Cole v Glasnow

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BenM

Cole v Glasnow

Post by BenM »

I wonder if Nutting is mad at the Archer trade not because he lost young talent, but because he has to pay Archer millions more than Glasnow and Meadows.
johnfluharty

Cole v Glasnow

Post by johnfluharty »

Crazy thought - Could the real purpose of that trade have been to sour the fan base on the idea of acquiring 'name' players at the deadline?
SammyKhalifa

Cole v Glasnow

Post by SammyKhalifa »

3E3B3C3A3238213C3526202D540 wrote: Crazy thought - Could the real purpose of that trade have been to sour the fan base on the idea of acquiring 'name' players at the deadline?

;D
Ecbucs

Cole v Glasnow

Post by Ecbucs »

727770767E746D70796A6C61180 wrote: Crazy thought - Could the real purpose of that trade have been to sour the fan base on the idea of acquiring 'name' players at the deadline?

you might have something here. DL made the Matt Morris trade because he could't stand the stress of being GM. He didn't want to be called a quitter so he could resign. Made the worst trade he could think of so he would get fired.

Rather than souring the fan base it was Neal's cry for help.
Bobster21

Cole v Glasnow

Post by Bobster21 »

7D5B5A4D5B4B380 wrote: Crazy thought - Could the real purpose of that trade have been to sour the fan base on the idea of acquiring 'name' players at the deadline?

you might have something here.  DL made the Matt Morris trade because he could't stand the stress of being GM.  He didn't want to be called a quitter so he could resign.  Made the worst trade he could think of so he would get fired. 

The handwriting was already on the wall for Littlefield's imminent firing. The Morris trade was a last ditch effort to make a splash move to save his job. I doubt it's the trade he wanted to make but nothing else developed as of July 31 and he was desperate to do something by the deadline. SF was even offering to pay some of Morris' salary to move him but DL offered to pick up the entire salary to ensure his offer would be accepted. Morris had only pitched 7 games for the Bucs when Littlefield was fired, 2 of which were very good. In fact, in the 36 games between Morris being acquired and DL being fired the Bucs had a winning record of 19-17. DL was just a goner either way. Those were the rumors and he was desperate. I suspect he knew that if was fired he wouldn't be the GM hamstrung by Morris' salary. And if Morris did well, it would be a feather in DL's cap at the same time his firing was being speculated.

The Archer deal looks like an attempt to appease the fan base with a name player. So much so that they overlooked that he had been struggling for 3 years and was in the midst of his worst season at the time of the trade. It's hard to believe they didn't know that. But they made the deal anyway. Fans were angry at the lack of any willingness to acquire name players and Archer was the rare name player with a team friendly contract. That combination seems to have been more important to TBMTIB that on field performance, which had been lacking for Archer for 3 years. And the Pirates seemed to have become exasperated with Glasnow who could never bring his outstanding AAA performance to MLB. Finally, they gave up on him. At that time he was such a failure that he had little trade value. But given Archer's downward spiral of the last 3 years, a Meadows for Archer deal might have been more than fair. But the Pirates were so enamored with obtaining a name player they sweetened the pot with Glasnow, who they gave up on and, inexplicably, Baz too. And even when Meadows was doing great for the Pirates that year, they took him out of the starting role he had been in, made him part of a rotation so that the always frustrating Polanco didn't have to sit too much, and then optioned him. It seemed like they didn't filly appreciate what they had in Meadows and didn't know how to develop Glasnow. And adding Baz remains inexplicable. Just a horrible trade on many levels.
SammyKhalifa

Cole v Glasnow

Post by SammyKhalifa »

My biggest issue with it is still the timing. Why last year of all the times? If you think he's still good, fine, but we weren't going anywhere anyhow.
Ecbucs

Cole v Glasnow

Post by Ecbucs »

5A6864647042616865606F68090 wrote: My biggest issue with it is still the timing.  Why last year of all the times?  If you think he's still good, fine, but we weren't going anywhere anyhow. 

I think it was a move made for 2019. They thought Archer would be good (and cheap). Archer, Taillon would be a cheap 1-2.

Pretty big miscalculation.

BenM

Cole v Glasnow

Post by BenM »

715C51404756410102330 wrote: Crazy thought - Could the real purpose of that trade have been to sour the fan base on the idea of acquiring 'name' players at the deadline?

you might have something here.  DL made the Matt Morris trade because he could't stand the stress of being GM.  He didn't want to be called a quitter so he could resign.  Made the worst trade he could think of so he would get fired. 

The handwriting was already on the wall for Littlefield's imminent firing. The Morris trade was a last ditch effort to make a splash move to save his job. I doubt it's the trade he wanted to make but nothing else developed as of July 31 and he was desperate to do something by the deadline. SF was even offering to pay some of Morris' salary to move him but DL offered to pick up the entire salary to ensure his offer would be accepted. Morris had only pitched 7 games for the Bucs when Littlefield was fired, 2 of which were very good. In fact, in the 36 games between Morris being acquired and DL being fired the Bucs had a winning record of 19-17. DL was just a goner either way. Those were the rumors and he was desperate. I suspect he knew that if was fired he wouldn't be the GM hamstrung by Morris' salary. And if Morris did well, it would be a feather in DL's cap at the same time his firing was being speculated.

The Archer deal looks like an attempt to appease the fan base with a name player. So much so that they overlooked that he had been struggling for 3 years and was in the midst of his worst season at the time of the trade. It's hard to believe they didn't know that. But they made the deal anyway. Fans were angry at the lack of any willingness to acquire name players and Archer was the rare name player with a team friendly contract. That combination seems to have been more important to TBMTIB that on field performance, which had been lacking for Archer for 3 years. And the Pirates seemed to have become exasperated with Glasnow who could never bring his outstanding AAA performance to MLB. Finally, they gave up on him. At that time he was such a failure that he had little trade value. But given Archer's downward spiral of the last 3 years, a Meadows for Archer deal might have been more than fair. But the Pirates were so enamored with obtaining a name player they sweetened the pot with Glasnow, who they gave up on and, inexplicably, Baz too. And even when Meadows was doing great for the Pirates that year, they took him out of the starting role he had been in, made him part of a rotation so that the always frustrating Polanco didn't have to sit too much, and then optioned him. It seemed like they didn't filly appreciate what they had in Meadows and didn't know how to develop Glasnow. And adding Baz remains inexplicable. Just a horrible trade on many levels.   

It's a trade that should get a GM fires. But that's not going to happen.

I admit, when the trade first happened, I thought it might be a good one. Then I looked at Archer's Baseball Reference page and found out that not only was he declining, he was never as good as I thought he was. Looking at his numbers, I don't know how he became a "name" player.
SammyKhalifa

Cole v Glasnow

Post by SammyKhalifa »

73545F7C310 wrote: Crazy thought - Could the real purpose of that trade have been to sour the fan base on the idea of acquiring 'name' players at the deadline?

It's a trade that should get a GM fires. But that's not going to happen.

I admit, when the trade first happened, I thought it might be a good one. Then I  looked at Archer's Baseball Reference page and found out that not only was he declining, he was never as good as I thought he was. Looking at his numbers, I don't know how he became a "name" player.

He was always a 2 not a 1.  But we overvalued him here because he was on another team, and fans here decided we need him but would never do it because we're too cheap. Grass is greener, etc., etc.
dmetz

Cole v Glasnow

Post by dmetz »

Yep fans fault. The fans decided. Darned fans