8/15 Archer vs Twins

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

RichD

8/15 Archer vs Twins

Post by RichD »

We need some power in a bad way .There is none in the minors either . So we need to trade for it .Moran has been a big disappointment to me .

We could go after AJ Reed in the Houston system .He seems to have fallen out of favor but he is still crushing the ball . But then what to do with Bell ?

Vasquez could be a nice trade chip he is now a proven closer with 2 years of stats. Harrison will be gone and Kramer will be 2b I would guess but that kid is striking out too much for a mere 12 hr.

Look at the Bluejays top prospects pretty impressive. They got some power hitters brewing in Cavan Biggio 2b /Vlad jr 3b Bichett  ss/2b /3b . Plus the just added an OF Sparenburger or something . these guys hit .

Neil needs to find us the next Brian Giles or Jason Bay in the offseason. And use Vasquez as the chip .
Bobster21

8/15 Archer vs Twins

Post by Bobster21 »

It's over. No chance. Since winning 11 straight, which only put them on the fringe of the WC conversation, they have gone 8-11. The 11-0 streak was only meaningful if they could sustain success. Obviously, they could not. But that was a tall order anyway. Made all the more unlikely by the atrocious managing of Clint Hurdle. Even in this 2 game sweep by the lowly Twins, Hurdle entered the series with 2 red hot hitters: Frazier and Freese. Frazier sat out the first loss and Freese only PH in the second. There is something seriously wrong with Hurdle's thought process to the extent that he is a serious detriment to winning. But he's under contract fort 3 more years. I don't even see the point of discussing years of control for players when the manager will waste the next 3 years anyway with gross incompetence.
dmetz

8/15 Archer vs Twins

Post by dmetz »

Yes. When you chase their starter in the 4th, you can't put up zeros the rest of the way.

Offense for the goat. Frazier with a big 0-4 in the 2 hole and Bell 0-4 at cleanup. 12 hits 10 singles. Gotta drive the baseball guys. Xbh please
dmetz

8/15 Archer vs Twins

Post by dmetz »

Truth is, all we really need is a Clay Holmes spot start to get these guys rested up and back on track. 

So let's shower it off and get some rest.

Team was hot, we all but threw a game to rest starters due to altitude or biometric data or something.  Team has lost it's footing since.

Frazier was hot.   Rested yesterday even after having Monday off ..0-4 in his triumphant return to the lineup.

We're not getting enough rest.  The guys are playing fatigued.
Ecbucs

8/15 Archer vs Twins

Post by Ecbucs »

624F42535445521211200 wrote: It's over. No chance. Since winning 11 straight, which only put them on the fringe of the WC conversation, they have gone 8-11.  The 11-0 streak was only meaningful if they could sustain success. Obviously, they could not. But that was a tall order anyway. Made all the more unlikely by the atrocious managing of Clint Hurdle. Even in this 2 game sweep by the lowly Twins, Hurdle entered the series with 2 red hot hitters: Frazier and Freese. Frazier sat out the first loss and Freese only PH in the second. There is something seriously wrong with Hurdle's thought process to the extent that he is a serious detriment to winning. But he's under contract fort 3 more years. I don't even see the point of discussing years of control for players when the manager will waste the next 3 years anyway with gross incompetence.

11-0 and then 8-11 doesn't cut it. Needed to go at least 11-8. Just too many teams ahead to beat them all out with this few games left.
skinnyhorse

8/15 Archer vs Twins

Post by skinnyhorse »

426F62737465723231000 wrote: It's over. No chance. Since winning 11 straight, which only put them on the fringe of the WC conversation, they have gone 8-11.  The 11-0 streak was only meaningful if they could sustain success. Obviously, they could not. But that was a tall order anyway. Made all the more unlikely by the atrocious managing of Clint Hurdle. Even in this 2 game sweep by the lowly Twins, Hurdle entered the series with 2 red hot hitters: Frazier and Freese. Frazier sat out the first loss and Freese only PH in the second. There is something seriously wrong with Hurdle's thought process to the extent that he is a serious detriment to winning. But he's under contract fort 3 more years. I don't even see the point of discussing years of control for players when the manager will waste the next 3 years anyway with gross incompetence.
Yes sir glad to see more folks get what's been going on with the Pirates for the past few years. Hurdle is the disaster no matter what talent we have this guy will blow up anything.
CarolinaBucco

8/15 Archer vs Twins

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Boy this was a killer 2-game set (and now have lost 4 of the last 5 since the starting rotation needed a holiday).

I think today marked either The End, or The Beginning of the End.

If it was The Beginning of the End, I think THE END will come this weekend.

4 games at home vs. the Cubs.

And if I'm not mistaken, the Cubs are starting 4 lefties.

That is BAD NEWS for the Pirates.

Pirates desperately need to win 3 of 4. I won't be surprised if it's 0 of 4. I'm sensing the wheels are going to come off right about now.

Could be an ugly weekend ... made even uglier by the crowd at PNC Park being 50+ percent Flub fans.
RichD

8/15 Archer vs Twins

Post by RichD »

Just got my case of MRE`s from Walmart online today .About to fire up beef strips and Asian vegetables . This pack is loaded with cookie, coffee, pb/jelly, crackers and rice . It all comes with a water based heater ….wow gonna set the desk on fire and eat 1800 calories before bed ….lol
MaineBucs

8/15 Archer vs Twins

Post by MaineBucs »

Tough losses to the Twins over the last two games. Two games that the team really needed to win.

While teams do come out of nowhere and go on unexpected winning streaks (e.g. Pirates winning 11 in a row), things do not look good for the Pirates for this season.

But, unexpected things do happen. My current pessimism would disappear in a heartbeat is the team suddenly and quite unbelievably suddenly rose up and spanked the Cubs in the upcoming series at PNC. Hard to see it happening, perhaps even inconceivable, but weird events have unfolded before.
Bobster21

8/15 Archer vs Twins

Post by Bobster21 »

1D31393E3512253323500 wrote: Tough losses to the Twins over the last two games.  Two games that the team really needed to win.

While teams do come out of nowhere and go on unexpected winning streaks (e.g. Pirates winning 11 in a row), things do not look good for the Pirates for this season.

But, unexpected things do happen.  My current pessimism would disappear in a heartbeat is the team suddenly and quite unbelievably suddenly rose up and spanked the Cubs in the upcoming series at PNC.  Hard to see it happening, perhaps even inconceivable, but weird events have unfolded before.   
In Clint Hurdle's one and only winning season in Colorado in 2007, the Rockies split the first 14 games in September and were just 76-72 on 9/15 with 3 teams ahead of them for the WC spot. They then won 11 straight and 14 of the last 15 to get the WC spot, then sweeps of 2 playoff series (which gave them wins in 10 straight and 21 of 22 games) to get to the WS where they were swept by Boston. So it's possible for totally crazy, unexpected things to happen. OTOH, it's disheartening to realize it took that wild, incredible end of season streak by the Rockies to give Clint his only season with Colorado not below .500. TBMTIColorado wasn't too impressed and fired him 46 games into the 2009 season (his 8th year there). I guess they didn't like his chances of repeating that unbelievable feat. But that's pretty much all we're hanging our hat on.