majors could cost them millions over a career.