Shane Baz - Game 2 Starter

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

7144535358615353585F53360 wrote: I was no Huntington fan, and still not.

Even I see his accomplishments.  I can't be the only person who remembers those 20 years of consistent floundering that we lived through.

I can't be the only one who remembers what the first of three straight WCG appearances felt like, or that we did it the other two times, too.

The drop was caused by the team's owner.  Guys left.

The Bay Trade.  The Archer Trade.  Written with permanent marker.

So Sandoval's signing up in Boston.

It comes with the job.  Unfortunately, the owner comes with our job.

I hurt some for Neal due to how he reacted to BN's tight pocketbook. If he would have been smart he would have resigned and moved on to another GM job where he could have gotten a real chance to get it right.

I just hope that BC has the balls to tell BN where to go if he does not come through with his promise to spend more on the payroll.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

6C594E4E457C4E4E45424E2B0 wrote: You could take the position that once a guy's gone, they're gone.  It worked for me a while.

What ifs can be fun.  They can frustrate.  Most of the time, they're time wasters.  Can't do a thing about them. 

Folks in Philadelphia still bitch about the Sonny Jurgenson trade.

So, we're the butt of a few jokes for a while.  At least WE have an excuse. 
There are probably people on here who don't know who Sonny Jurgenson was. I wish I was one of them
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Some people know what Google can be used for.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

56686D65766E6E654560776433010 wrote: You could take the position that once a guy's gone, they're gone.  It worked for me a while.

What ifs can be fun.  They can frustrate.  Most of the time, they're time wasters.  Can't do a thing about them. 

Folks in Philadelphia still bitch about the Sonny Jurgenson trade.

So, we're the butt of a few jokes for a while.  At least WE have an excuse. 
There are probably people on here who don't know who Sonny Jurgenson was. I wish I was one of them
I have no idea who Sonny Jurgenson was. But what the heck were the Eagles thinking when they traded him for Norm Snead? ;)
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

17363E173C34530 wrote: I was no Huntington fan, and still not.

Even I see his accomplishments.  I can't be the only person who remembers those 20 years of consistent floundering that we lived through.

I can't be the only one who remembers what the first of three straight WCG appearances felt like, or that we did it the other two times, too.

I hurt some for Neal due to how he reacted to BN's tight pocketbook.  If he would have been smart he would have resigned and moved on to another GM job where he could have gotten a real chance to get it right. 

I just hope that BC has the balls to tell BN where to go if he does not come through with his promise to spend more on the payroll.

I felt the same, Possum, that Neal could have resigned. Surely, other ownership groups would have hired him. Who knows? Maybe one might have named him president.

I guess he felt that he could have gone the distance, even with handcuffs. I could see that.

Moving's tough. I dnk if he has kids. I know that families get used to it, but he was on the job a while. That's a double-edged sword- balancing comfort against complacency.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

1C3D351C373F580 wrote: I was no Huntington fan, and still not.

I hurt some for Neal due to how he reacted to BN's tight pocketbook.  If he would have been smart he would have resigned and moved on to another GM job where he could have gotten a real chance to get it right. 

Count me as one who appreciates what Neal did and totally confused by how he veered off course. Personally, I can not believe he was the guy behind the Archer trade. But maybe he was - there was a lot of excitement in July for the Pirates making a run. And there were a lot of people very happy after the trade that the Pirates were focused on “this year”, trying to win now. And Glasnow looked to be worth dumping for anything.

Meadows didn’t make sense, but you don’t get ML starting pitching for only Baz and Glasnow . So. A lot of people thought the Pirates were actually acting like a big league team.

After 2016 fiasco I suspect there was a tremendous amount of pressure, internally, to get a winner back on the field. Point being - Neal gets all the “credit” for this screw up, but I bet there were a lot hands in the middle of this.

He did pull Reynolds out of a hat.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I know that some could disagree, but he had a number of decent reclamations....and, Hurdle would've gone to the Mets.

Who would we rather have- Shelton? Hurdle?

Not the best of choices, but it's what we had. I go Hurdle.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Not a good comparison. Neal’s first act as a GM was to hire Russell as manager. Just like BC hired Shelton. Russell and Shelton are warm bodies while the Pirates rebuild.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Agree. Poor comparison

Both could hire only the guys who applied at the time. I gave BC a pass on Shelton.

My mistake is that I meant more to say that I give NH credit for Hurdle. Should've left it at that and not mention Shelty.

Thx.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

477265656E5765656E6965000 wrote: Agree.  Poor comparison

Both could hire only the guys who applied at the time.  I gave BC a pass on Shelton.

My mistake is that I meant more to say that I give NH credit for Hurdle.  Should've left it at that and not mention Shelty.

Thx.

I found this article about the hiring of Shelton and I had not known that Cherington knew him previously.

Shelton spent the past two years as the Twins’ bench coach, first under Paul Molitor and most recently alongside Baldelli with the 2019 American League Central champions. He spent 2017 as the Blue Jays’ quality control coach, a position in which he crossed paths with Cherington while he was in Toronto’s front office. Shelton served as the Rays’ hitting coach under manager Joe Maddon and Kevin Cash for seven seasons (’10-16) and worked as the Indians’ hitting coach for five years (’05-09) before that.

“I have known Derek for more than 15 years and have great admiration for his passion for the game and players, work ethic, curiosity and desire to learn,” Cherington said in a statement. “He has worked and learned from some of the best in the game, and in turn has helped players and colleagues learn and improve during his 20 years of coaching and managing. We are confident Derek will help lead an elite playing and coaching environment at the Major League level and be a true partner to all of baseball operations as we challenge each other to get better every day.

https://www.mlb.com/news/derek-shelton- ... es-manager